2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
Cutler considering a return to playing with Miami if Tannehill is out and he gets starter money. Also wants guaranteed playing time.

Looks like were signing him, 1 yr $13 million.. hopefully Gase can work his magic with him

As a bit of a Cutler apologist, I think he's a better QB than he'll ever be credited, but he was still a massive disappointment. I'd much rather see him stick in the broadcast booth than try to capture some glory that likely will never come.

I don't believe the body language stuff with him because I think that became an angle, and every time he shrugged or frowned it became a story. However, he did not appear to be a great leader or someone who loved playing the game. He seems to be breaking down some after years of getting pounded as Bears QB. I think the smart move for him is to walk away. He's a smart guy. He has a pretty good sense of humor from what I heard on his show with Waddle and Slivy. Maybe he'll find success in the booth.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 06:47 AM)
Pleasant Trubisky evals recently

I figure anything other then really pleasant evals would be a bad sign (given the fluff of training camp). Reality is, it is going to take him time to learn how to read a pro defense, etc. The accuracy seems to be there (which is great) but that is a prerequisite to being a good QB, the stuff that differentiates the greats from the good's / hasbeens has so much to do with between the ears. Hopefully Mitch has that gift. I do like the fact that he's made a lot of "wow" throws. Glennon has supposedly been pretty solid too (which shouldn't be a surprise, he's going to be a solid starter).

There have been many-a highly touted QBs who the league has thought could teach them accuracy, so I'm glad it's showed in pads.

I bring it up because his first few days had a lot of nfl media "LOL he has trouble with snaps" contrasted to "Watson is the greatest QB ever", it has since flipped to now people discussing Trubisky on rise and may start sooner than people think, while the texans camp is about savage playing better and likely to be a starter.

The NFL Season doesn't begin until the Bears first out for the season injury. Well here we are.

Dan Wiederer‏

@danwiederer

Following

More

Bears G Eric Kush out for season w torn hamstring. With Kyle Long still out, this means Cody Whitehair shifting to G. Grasu to C. For now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)
The NFL Season doesn't begin until the Bears first out for the season injury. Well here we are.

Dan Wiederer‏

@danwiederer

Following

More

Bears G Eric Kush out for season w torn hamstring. With Kyle Long still out, this means Cody Whitehair shifting to G. Grasu to C. For now.

Apparently he tore the hammy off of the bone.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
There have been many-a highly touted QBs who the league has thought could teach them accuracy, so I'm glad it's showed in pads.

I bring it up because his first few days had a lot of nfl media "LOL he has trouble with snaps" contrasted to "Watson is the greatest QB ever", it has since flipped to now people discussing Trubisky on rise and may start sooner than people think, while the texans camp is about savage playing better and likely to be a starter.

That said, O'Brien has been quoted as saying Watson is the best rookie QB he has ever been around. The talk of Kizer has been high as well. It is still way too early. They all are crap compared to what they will need to be, but the fact Trubisky has shown laser accuracy is nice. The real work is in actually putting the ball in the right spot. The fumbling stuff was absurd, but it does go back to, it is going to take time for him (and most college QB's) to be ready to play. Taking a snap in the NFL and how you read defenses is just so much different and it isn't something you can really "scout". The ability to project that skill is so difficult. Evaluating whether a player has the physical skills...not so much.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)
That said, O'Brien has been quoted as saying Watson is the best rookie QB he has ever been around. The talk of Kizer has been high as well. It is still way too early. They all are crap compared to what they will need to be, but the fact Trubisky has shown laser accuracy is nice. The real work is in actually putting the ball in the right spot. The fumbling stuff was absurd, but it does go back to, it is going to take time for him (and most college QB's) to be ready to play. Taking a snap in the NFL and how you read defenses is just so much different and it isn't something you can really "scout". The ability to project that skill is so difficult. Evaluating whether a player has the physical skills...not so much.

That means Watson is better than Tom Savage, Kevin O'Connell, Zac Robinson, and Ryan Mallet were.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
OMG at the media. Ripping Jay already, based upon his press conference.

Bears football will be bad enough where I hope Chicago media is not going to cover Cutler in Miami all year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
Bears football will be bad enough where I hope Chicago media is not going to cover Cutler in Miami all year.

They have spent a lot of time the last day covering him. It shouldn't matter. Whether Jay kicks butt or stinks, the reality is his time had come in Chicago. There was zero reason to keep him around this year.