2017 Bowling thread

New year, new thread I guess. The HS bowling season just finished up for us. My daughter was on JV the entire year but both varsity and JV went undefeated in regular season matches. She finished the season with a 180 average and set a new personal high game of 256. That was tied for 2nd highest game of the season. One other girl got a 257.

They were in quite a few tournaments and invites throughout the season and won most of them or at least placed 2nd. They only finished 3rd in one tournament. I wasn’t there but I heard they all had a really, really bad day. They are still ranked #1 or #2 in the state though depending on who you ask.

Same story with the JV team although they actually bowled at the varsity level in a few of the tournaments. They finished 6th, 8th and 3rd in those. Which is pretty good for a JV team because in most of the tournaments there were 10 - 15 teams.

The best was yesterday when they had a freshman/sophomore tournament. They didn’t even bother sending the two best sophomores because they’ve been bowling varsity since they were freshman and would’ve just destroyed everyone. There were only 4 girls teams and 15 boys teams. Our girls took first and would’ve actually placed 3rd had they had been bowling against the boys teams. Our boys team took first as well.

It was funny though because they had the girls bowling on the same lanes as the boys. After each game teams on even lanes would move one pair right and odd lanes would go one pair left. Well the girls chant when they bowl. A lot. Loudly. I think that unnerved quite a few of them. Besides the fact that the girls were better than them. :lol:

So now we get a few weeks break and then the spring leagues start up. I’ll be bowling with her in another Adult/youth league coming up in February. I’ve open bowled a few times but haven’t been on a league since October/November.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
Heh, I actually bought a ball in November and have been practicing twice a week with some friends in anticipation of eventually joining a league. I had my first 500 series last week (yay) and have been finally starting to get my ball hooking nicely. Any tips for beginners?

Being able to replicate your shot is where it is at. When you find a line/speed/grip that works, can you keep throwing it there until it doesn't? That is a problem I am having as I get older and my body keeps falling apart. My knee is swollen like a softball and gets drained every few months, and my feet hurt because of it and arthritis in my hands have me dropping the ball 6 or 7 times a night. So me being able to put the ball in the same place each throw is an extreme effort. In my every-other-week league I am doing good (192 avr) but in my weekly I am almost 20 pins less (173).

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
Heh, I actually bought a ball in November and have been practicing twice a week with some friends in anticipation of eventually joining a league. I had my first 500 series last week (yay) and have been finally starting to get my ball hooking nicely. Any tips for beginners?

If you haven't been bowling long a 500 series is pretty good. As Alpha said, it's all about repetition. Same stance, same footwork, same back-swing, same release every single time. Then it's about making minor adjustments based how the ball is reacting to the lane and how fast the oil breaks down.

If you're just wanting to join a league to have fun, then I'd say get a decent ball (probably in the $130 - $150) range and make sure it's drilled properly to fit you. The really good pro shops will actually watch you bowl a few frames and drill your ball based on your throw.

If you're looking to eventually get into tournaments and make some money then it's a matter of practicing a lot. 3 games 4-5 times a week.

Although the best advise IMO is simply work on your spares. Anybody can throw a strike but open frames will kill your game. Even a clean game with mostly spares should put you in the 170 - 180 range. Make sure you know how to pick up the basic spares. 7-pin, 10-pin, 4-pins, 6-pin, 7-4, 6-10, 1-3-6, 1-2, ect...

Edited by Iwritecode

Appreciate the comments fellas. I'm not interested in getting into tournaments because I simply don't have 4-5 days a week to dedicate, but definitely looking to join some local league for competitive fun. I did buy a $200 ball, got it drilled at the pro shop I got it from. Everything feels great and I'm really enjoying my ball so far.

