Rick Hahn & Kenny Williams Sign Long Term Extensions

GGajewski18

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“It’s tough, very tough,’’ Reinsdorf says. “What made it hard for me was my age. I’m 81 years old. How long am I going to be around, right? So why would I want to go for a full rebuild at my age.

“The decision I made was that I can’t be a factor in this thing. As the owner of this team, I have an obligation to do what’s right for the fans. The real owner of a team is the fans, the owner is a custodian. I will be gone one day, but fans will still be there. So you got to run the team what’s right for the fans and not even think about how old I am.

Thanks for confirming what I've suspected for the last few years. I'm still surprised JR went through with the rebuild. If I were an 81 year old team owner, I wouldn't want to rebuild. Kudos to JR for doing the right thing.

If I was 81 and didn't want to rebuild and had made tens of millions through sweet heart public financing and connections to MLB, I'd say "I'm going to spend a lot of my own money to build the best player development, talent scouting, and mlb roster" and see what happens but I guess that's why i'm not rich.

And the thread devolves into a thousand spirals.

Kudos to Hahn and Kenny. WHen compared to Jerry's other dynamic duo they did much more to show vision and leadership.

The article is nothing but a bunch of bulls***. It must be nice for JR to finally give a interview to somebody in the media. And if you notice he gave the interview to somebody who is not a local writer. Anyways, what is that writer smoking when he said he expects JR to be inducted into the MLB Hall Of Fame? Also JR said the fans are the real owner of the team, the owner is just the custodian of the team. He thought so much of White Sox fans he came very close to moving the team to Florida. Last but not least he said Ventura can come back to the White Sox for a job anytime he wants to. I certainly hope he doesn't want to bring him back as manager.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
The article is nothing but a bunch of bulls***. It must be nice for JR to finally give a interview to somebody in the media. And if you notice he gave the interview to somebody who is not a local writer. Anyways, what is that writer smoking when he said he expects JR to be inducted into the MLB Hall Of Fame? Also JR said the fans are the real owner of the team, the owner is just the custodian of the team. He thought so much of White Sox fans he came very close to moving the team to Florida. Last but not least he said Ventura can come back to the White Sox for a job anytime he wants to. I certainly hope he doesn't want to bring him back as manager.

If Selig can get in, I don't see how Reinsdorf wouldn't.

Interesting.

This is what several MLB franchises have done with their top executives before selling the team, the Marlins are the latest example. Its a way of giving them a golden parachute in case the new owner wants to clean house, and puts the new owner on the hook for any buyouts.

But at the same time JR is saying in the article that he plans to be around for quite a while longer.

Given the smoke in the media about a possible sale last winter, I still think things are pointing in the direction that the team is sold within the next 18 months, right before the next TV contract negotiations are commenced.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)

Its not a tall hill to climb for the longest tenured owner in baseball to get into the HOF, especially since he actually won a championship.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
If I was 81 and didn't want to rebuild and had made tens of millions through sweet heart public financing and connections to MLB, I'd say "I'm going to spend a lot of my own money to build the best player development, talent scouting, and mlb roster" and see what happens but I guess that's why i'm not rich.

And the thread devolves into a thousand spirals.

Kudos to Hahn and Kenny. WHen compared to Jerry's other dynamic duo they did much more to show vision and leadership.

I'd argue GarPax were quicker to embrace trades and rebuilding than Kenny.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
I'd argue GarPax were quicker to embrace trades and rebuilding than Kenny.

Dude. This hurts me to read.

One - different sport and levels of contention

Two - Kenny did much more to extend the competitive window of a championship team than they did

Three - the vision the sox have shown in their rebuild and, to date, acute timing of the market to maximize returns and show fans what they are intending to do was 1000x fold better than garpax

But that the drama in the bulls org is so much worse than KW drama says soemthing. The lying, backstabbing, trashing reputations, and then failing in EVERY attempt to replace the player you said was trash was the most embarrassing episode in Chicago sports in my lifetime IMO.

They have pretty much destroyed the NBA for me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 10:19 PM)
Can't fire him until 2021, he's got that long. Better be in the series that year.

Once you let this group start down the road you are kind of married to them for a while.

The one surprising part about this is that this would seem to mean that Kenny gave up his chase for a Presidency, or there was a promise made to him. Either way, interesting.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)
Interesting.

This is what several MLB franchises have done with their top executives before selling the team, the Marlins are the latest example. Its a way of giving them a golden parachute in case the new owner wants to clean house, and puts the new owner on the hook for any buyouts.

But at the same time JR is saying in the article that he plans to be around for quite a while longer.

Given the smoke in the media about a possible sale last winter, I still think things are pointing in the direction that the team is sold within the next 18 months, right before the next TV contract negotiations are commenced.

