Guerra and Quintana look to hit "super 2"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 07:38 PM)
https://twitter.com/timdierkes/status/516714980499292161

timdierkes

‏@timdierkes

This year's Super Two cutoff is looking like 2.133. Not official yet.

2.133 means Marwin Gonzalez and Javy Guerra are last ones in, and Jose Quintana's salaries escalate.

Quintana signed a 5 year contract. Why would his salary go up?

QUOTE (daggins @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 10:15 PM)
It was a stipulation of the contract. Compensation goes up to 26.5 mil if he gets super two status. His contract is so ludicrously under market that I am not even close to upset about this.

After my post, I read the Super 2 explanation on Baseball Reference. Thanks.

QUOTE (daggins @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
It was a stipulation of the contract. Compensation goes up to 26.5 mil if he gets super two status. His contract is so ludicrously under market that I am not even close to upset about this.

Q's contract may be the best one Hahn ever negotiated, right up there with Sale's.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 06:30 AM)
Can someone break down Qs contract for me?

Signed through 2018 with 2019 and 2020 team options.

2015 - $3.4 million

2016 - $5.4 million

2017 - $7.0 million

2018 - $8.85 million

2019 - $10.5 million (team option or $1 million buy out)

2020 - $11.5 million (team option or $1 million buy out)

Had he not qualified for Super 2 status, his 2015-2018 salaries would be as follows - $1 million, $3.8 million, $6 million, $8.35 million

They knew when he signed he would probably end up being Super 2. Still a great contract and he's well worth the extra $5.5 million the Super 2 status bumped his contract up.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
Signed through 2018 with 2019 and 2020 team options.

2015 - $3.4 million

2016 - $5.4 million

2017 - $7.0 million

2018 - $8.85 million

2019 - $10.5 million (team option or $1 million buy out)

2020 - $11.5 million (team option or $1 million buy out)

Had he not qualified for Super 2 status, his 2015-2018 salaries would be as follows - $1 million, $3.8 million, $6 million, $8.35 million

They knew when he signed he would probably end up being Super 2. Still a great contract and he's well worth the extra $5.5 million the Super 2 status bumped his contract up.

Yeah, good for him. This is still an absurdly cheap contract. Don't care about the increase at all. He more than deserves it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
And if that bump is what it took to get the deal done (why else would it be there, right?) all of the better.

That contract will end up changing the game. I think you will see teams like Pittsburgh, Houston, and Tampa try and sign guys to long-term deals prior to or shortly after call up and those players' agents will say "let's increase his salary if he qualifies as a Super 2."

George Springer reportedly turned down 7/$23 from the Astros. It's still a joke of an offer by them, but if they had offered him a boost in compensation if he reached Super 2 status - say 7/$33 - do you think he turns that down?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
That contract will end up changing the game. I think you will see teams like Pittsburgh, Houston, and Tampa try and sign guys to long-term deals prior to or shortly after call up and those players' agents will say "let's increase his salary if he qualifies as a Super 2."

George Springer reportedly turned down 7/$23 from the Astros. It's still a joke of an offer by them, but if they had offered him a boost in compensation if he reached Super 2 status - say 7/$33 - do you think he turns that down?

The A's did the same thing with the Doolittle contract, which came about a month after Quintana's. I could swear I remember some player having that before Q, but the name escapes me now.

I forgot to put in my post that if Quintana wins a Cy Young award from 2014-2019 his 2020 option increases to $14 million. If he comes in second or third any of those years it increases to $13 million.'

Sale has the same thing in his contract. A Cy Young award from 2013-2018 increases his 2019 option to $16 million and a second or third increases it to $15 million.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Will this get Guerra non tendered?

I wouldn't think so. First year arbitration eligible players only average around $1.5 million or so. He doesn't have a real consistent track record so he will probably end up signing for less or an arbitrator will rule in the Sox favor.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Will this get Guerra non tendered?

I'd be surprised. He was quite effective out of the bullpen this year and he'll cost less than that of a guy like Belisario or a Downs. If he comes back next year and is ineffective, they can just get rid of him by whatever means is best.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
I'd be surprised. He was quite effective out of the bullpen this year and he'll cost less than that of a guy like Belisario or a Downs. If he comes back next year and is ineffective, they can just get rid of him by whatever means is best.

Catapult.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)

Wait a minute. You have been an Addison Reed is terrible guy all along. Check out Guerra's xFIP and FIP.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
Reed was effective too, through the lense of a decent setup guy.

The irony is that Guerra was released by his former team, and we got him off of waivers, while Reed garnered a Top 100 prospect. If there is to be a false equivalency drawn between them, it blows up at that point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
Wait a minute. You have been an Addison Reed is terrible guy all along. Check out Guerra's xFIP and FIP.

This is not relevant to the discussion on hand, has been beaten to death, and bringing it up is unnecssary. There was no need for this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
No. It is. He clearly is not effective using the same numbers you use to tell us others suck. And he is hitting arbitration.

Again it is a false equivalency. We got Guerra on a waiver claim. We didn't sign him as a free agent, and we didn't send a Top 100 prospect to get him. Guerra also isn't closing, and because of that is going to be a lower salary than Reed.

Picking unrelated details from unrelated conversations and trying to equate them to something else that was never said in the way it is being presented isn't relevant. The situations are very different for all of the reasons which you will henceforth ignore.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
No. It is. He clearly is not effective using the same numbers you use to tell us others suck. And he is hitting arbitration.

I don't want Javy Guerra closing. I'd have no problem with Addison Reed, if he cost approximately $1.5 million and the Sox already had him under team control, in a middle relief or perhaps even set up role. I have never said Addison Reed is a bad pitcher, just that he is a bad or mediocre closer.

Now, since we've cleared the air, drop the Addison Reed discussion as it is not relevant and IS detrimental to the discussion at hand. If you would like to continue the tire fire that is the discussion of Addison Reed on this site, please continue it here.