This might be a really good thing, but I have been doing incredibly well at picking up my spares. I don't often string together strikes, but I did put together another mid-500's series this past Tuesday and another 500 this past Thursday. I felt pretty good on Thursday because in my final two games I left only one open frame and that was with few strikes. As you said, the games were like 185 and 195. As of now I'm inconsistent with my first ball. I've just recently started to actually get hook on my ball, but it's inconsistent yet. Sometimes it doesn't make it to the pocket, sometimes it gets too much of the head pin, and sometimes it drifts to the backdoor pocket. Sometimes it hits the pocket right on the money, though, and those feel nice. I'm just working on the repetition there and no doubt I'll make some progress soon enough. If I can get some more consistent strikes and keep up my propensity to pick up spares, I'll be really happy with the progress I've made in only a few months.

As an aside, my buddy is an absolute freak of nature. Last time he seriously bowled was in high school (~10 years ago) and he started joining me twice a week and throws his dads old ball the same way he did in high school, which is thumbless. His accuracy is insane. He has had several 200+ games in only a couple of months, and just this past Thursday had a 277 which was part of a 700 series. Everything I read online says thumbless bowling can be very inconsistent but he's just got his style down and it works for him. He started worrying me with talk of learning how to bowl like everyone else, using the thumb and everything. I argue that it might be a tough transition for him, especially since we're bowling mostly for fun and maybe for competition some time this year. Furthermore, I argue that he is enjoying great success with his style of bowling and why fix what isn't broken? He did mention that he wants to be able to adjust to different lane conditions should he go to different bowling alleys since one time we went to a different bowling center and his ball had almost no hook at all despite the revolutions he puts on it.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 21, 2017 -> 08:09 PM)
Appreciate the comments fellas. I'm not interested in getting into tournaments because I simply don't have 4-5 days a week to dedicate, but definitely looking to join some local league for competitive fun. I did buy a $200 ball, got it drilled at the pro shop I got it from. Everything feels great and I'm really enjoying my ball so far.

This might be a really good thing, but I have been doing incredibly well at picking up my spares. I don't often string together strikes, but I did put together another mid-500's series this past Tuesday and another 500 this past Thursday. I felt pretty good on Thursday because in my final two games I left only one open frame and that was with few strikes. As you said, the games were like 185 and 195. As of now I'm inconsistent with my first ball. I've just recently started to actually get hook on my ball, but it's inconsistent yet. Sometimes it doesn't make it to the pocket, sometimes it gets too much of the head pin, and sometimes it drifts to the backdoor pocket. Sometimes it hits the pocket right on the money, though, and those feel nice. I'm just working on the repetition there and no doubt I'll make some progress soon enough. If I can get some more consistent strikes and keep up my propensity to pick up spares, I'll be really happy with the progress I've made in only a few months.

Sounds like you are on the right path. Getting better is just a matter of practice and consistency. Even the pro bowlers miss the pocket sometimes. That just means that you did something different. And there are literally dozens of things you can mess up on every throw.

When you miss you have to figure out what you did different and try to correct it on the next shot. Could be you missed your mark. Or you were off-balance. Or didn't get enough lift on your throw. Or your footwork was off. Or any number of things. Then there are the times where you hit the pocket perfectly and the pins just don't fall right. That's just bad luck.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 21, 2017 -> 08:09 PM)
As an aside, my buddy is an absolute freak of nature. Last time he seriously bowled was in high school (~10 years ago) and he started joining me twice a week and throws his dads old ball the same way he did in high school, which is thumbless. His accuracy is insane. He has had several 200+ games in only a couple of months, and just this past Thursday had a 277 which was part of a 700 series. Everything I read online says thumbless bowling can be very inconsistent but he's just got his style down and it works for him. He started worrying me with talk of learning how to bowl like everyone else, using the thumb and everything. I argue that it might be a tough transition for him, especially since we're bowling mostly for fun and maybe for competition some time this year. Furthermore, I argue that he is enjoying great success with his style of bowling and why fix what isn't broken? He did mention that he wants to be able to adjust to different lane conditions should he go to different bowling alleys since one time we went to a different bowling center and his ball had almost no hook at all despite the revolutions he puts on it.