Clearly, if JR says he is going nowhere and wants to be around for when the team is good again, it means the team will be sold in 18 months.

Sorry, your dream of JR selling isn't happening, as he has stated on many occassions.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
Dude. This hurts me to read.

One - different sport and levels of contention

Two - Kenny did much more to extend the competitive window of a championship team than they did

Three - the vision the sox have shown in their rebuild and, to date, acute timing of the market to maximize returns and show fans what they are intending to do was 1000x fold better than garpax

But that the drama in the bulls org is so much worse than KW drama says soemthing. The lying, backstabbing, trashing reputations, and then failing in EVERY attempt to replace the player you said was trash was the most embarrassing episode in Chicago sports in my lifetime IMO.

They have pretty much destroyed the NBA for me.

I don't follow the Bulls as much as most of you, I could be wrong. I just see the 2009-2016 White Sox as just a much longer period of wasted time and prime talent. In a sport where simply making the playoffs makes you a title contender, they competed for a playoff spot maybe once. The Bulls screwed up all the D-Rose stuff, but when he was healthy they were much closer to winning the Sox ever were.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
Clearly, if JR says he is going nowhere and wants to be around for when the team is good again, it means the team will be sold in 18 months.

Sorry, your dream of JR selling isn't happening, as he has stated on many occassions.

Yes, because professional sports owners never say one thing and do another.

Its not my dream, there was a lot of speculation thrown around last winter that JR was open to selling the team. I am just piecing together data points and drawing a conclusion, it may be totally incorrect, but its what I am able to discern from the extremely limited data points that have been given.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
Yes, because professional sports owners never say one thing and do another.

Its not my dream, there was a lot of speculation thrown around last winter that JR was open to selling the team. I am just piecing together data points and drawing a conclusion, it may be totally incorrect, but its what I am able to discern from the extremely limited data points that have been given.

The speculation was wrong. When has JR ever publicly said something and did the exact opposite?

Sorry, I am just amazed how JR saying he's in it for the long run means anything else but what he says.

If he said he was thinking about selling, would that mean he wasn't going to sell?

The speculation was just that, speculation. No sources, just opinions.

JR has consistently said, on Chicago Tonight in 2004, in stories in the Chicago Tribune two years ago and now in this story that he is not selling and intends to own the team until he passes away.

He's not selling folks.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
I don't follow the Bulls as much as most of you, I could be wrong. I just see the 2009-2016 White Sox as just a much longer period of wasted time and prime talent. In a sport where simply making the playoffs makes you a title contender, they competed for a playoff spot maybe once. The Bulls screwed up all the D-Rose stuff, but when he was healthy they were much closer to winning the Sox ever were.

It was after Rose's injuries that they just went full on terrible.

And as good as Hahn is at maximizing asset return, GarPax is the exact opposite.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)

lets just say that pretty much every personnel move since Rose got hurt could be honestly compared to Shields for Tatis Jr. Especially the Butler trade. And add to that how bad they have treated their coaching staffs, it is truly mind boggling that GarPax are still employed

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 10:27 PM)
Would have waited until at least 2019 to do this...we also "won" a couple of off-seasons recently, only to have absolutely nothing to show for it.

This is absolutely ludicrous logic. These guys have put together a 5 year plan, and you're idea was to not have their contracts renewed long term until 2019? You don't have any idea how it's going to turn out by 2019. Give them their job security, let them work, and if it hasn't worked by 2021 (or 2020, frankly), then you are able to go in a different direction.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
I thought JR doesn't own the team and if he sold his stake it would not result in new ownership.

Am I mistaken.

I wonder if at some point KW becomes Chairman and President with Hahn taking over all baseball operations.

White Sox yes, Bulls no. JR is a minority owner, and supposedly not even the biggest one of the ownership group when it comes to the White Sox.

QUOTE (Quin @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
It was after Rose's injuries that they just went full on terrible.

And as good as Hahn is at maximizing asset return, GarPax is the exact opposite.

IMO they were terrible before that. When you have a MVP leading his team to the ECF, you can't expect to win with Keith Bogans in your starting lineup. I still believe that an adequate starting shooting guard was all that team needed, and management failed to get one both in the offseason and at the trade deadline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
White Sox yes, Bulls no. JR is a minority owner, and supposedly not even the biggest one of the ownership group when it comes to the White Sox.

Over the years stories have speculated that he owns anywhere from 12% to as high as 30%. JR has never told anyone exactly how much he owns.

He does however have in his contract that he runs the day to day operations, does not have to consult with the other owners on moves and can not be removed from that position unless the operation loses money consistently or he does something illegal.

Also if he wishes to sell the team the other owners can not stop him unless of course they wish to buy it from him.