Let's Grade the Players, Coaches, Hahn for 2014

greg775

Here are my grades for this season. I'll give the team a C-minus though I wouldn't argue with D.

Abreu: A-plus. He had 36 HRS, 107 RBI. Everybody likey.

Beckham: D. He stunk and his tenure was blah. (Sanchez in 27 games hit .247; Semien hit .233 in 63 games; both get Incompletes). The eye test tells me Semien will be a good player.

Alexei: A. He hit .273 with 74 RBI.

Gillaspie: B. I wouldn't argue B-plus. He hit .282 with 57 RBI in 130 games.

Viciedo: D. He hit 21 homers and only drove in 58, barely hitting .230. He's an underachiever to date.

Eaton: A. We all know he was great.

A. Garcia: B to B-minus. Hit .250 in 45 games. Showed a lot of guts to come back so quickly.

Flowers: C. Hit .240 with 15 homers. 50 RBIs.

Paulie: I'd like to give him an incomplete as a favor to my idol. If I have to give a grade I'd give him a D.

Dunn: 20 home runs in 360 at bats. That's not so horrendous. I'll give him a C this year. For his Sox career a big fat D.

Moises Sierra, Danks and guys like that didn't play a lot. Not a big fan of that duo.

Quintana: B. 3.32 ERA is fine.

Sale: A-plus. He's good.

Danks: C. He was 11-11? Not bad for an 89-loss team. I realize we don't care about wins and losses of pitchers anymore.

Noesi: C. 8-11 record.

Carroll: C-. Was 5-10 I love everything about him except his stuff.

I'll give all the relievers a D except Petricka and Putnam who get Cs. And Bella of course gets an F. I can't bring myself to mention each guy.

Robin: He gets a C. The team was a couple games over .500 at a fairly late date then sucked. I wouldn't argue C-.

Hahn: C. He improved the team some but the team is still lousy and not a contender.

Jerry Reinsdorf: D. No sense of urgency from the big guy.

That's it for now. I think we have some good players. At this time, I'm really down on our bullpen and down on Viciedo.

Soxtalk posters: C. I wouldn't argue B-. Still a reluctance to start new threads with people thinking a new thread is evil for some reason. People love the catchall threads more than new threads. Not a lot of activity on the baseball board. Lot of lurkers need to start posting more. The new posters were awesome this season. Of my own posting I'd give myself a B-. I put passion into my posts even if many of you despise me. Cheers to the White Sox.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)
Here are my grades for this season. I'll give the team a C-minus though I wouldn't argue with D.

Beckham: D. He stunk and his tenure was blah. (Sanchez in 27 games hit .247; Semien hit .233 in 63 games; both get Incompletes). The eye test tells me Semien will be a good player.

Viciedo: D. He hit 21 homers and only drove in 58, barely hitting .230. He's an underachiever to date.

A. Garcia: B to B-minus. Hit .250 in 45 games. Showed a lot of guts to come back so quickly.

Paulie: I'd like to give him an incomplete as a favor to my idol. If I have to give a grade I'd give him a D.

Dunn: 20 home runs in 360 at bats. That's not so horrendous. I'll give him a C this year. For his Sox career a big fat D.

Moises Sierra, Danks and guys like that didn't play a lot. Not a big fan of that duo.

Danks: C. He was 11-11? Not bad for an 89-loss team. I realize we don't care about wins and losses of pitchers anymore.

I'll give all the relievers a D except Petricka and Putnam who get Cs. And Bella of course gets an F. I can't bring myself to mention each guy.

Robin: He gets a C. The team was a couple games over .500 at a fairly late date then sucked. I wouldn't argue C-.

Hahn: C. He improved the team some but the team is still lousy and not a contender.

That's it for now. I think we have some good players. At this time, I'm really down on our bullpen and down on Viciedo.

Soxtalk posters: C. I wouldn't argue B-. Still a reluctance to start new threads with people thinking a new thread is evil for some reason. People love the catchall threads more than new threads. Not a lot of activity on the baseball board. Lot of lurkers need to start posting more. The new posters were awesome this season. Of my own posting I'd give myself a B-. I put passion into my posts even if many of you despise me. Cheers to the White Sox.