I know a guy that bowls with no thumb. Like your buddy, he's really good. I've seen him throw a 300 game before. Really, there is no "right way" to bowl. It's whatever you're comfortable with and whatever works. Arguably the best bowler in the world (Jason Belmonte) is a two-hander.

If he's having trouble adjusting to different lanes he might think about getting another ball or 2. If he's not getting any hook then maybe he needs a ball that reacts better to oily lanes.

With the HS bowlers they all have at least 3 balls. One for oily lanes, one for dry lanes and a spare ball. Although many of them have 5 or 6.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
The boys team won state last weekend. Girls start with regionals this weekend.

The girls literally swept the post-season. Highest score of all the teams in the regionals, highest score of all the teams in the sectionals and then yesterday they won state.

linky

• 2 months later...

A few months ago, my company started organizing bowling outings about twice a month. It was simply supposed to be a way to go out and have some fun and a few drinks with co-workers. I hadn't been able to make it to the previous outings for one reason or another but one of my co-workers that went mentioned something about taking the top bowlers on a trip to Japan.

Then we had a company meeting last week and the entire story came out. Our company was privately owned up until last December when we were bought by a large Japanese company. So apparently at some point our CEO and the CEO of the Japanese company got together and somehow bowling got brought up. So it was decided to take the top four bowlers from each location and put them in a competition together. They put the averages up of the people that have already been bowling and the ones at the top were only in the 150's or so. I can pretty much hit that in my sleep so I decided to join in.

We went last night and I shot 246, 199, 213. Apparently my name has been floating around the company all day long. :D

I have to bowl 2 more times as they are taking our top 3 3-game series. The trip is planned for October. It would be pretty cool to get an all-expense paid trip to Japan for doing nothing more than being a pretty decent bowler. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 10:14 PM)
The girls literally swept the post-season. Highest score of all the teams in the regionals, highest score of all the teams in the sectionals and then yesterday they won state.

linky

Our girls won the National Championship on Saturday. Boys came in 2nd.

link

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)

link

The girls got their National Championship rings on Friday. They look good with the State Championship rings.

rings.jpg

On a personal note, I shot a 279 last night. Left one single 10-pin in the 8th frame or else I could've had 300. Ended with a 704 series. First 700 series in a long time.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
The girls got their National Championship rings on Friday. They look good with the State Championship rings.

rings.jpg

On a personal note, I shot a 279 last night. Left one single 10-pin in the 8th frame or else I could've had 300. Ended with a 704 series. First 700 series in a long time.

That is awesome, and that is also awesome.

I hadn't bowled for a long time prior to last year, but finally built my strength back up and found my mechanics, only for the year to end and to lose them again. Bowling pretty regularly on Thursdays this year though, so hopefully they come back quickly. I had gotten to the point last year where I felt a anything less than 540 was disappointing and was expecting at least 600 every time out.

• 4 months later...

Last night, a guy (in his 20s) bowling against us threw 11 strikes in a row. they were like carbon copies of each other (except for 1 that had slightly different action). Going for the perfect game, he threw what looked like another perfect strike, but only knocked down 8 pins. Ended with a 298.

Really disappointed for him, but it was so impressive to see in person.

I had a 156 and felt like Earl Anthony.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 05:48 PM)
Last night, a guy (in his 20s) bowling against us threw 11 strikes in a row. they were like carbon copies of each other (except for 1 that had slightly different action). Going for the perfect game, he threw what looked like another perfect strike, but only knocked down 8 pins. Ended with a 298.

Really disappointed for him, but it was so impressive to see in person.

I had a 156 and felt like Earl Anthony.

I watched a HS sophmore (I think he's 15 or 16) throw a 300 game about a month ago. He's the son of the coach of the girls team so his dad got to see him throw it. It's always so eerie when they get to that last strike because the entire house just goes silent.

