Delmonico promoted to big league club

shipps

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has all the looks of a big league hitter. I don't know if he'll hit enough to make up for his defense or not, but the guy can hit. Hopefully his defense has improved with time in the outfield (and his bat is as good as I think it can be (as I really like his offensive upside...more so than most). The boy is strong.

Just like we have two years (18-19) to see if Anderson is more 2016 or 2017, we have the same timeframe to see where Delmonico fits in. That play last night was atrocious- like one of the worst I've ever seen from an MLBer. So, does his defense improve? If not, but his bat plays out, I don't know who would prevent him from being a DH in our contention window.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
Just like we have two years (18-19) to see if Anderson is more 2016 or 2017, we have the same timeframe to see where Delmonico fits in. That play last night was atrocious- like one of the worst I've ever seen from an MLBer. So, does his defense improve? If not, but his bat plays out, I don't know who would prevent him from being a DH in our contention window.

Exactly, we have a window to give guys like Delmonico at bats. If he gets better defensively and hits up to his talents, we might have something. If he doesn't, he isn't getting in the way of what is currently around / near the major league level, and we know and can try someone else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
A guy like Delmonico is going to be really hurt by a lack of pitching for the short term. With needing the extra relievers in the pen, it shortens up the bench, which gives us less defensive replacement options for a guy like this.

With all due respect, I think you are way overthinking this. Let the kid play and let's see what he can do. The game results mean very little for the time being.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
With all due respect, I think you are way overthinking this. Let the kid play and let's see what he can do. The game results mean very little for the time being.

The same can be said for guys like Engel, Leury, and May... and those guys won't hurt young pitching with their defense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
The same can be said for guys like Engel, Leury, and May... and those guys won't hurt young pitching with their defense.

My guess is May is more or less out of the picture. He may get a September call up, but I don't expect to see him again after that. You could probably put Cordell, Willy and Tilson in that category tho (needing MLB at bats), though more in the longer term since they're all hurt at the moment.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)
My guess is May is more or less out of the picture. He may get a September call up, but I don't expect to see him again after that. You could probably put Cordell, Willy and Tilson in that category tho (needing MLB at bats), though more in the longer term since they're all hurt at the moment.

When healthy, I agree.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)

I think out of that whole group Tilson is probably the one that we may never see again. Even hurt, he's buried on the depth chart.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)

Much harder for someone to learn how to hit mlb pitching than learn defensive technique. If he can only handle LF so be it I'm sure he can become a passable defender there.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 01:09 AM)
Much harder for someone to learn how to hit mlb pitching than learn defensive technique. If he can only handle LF so be it I'm sure he can become a passable defender there.

He isn't THAT good of a hitter at his ceiling. We aren't talking about Carlos Lee here.