...I actually agree with these for the most part. I'd give Q a B+ or A-, Noesi a B for what was expected of him, Putnam an A, Petrick a B, no grade for Reinsdorf.

Hey Greg, I like the idea of this but the only problem I have is a comparison

of judging / evaluation. I mean what are the parameters of the judging. I can see

a lot of personal judgment grades. if I didn't explain myself, sorry. but this thread

is a good idea.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 06:12 AM)
Hey Greg, I like the idea of this but the only problem I have is a comparison

of judging / evaluation. I mean what are the parameters of the judging. I can see

a lot of personal judgment grades. if I didn't explain myself, sorry. but this thread

is a good idea.

All of the grades are personal judgements, the only parameter is what you feel about the player.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 12:55 AM)

I lurk quite a bit but don't post that much. The reason is it seems too many threads turn into sabermetrics and I could care less about FIP, XFIP, WAR, UZR, etc. I pay attention to the basic BA,OBP, and OBPS for hitters and wins, K'S, ERA for pitchers. I'm not saying using those other advanced metrics are wrong but they aren't the be all, end all, some people make them out to be. I don't need metrics to tell me Adam Dunn was not any good. But that's just me. I don't disparage anyone for using them. I just tend to stray from those conversations. And, since most threads turns into that, I don't post very often.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
The problems in general are, that RBI and pitching wins are not accurate assessments for players anymore.

They have no control of either of those stats.

You don't want to say no control, because they do have some control over those statistics. Instead, they just aren't predictors/indicators of future success because they rely so heavily on what their teammates around them do as opposed to the actual skillset of the player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
You don't want to say no control, because they do have some control over those statistics. Instead, they just aren't predictors/indicators of future success because they rely so heavily on what their teammates around them do as opposed to the actual skillset of the player.

Yes, you are correct. Sale only has complete control over wins if he can pitch 33 complete games a season, and Ramirez gets a RBI if there are players on base when he happens to get a hit.

That was my meaning to no control.

Hahn a C? No, I'd give him a B/B+. In one offseason, he brought in the teams 2 best pitchers and had another excellent draft class. If anything, Hahn has really turned this franchise around on a dime. I thought this teams outlook was going to be abysmal for awhile when he took over....today, I can confidently say I believe they are a playoff contender next season. 2 or 3 smart offseason moves and they are right in it.

Grading the 13 position players with the most PA and the 12 pitchers with the most IP:

Jose Abreu A+

Adam Eaton B

Alexei Ramirez B

Conor Gillaspie B-

Adam Dunn C+

Avisail Garcia C

Marcus Semien C

Tyler Flowers C-

Gordon Beckham D

Alejandro DeAza D

Dayan Viciedo D

Leury Garcia D-

Paul Konerko D-

Jose Quintana A

Chris Sale A

Zach Putnam A-

Jake Petricka B+

Javy Guerra B

Hector Noesi B-

Daniel Webb B-

Scott Carroll C-

John Danks C-

Matt Lindstrom D

Andre Rienzo F

Ronald Belisario F---

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)

I don't even...

Quintana was easily the second best pitcher on our team and only had 0.1 fWAR less than Sale because he pitched the whole year and threw 200 innings.

If Quintana didn't have the s*** luck he's had and won 15 games like he should have, you would have given him an A and I don't doubt that for a second.

Alexei was great in the first two months of the year, but he was actually a pretty poor hitter in almost every other month. He was solid this year, but there's no way that he was a better player for us than Quintana this season.

Edited by chw42

My final grades

The Retired, has a Statue, and gets an A for his 16 years of service

Paul Konerko

The A's

Chris Sale

Jose Quintana

Hector Noesi

Jose Abreu

Zach Putnam

The B's

Alexei Ramirez

Conor Gillaspie

Adam Eaton

Adrien Nieto

Jake Petricka

Javy Guerra

The C's

Tyler Flowers

Scott Carroll

Dan Webb

The D's

Gordon Beckham

Alejandro De Aza

Dayan Viciedo

Adam Dunn

John Danks

The F's

Leury Garcia

The Incomplete's (with in progress grade in parenthesis)

Marcus Semien ©

Avi Garcia (B)

Moises Sierra (B)

Jordan Danks ©

Carlos Sanchez (B)

Andy Wilkins (F)

Josh Phegley ©

Michael Taylor ©

Erik Johnson (F)