There is an interesting youtube series about E.A.R.L. the bowling robot and the quest to get him to bowl a 900 series. As of now, I don't think they've managed it quite yet. You'd think with it being a robot that can throw the exact same shot every single time it would be pretty easy. Just goes to show how much a little luck and making small adjustments factors in.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 09:14 PM)

linky

Almost one year to the day, the girls repeated as state champions.

http://www.wifr.com/content/sports/Harlem-...-474399693.html

• 1 month later...

Shot a 279 last night. Had a 9-spare in the third frame but everything else was strikes. Didn't even realize what I had done until the game was over. Just get up, throw the ball, sit back down.

I lost the pocket in the second game but stayed clean. Lots of 7-spares. I think I had 3 or 4 in a row at one point. Ended up with a 195.

I found the pocket again in the third game but left the big 4 in the 8th frame and then ended up with a 6-7 split in the 10th. Still managed a 205 but my series was only 679. Those splits ruined my chance at 700.

• 2 months later...

Joined a new adult/youth bowling league for the summer at a house that I basically grew up in. It was (still is) 2 blocks from my parent's house and I spent my entire youth bowling career there on Saturday mornings.

It started a few weeks ago but we didn't bowl on Memorial Day and we were on vacation last week. So I was worried I'd be a little off after having so much time off.

One of my best friends that lived right across the street from me and bowled with me in the same Saturday morning league is also in the league with his daughter. We bowled against each other last night and had a bit of an old school match-up.

I shot 730 and he shot 707.  We decided that we should bowl against each other more often. 😄

On 4/4/2018 at 3:33 PM, Iwritecode said:

Shot a 279 last night. Had a 9-spare in the third frame but everything else was strikes. Didn't even realize what I had done until the game was over. Just get up, throw the ball, sit back down.

I lost the pocket in the second game but stayed clean. Lots of 7-spares. I think I had 3 or 4 in a row at one point. Ended up with a 195.

I found the pocket again in the third game but left the big 4 in the 8th frame and then ended up with a 6-7 split in the 10th. Still managed a 205 but my series was only 679. Those splits ruined my chance at 700.

Bastard! You beat my high game by 1!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 8:23 AM, Iwritecode said:
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)

link

rings.jpg

The girls successfully defended their title as the best HS bowling team in the nation. 2x Illinois State champs. 2x National Champs.

And if I'm reading the page right, one of them will get to throw out the first pitch at the Cardinals game tonight.

http://ushsbf.org/2018hsbnationalchampionship.html

• 1 month later...

Started a new league last night. First game I started out and couldn't find the pocket at all. Then I figured it out around the 5th or 6th frame. Ended the game with 6 in a row and a 205 game. Then I started the second game with 6 in a row. So I literally threw 12 strikes in a row. Just not all in the same game. :(

I think I had a 248 the second game, then everything went to hell in the third game and ended with a 160.

• 2 months later...

Our adult/youth league ended a couple of weeks ago. I think I ended up with a 199 or 200 average. I'd have to look it up again. We ended up middle of the pack, which is pretty good since we were bowling scratch. The averages of the bowlers in the top 5 teams were all 200+.

Now HS bowling has started up again. Had tryouts the last 2 days and first practice is tomorrow. First tournament is the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Our girls have a lot to live up to being the back to back state and national champs. Although I guess the publicity is good since they had 19 girls trying out for the team this year. That's the most I've seen since my daughter has been part of the program. Some of the other schools can barely get half that number to try out for their teams.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

One of my daughter's teammates just set a new Illinois state record for a 3-game series for HS girls with an 847 series (267, 290, 290).

Previous record was 826.

EDIT: That's the new national record.

Not that I'm a bowling fan but any state record let alone a national record is an outstanding achievement. It should get mote news. Those of us with kids in ancillary sports need to stick together. 🍻