Off-season 40 man roster

harfman77

Looking ahead to FA, the Sox are going to have some interesting choices to make regarding the 40 man roster. There are currently 42 protected on the 40 man roster with Nate Jones and Paulino on the 60 day DL, both of whom will need to be re-instated after the conclusion of the season.

Free Agents

Dunn

Lindstrom

Konerko

Team Option

Paulino $4M or $250K buyout

Non-tender candidates

De Aza

Beckham

Belisario

DFA possibilities

Maikel Cleto

Jared Mitchell

Frank De Los Santos

Raul Fernandez

Players that need to be protected on the 40 man roster

Andy Wilkins

Kevan Smith

Rangel Ravelo

Tyler Saladino

Scott Snodgress

Chris Bassitt

Francellis Montas

Players likely to be added to 40 man roster

Carlos Rodon

So if everyone identified is removed and everyone added, the Sox will have room to sign one FA this off-season, and thats without leaving room for Micah Johnson to be added.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I think the "holes" are:

CA

1B Jose Abreu

2B Marcus Semien or Micah Johnson

SS Alexei Ramirez

3B Conor Gillaspie

LF

CF Adam Eaton

RF Avisail Garcia

DH

SP Chris Sale

SP Jose Quintana

SP

SP

SP John Danks

RP Nate Jones

RP Jake Petricka

RP Zach Putnam

RP

RP

This offseason, we need a catcher, a corner outfielder (or two), and a bunch of pitchers. AAA will fill the middle infield. I'd like to see a rotating DH built from another stating-caliber OF with platoon potential.

Edited by Eminor3rd

Looking ahead to FA, the Sox are going to have some interesting choices to make regarding the 40 man roster. There are currently 42 protected on the 40 man roster with Nate Jones and Paulino on the 60 day DL, both of whom will need to be re-instated after the conclusion of the season.

Free Agents

Dunn

Lindstrom

Konerko

Team Option

Non-tender candidates

De Aza

Beckham

Belisario

DFA possibilities

Maikel Cleto

Jared Mitchell

Frank De Los Santos

Raul Fernandez

Andy Wilkins

Kevan Smith

Rangel Ravelo

Tyler Saladino

Scott Snodgress

Chris Bassitt

Francellis Montas

Players likely to be added to 40 man roster

Carlos Rodon

So if everyone identified is removed and everyone added, the Sox will have room to sign one FA this off-season, and thats without leaving room for Micah Johnson to be added.

I realize that there are seven players who are at risk for the Rule 5 draft if not placed on the 40, but how many of the seven, if any, are really at risk of getting plucked? I know the Sox managed to stash a catcher on the roster for a year, but that's a lot harder to do at other positions.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
I realize that there are seven players who are at risk for the Rule 5 draft if not placed on the 40, but how many of the seven, if any, are really at risk of getting plucked? I know the Sox managed to stash a catcher on the roster for a year, but that's a lot harder to do at other positions.

I would say the six of the seven have a decent shot at being selected. Smith is probably the longest shot as a 27 year old C who still hasn't made it to AAA. But the rest of the bats could serve as a bench bat next season, either for the White Sox or someone else. I think all of the pitchers would be appealing as bullpen options to try and hide them.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
Bassit is really the one that has to be protected. His stuff is MLB caliber and it's a lot easier to stash a pitcher.

Wilkins might get plucked but I doubt it.

No one is going to pick up Smith because he can barely catch. He's still a work in progress despite his age/level.

I think an NL team would take Wilkins, perhaps the Marlins. They can stash him on the bench as a pinch hitter or give the guy a chance to win a starting job at 1B. They've had no problem doing that in the past with guys like De Aza and Uggla, so I don't see how that'd be any different.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Paulino is just going to get DFA right? Are they really going to keep him around? If he has any sort of shot to get his career jump started it would be with Cooper as a non roster invite next spring IMO.

He only signed a 1 year deal with a club option for year 2. The buy out is $250k. He's not coming back.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
Why does everyone thing that Catcher is such a hole that needs to be filled? Tyler Flowers has been and will be just fine. He's a positive WAR player at a really tough position.

I don't think it's a hole that needs to be filled, personally, but I think it's an area where they'll look around to see if an upgrade is available.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
I don't think it's a hole that needs to be filled, personally, but I think it's an area where they'll look around to see if an upgrade is available.

