The Democratic Bench

Heads22

Who is the next woman or man up for the party? The leadership of the party is either too old or Obama. I wonder if there's a possibility he gets back into politics after a while. Probably not.

I imagine the names you'll hear the most are Booker and possibly O'Malley.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
Who is the next woman or man up for the party? The leadership of the party is either too old or Obama. I wonder if there's a possibility he gets back into politics after a while. Probably not.

I imagine the names you'll hear the most are Booker and possibly O'Malley.

Ugh not O'Malley. He seems like a nice guy and all, but ALL he talked about during the primaries is what he did as governor of Maryland. He's a boring candidate.

Harris was just elected to the Senate...the Dems might want to be careful about running another candidate with limited experience. The same argument was used against Marco Rubio in Florida.

It's difficult to imagine Sanders, Michelle Obama or Joe Biden taking a leading role.

Booker has a lot of positive momentum behind him, but he might need to start off as a VP candidate.

Liz Warren, Kaine, Amy Klobuchar (MN), Kirsten Gillibrand (NY), Harris, Duckworth, Chris Murphy (CT) and Hickenlooper (CO) are all possibilities.

Whatever they do, they have to find someone who can win the economic argument in the Rust Belt...to fight back in WV, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. So if you're thinking of a candidate, imagine how they would play in those five states, in terms of making a "blue collar" argument. Indiana would be another state to watch.

I'm not sure Liz Warren has the ability to win those over, but certainly Sanders stood toe to toe with Clinton in those exact same states and beat her.

Essentially, we're looking at the same areas that Obama lost to Clinton way back in 2008.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)
Michelle.

Hell yeah!

Then we can have Chelsea Clinton run for office. Then Malia. Then Sasha. Hell, maybe they can run the country as a team!

Hell, Charlotte Clinton Mezvinsky is only 2, but I see potential in her.

Mark Cuban.

No, I'm not joking.

- Not a politician, not in the establishment, even fewer glaring political ties than Trump

- Already has name recognition

- Personable

- "Tells it like it is", can be fiery and rile up a crowd

- Came from a working class family to become rich, The American Dream

- Significantly smarter than Trump, can beat him in debates

- Liberal enough -particularly socially- not to turn off Democratic base

- Doesn't have any horrible baggage/scandals that I know of

- White male (let's be honest, it helps)

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Mark Cuban.

No, I'm not joking.

- Not a politician, not in the establishment, even fewer glaring political ties than Trump

- Personable

Cuban will have a lot of the same issues that Trump has. Temperament and not getting his way will be huge problems, along with being extremely opinionated in areas that will anger people.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 05:49 PM)
Cuban will have a lot of the same issues that Trump has. Temperament and not getting his way will be huge problems, along with being extremely opinionated in areas that will anger people.

Cuban is smarter and has more self control than Trump. I don't see him writing an angry tweet at 3am or lashing out in anywhere near the same way.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Mark Cuban.

No, I'm not joking.

- Personable

Might as well put in Jon Stewart too if we're gonna include Cuban.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
If Cuban ran as a democrat I think he could waltz in if the right circumstances came about. He believes in less government and free markets though so not sure the left would have him.

This isn't young Cuban. The guy is far more composed than the young Mavericks owner and now acts more like an intellectual than a sports fan.

Cuban is far more qualified than a witty talk show host. I am not sure if you're serious here.

I just don't believe Cuban will be a serious enough of a candidate for the democrats. I think he has a better shot to run as an extremely moderate republican. If the last 3 elections have shown anything, it's that the Democrats have a better shot when their agenda is more progressive socially and economically (or at least the perception of being more progressive in the case of Obama).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
I just don't believe Cuban will be a serious enough of a candidate for the democrats. I think he has a better shot to run as an extremely moderate republican. If the last 3 elections have shown anything, it's that the Democrats have a better shot when their agenda is more progressive socially and economically (or at least the perception of being more progressive in the case of Obama).

If you've been following Cuban vs Trump over the past year, Cuban would run as a democrat in a second against him. He's pretty central on everything.