Asian Players

LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 07:09 PM)
I have a question, with what happen last yr with Tanaka and whether he is

100 %. Should the sox invest in Kenta Maeda esp with knowledge that has

thrown a lot of pitches. what was it that some site said he threw?

I wouldn't bother with him. Let some other team overpay to put him on the FL for most of the length of the contract.

He will break down with that much of a workload. The question is when.

Bob

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
EVERY ONE GO ON THEIR COMPUTER & LOOK UP SHOHEI OHTANI

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shohei_Ohtani

http://youtu.be/9utx2BPIYlU

He wants to come over to the states soon and the Sox need to jump all over him.

This was from two years ago...

Japanese pitcher Shohei Otani announced that he will play for Japan’s Nippon Ham Fighters rather than sign with a MLB team this winter, according to Yasuko Yanagita of Hochi Shimbun (via Twitter). The 18-year-old hurler seemed likely to come stateside for quite some time but recently started leaning towards remaining in Japan.

The Dodgers, Rangers, and Yankees were among the teams known to be in on Otani. The Dodgers reportedly would have been “shocked” if the right-hander signed with an MLB team other than them, but they were skeptical that he would come stateside at all. The Nippon Ham Fighters have come out as the victor after selecting Otani with the first overall pick in the NPB draft.

The 6’4″ right-hander was often compared to Yu Darvish by MLB scouts. Otani boasts a strong fastball that has been clocked in the 99-100 mph range and could have been the first top NPB draft pick to make the direct jump from high school in Japan to the U.S.

Ohtani made his debut in the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters' season-opening match on March 29, 2013, playing as right outfielder. He was voted as an outfielder in the 2013 All-Star Game.

During the 2014 Mazda All-Star Game, he pitched a career-high 162 kph (101 mph) at the bottom of the 1st inning, again setting a new record for the fastest official pitch thrown by a Japanese pitcher, beating the record set by the Yakult Swallows’ Yoshinori Sato in 2010 (161 kph/100 mph).[8] The jersey he wore during the game sold for 1,752,000 yen, making it the top-seller at the All-Star 2014 Charity Auction, and the proceeds were donated to three Tohoku earthquake children's relief funds.[9]

Throughout the entire season, Fighters manager Hideki Kurayama made Ohtani do double-duty as pitcher and outfielder to utilize his strong throwing arm, as well as his unusually impressive batting skills. As a hitter, he batted at .283 average (as of September 7), with 26 extra-base hits (including 10 home runs), 31 RBIs and a .869 on-base plus slugging percentage in 191 at-bats. As a pitcher, he is 10-4 with a 2.46 ERA in 21 starts and has struck out 162 in 139 innings. In the September 7 match against the Orix Buffaloes, he homered to straightaway center at Kyocera Dome to become the first Japanese player to reach double digits in both home runs and wins.[10][11] He tossed a 1-0 shutout against Orix on September 13, and became the first pitcher out of high school in franchise history to record a 1-0 shutout victory within his first two years in the NPB since Toshiaki Moriyasu in 1967 (September 23). He also became the first pitcher out of high school to notch two shutout victories within his first two years in the NPB since Yu Darvish.[12]

With all that said, no way he doesn't go to the Dodgers, Yankees, Angels, etc. If I was the Mariners (Japanese ownership), he would be the ONE guy I would be targeting to help put them over the top, and you could bring Ichiro back for one more season to mentor him, along with Iwakuma.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 02:29 AM)
I wouldn't bother with him. Let some other team overpay to put him on the FL for most of the length of the contract.

He will break down with that much of a workload. The question is when.

Bob

a discussion can be made that all pitchers runs the risk of an arm injury. however I am with

you and others who says no. my reason is they are overused in japan.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:18 PM)
I've read in Baseball America that he wants to come stateside

Won't happen without his Nippon approving first and with the new posting system not being nearly as lucrative for the posting team as it used to be so its highly doubtful Nippon would agree. Nippon would only get 20M compared to the 51M they got for Darvish thanks to the new posting system.

Don't get me wrong, I would be all for it but Nippon would probably lose more money than they would gain from posting the kid.

Holy cow! I just looked Ohtani up and he just turned 20 on July 5th! The kid is just getting ready to finish his 2nd season. He's not going anywhere for probably another 5 years. Nippon did not post Darvish and Tanaka til they had played for 7 seasons first.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:31 AM)
This thread got me thinking. What's the hardest throwing Asian pitcher we've seen in the MLB? Is it Tanaka? I think he sits around 93-94? Seems like there has never been a flamethrower, at least that I can remember. They seem to teach finesse.

Darvish, easily.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
IF Otani comes to the US, it's a no brainer to go balls deep into trying to get him on the south side. I'm not sure it has been confirmed that he'd come over just yet though.

Dude sounds legit.

Jesus. Wet dream.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 02:15 AM)
EVERY ONE GO ON THEIR COMPUTER & LOOK UP SHOHEI OHTANI

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shohei_Ohtani

http://youtu.be/9utx2BPIYlU

He wants to come over to the states soon and the Sox need to jump all over him.

UPDATE

a nice article on Shohei Ohtani

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...1-mph-fastball/

he still wants to get posted so he can come to USA.