Felipe Paulino (F)

Eric Surkamp (A)

Andre Rienzo (D)

Matt Lindstrom (F)

Maikel Cleto (D)

Scott Downs (F)

Chris Bassitt (B)

Donnie Veal (F)

Taylor Thompson (F)

Frank Fransisco (F)

Charlie Leesman (F)

Scott Snodgress (F)

Nate Jones (NA)

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
Hahn a C? No, I'd give him a B/B+. In one offseason, he brought in the teams 2 best pitchers and had another excellent draft class. If anything, Hahn has really turned this franchise around on a dime. I thought this teams outlook was going to be abysmal for awhile when he took over....today, I can confidently say I believe they are a playoff contender next season. 2 or 3 smart offseason moves and they are right in it.

This. Maybe even an A. I still can't believe the FO team turned it around this fast. I think KW and RH are on to something big since we have the funds, in theory, to supplement our superstars better than say a Pittsburgh. I don't see them wasting Abreu n Sale next year.

Let's run the grading scale, focusing on "core" guys who needed to be evaluated going into the year.

A: Jose Abreu. Not much more to say about him that wasn't already said. His slumps lasted a week and his hot streaks lasted a month or two. He was two completely different players before and after the All Star break, but both of those players were awesome.

B: Adam Eaton. He showed us just about everything we could have hoped for. You'll take a .362 OBP from your leadoff hitter every year. Would like him to stay on the field more reliably, and maybe tighten up the stolen base % a little.

C: Conor Gillaspie. Proved, at least, that he can hurt righties and be a good platoon player, which is infinitely more than Jeff Soptic proved this year. Unfortunately he did a nosedive to close out the season. Gets an A+ for dugout comedy.

D: Avisail Garcia: On the plus ledger, he showed some uncharacteristic plate discipline towards the end of the year that will hopefully linger, and flashed the power that we absolutely need from him. On the minus ledger, everything else. He lost 70% of the season to a clumsy shoulder injury that you could see coming when it didn't happen the first time he dove awkwardly. Both metrics and the eye test confirm that he is not pulling his weight in the outfield, and if we have the second coming of Viciedo here, he's going to need to hit better than he did this year to earn his keep. Still a complete question mark.

F: Erik Johnson: What happened to him this season was a shame. It became clear quickly in AAA that he had lost something; who knows why. The FO was counting on him to show progress. Instead, they'd have to be crazy to plan around him in the future.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
My final grades

The Retired, has a Statue, and gets an A for his 16 years of service

Paul Konerko

The A's

Chris Sale

Jose Quintana

Hector Noesi

Jose Abreu

Zach Putnam

The B's

Alexei Ramirez

Conor Gillaspie

Adam Eaton

Adrien Nieto

Jake Petricka

Javy Guerra

The C's

Tyler Flowers

Scott Carroll

Dan Webb

The D's

Gordon Beckham

Alejandro De Aza

Dayan Viciedo

Adam Dunn

John Danks

The F's

Leury Garcia

The Incomplete's (with in progress grade in parenthesis)

Marcus Semien ©

Avi Garcia (B)

Moises Sierra (B)

Jordan Danks ©

Carlos Sanchez (B)

Andy Wilkins (F)

Josh Phegley ©

Michael Taylor ©

Erik Johnson (F)

Felipe Paulino (F)

Eric Surkamp (A)

Andre Rienzo (D)

Matt Lindstrom (F)

Maikel Cleto (D)

Scott Downs (F)

Chris Bassitt (B)

Donnie Veal (F)

Taylor Thompson (F)

Frank Fransisco (F)

Charlie Leesman (F)

Scott Snodgress (F)

Nate Jones (NA)

Im surprise you graded Sanchez higher than Semien. I dont think either particularly separated themselves from the other, but I think Semien had a slightly better season. While Sanchez's defense definitely looked legit, he provided almost no value with his bat.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
Im surprise you graded Sanchez higher than Semien. I dont think either particularly separated themselves from the other, but I think Semien had a slightly better season. While Sanchez's defense definitely looked legit, he provided almost no value with his bat.

I had much higher expectations for Semien. He had a pretty rough time with the bat, and never really got going on the defensive end. Sanchez provided plus defense to go along with the no bat.