I'd say a lot of people have remained frustrated with Tyler this year and think that aside from a few lucky drops early in the season it has mostly remained a hole.

After this season I could be ok there with Tyler for another year, but Tyler isn't going to be more than a bottom of the order hitter ever, and we can only have so many of those in the lineup.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)

I think it's one of the less likely upgrades they'll make when you consider Tyler's palatable season, available options, and all the other needs. Fully expecting Flowers to be the starting catcher again.

• 1 month later...

Updating this thread as the season has wrapped up, the Sox have 42 on the 40 man roster as Jones and Paulino will need to be reinstated after the post-season

Free Agents

Lindstrom

Konerko

Team Option

Non-tender candidate

Belisario

DFA possibilities

Maikel Cleto

Jared Mitchell

Frank De Los Santos

Michael Taylor

Kevan Smith

Rangel Ravelo

Tyler Saladino

Francellis Montas

2015 Roster

C Flowers

1B Abreu

2B Sanchez

SS Ramirez

3B Gillaspie

LF Viciedo

CF Eaton

RF Garcia

DH Davidson/Wilkins*

UTL Semien

BE Phegley

BE Sierra

BE Wilkins/Davidson*

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Noesi

SP Danks

SP Carroll*

RP Petricka

RP Webb

RP Putnam

RP Guerra

RP Bassitt

RP Surkamp

RP Veal*

*Positions to upgrade in FA or via trade

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
Rienzo

Taylor Thompson

Raul Fernandez are also DFA candidates.

Taylor Thompson makes sense to go, especially because you know this team is going to bring in other relievers.

No idea what the team thinks of Raul Fernandez. I will say his numbers got a whole lot better with the White Sox, though his walk totals were ridiculous. He also can throw 99, so that might buy him some time.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
Updating this thread as the season has wrapped up, the Sox have 42 on the 40 man roster as Jones and Paulino will need to be reinstated after the post-season

Free Agents

Lindstrom

Konerko

Team Option

Non-tender candidate

Belisario

DFA possibilities

Maikel Cleto

Jared Mitchell

Frank De Los Santos

Michael Taylor

Kevan Smith

Rangel Ravelo

Tyler Saladino

Francellis Montas

2015 Roster

C Flowers

1B Abreu

2B Sanchez

SS Ramirez

3B Gillaspie

LF Viciedo

CF Eaton

RF Garcia

DH Davidson/Wilkins*

UTL Semien

BE Phegley

BE Sierra

BE Wilkins/Davidson*

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Noesi

SP Danks

SP Carroll*

RP Petricka

RP Webb

RP Putnam

RP Guerra

RP Bassitt

RP Surkamp

RP Veal*

*Positions to upgrade in FA or via trade

Ravelo and Montas will, IMO, definitely be protected. I think Smith probably will too - he's basically a year more advanced than Nieto was when he was selected, and catching talent is super-thin across baseball, so he's a selection risk. Saladino won't even be healthy for the beginning of the season so he won't be protected and won't need to be.

FDSL and Mitchell could all be passed through and I wouldn't be concerned about anyone taking them in the MLB phase of Rule V, so those two are likely to be assigned off the 40. Taylor showed he's likely competent as a 4th OF, but I doubt the Sox keep both him and JorDanks - so I'd say one of them will have a 40 man slot and the other won't. Cleto has run his course with the Sox, I would guess he gets DFA's.

So that's 2-3 guys who they will protect, and at least 3 maybe 4 guys who will come off. Leaves likely 1 open slot for any potential pickups.

I'm also not sure they keep Guerra around. And I'm 90% certain they won't have Veal on the OD roster.

Open question - does Davidson need protection? I'm not sure if he does or not, but if he does, they will definitely protect him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
Rienzo

Taylor Thompson

Raul Fernandez are also DFA candidates.

Rienzo I think they keep around and make him a reliever.

Thompson they can probably leave exposed, he's got some Rule V claim risk but not a lot and he's not a huge loss. So he may get DFA's.

Raul Fernandez I get the impression they like, so I'd be he stays on.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
Rienzo I think they keep around and make him a reliever.

Thompson they can probably leave exposed, he's got some Rule V claim risk but not a lot and he's not a huge loss. So he may get DFA's.

Raul Fernandez I get the impression they like, so I'd be he stays on.

Don Cooper clearly doesn't think much of Rienzo on the mound. I do doubt they just let him go, but it wouldn't be too surprising. I think it's more likely he is a trade throw in.