Cue meltdown in 3...2...

southsider2k5

More at link

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/968...pen-next-season

CHICAGO -- The White Sox view Carlos Rodon as competition for the 2015 rotation coming out of Spring Training. There's also a chance Rodon could break camp as part of the bullpen next April.

"It's conceivable he could be a member of the bullpen in 2015 at some point," said White Sox general manager Rick Hahn, who spoke of the team's top pick in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft and third selection overall as part of Sunday's season-ending interview. "I do believe, much like when we had Chris Sale in a similar situation, that his long-term future is at the front end of a rotation, but we are not necessarily committed that it has to be on Day 1 as part of a rotation in order to get to that spot."

I don't agree with this at all. It worked out for Sale, but ask the Rangers how it worked out for Feliz.

Everyone's different, but if Rodon tears it up in Spring Training and we don't have a better option in the rotation, then he should absolutely be in the starting rotation on opening day.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
I think he only comes out the bullpen if they're in a spot to actually compete for a playoff spot come July/August, I can't see him breaking camp with the team, Sox will still be mindful with his clock.

Perhaps I took the quote the wrong way, but the way I understood was that they'd start Rodon in the bullpen first if he does make the ML team out of spring training, which seems like a waste of his service time.

If they're going to do what you're saying, then I think that's fine.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
I don't agree with this at all. It worked out for Sale, but ask the Rangers how it worked out for Feliz.

Everyone's different, but if Rodon tears it up in Spring Training and we don't have a better option in the rotation, then he should absolutely be in the starting rotation on opening day.

I do not like the idea of that at all. If he breaks camp with the White Sox and stays up the entire time, then they have control of him for 6 years. If they wait a month, then they have control of him for 6 years and 5 months. With Boras as his agent for the foreseeable future, you have to maximize service time above anything else.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
I'm not worried about it because I don't think it's going to happen but I'm definitely not a fan of bullpenning Rodon for this season. We need starting pitchers, if he's going to be on the Major League team, he should be starting.

I'm just mad he even suggested the possibility. Maybe he's just trying to appease Hawk.

Carlos Rodon will not be pitching out of the bullpen. 1 year ago, scouts were talking about him as 1 of the 10 best pitchers on the planet after his Soph season at NC State. He won't start the year with the White Sox but I'd be stunned if they waste any of his big league time pitching out of the bullpen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
In the back of my mind, I wonder if this is supposed to be a message to the rest of MLB that we don't need to trade a starting pitcher this winter, or that we don't need to overpay for a reliever... or both.

That's all fine and dandy, but the rest of baseball does have access to the White Sox roster and knows they need starters and relievers.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
Carlos Rodon will not be pitching out of the bullpen. 1 year ago, scouts were talking about him as 1 of the 10 best pitchers on the planet after his Soph season at NC State. He won't start the year with the White Sox but I'd be stunned if they waste any of his big league time pitching out of the bullpen.

Agreed. I watched an interview with Hahn and by the way he talked, Rodon would either be starting for Charlotte or starting for the Sox.

I go ahead and start Rodon at Charlotte for two reasons...

1- it allows Carlos some time to work on his control before making his MLB debut.

2- it buys time for Danks to hopefully pitch well enough to be traded in June 2015 and then promote Rodon to take his place.

I think it may be something to keep Rodon on track this winter. Young guys who think they are basically owed a spot, usually wind up showing they probably shouldn't have assumed as much.

I am happy the Sox drafted him. It is who I wanted them to draft all along, but it doesn't hurt to send a message basically saying you can have it, but you have to earn it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
Hahn could have said that it's conceivable that Sale could pitch out of the bullpen too, but it doesn't mean it's going to happen. There are a lot of things that are conceivable that are not ultimately realistic.

Except that in his first full year...oh never mind.