Leury Garcia

ron883

The dude is putting up an 800 ops season while playing great defense in CF ( according to advanced metrics), and he can play all OF and infield positions. He has 3 years of control left after this year.

Does Hahn work his magic and try for a team friendly extension? Do they try and flip him in the off-season/next year? Both? The guy is looking like a 3 WAR supersub. I'm not sure how to accurately value the versatility provided by a supersub, but it is quite a valuable asset.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:40 PM)
The dude is putting up an 800 ops season while playing great defense in CF ( according to advanced metrics), and he can play all OF and infield positions. He has 3 years of control left after this year.

Does Hahn work his magic and try for a team friendly extension? Do they try and flip him in the off-season/next year? Both? The guy is looking like a 3 WAR supersub. I'm not sure how to accurately value the versatility provided by a supersub, but it is quite a valuable asset.

I'd let him compete for the starting SS job.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:59 PM)
If he maintains his production over the next six weeks, I wouldn't be against a cheap extension. Out of all the surprises this year (Avi, Davidson, Sanchez, etc.), I have the most faith in Leury going forward.

By the end of this season, he will have over 3 years of service time. His "cheap" window is gone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
By the end of this season, he will have over 3 years of service time. His "cheap" window is gone.

He was never a bonus baby though I think Hahn and the FO will lock him up to a 25M contract, buy out his three remaining ARB years so they have cost certainty then have two additional team options with a 750k buy out for year 1 and a 1.5M for year two.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
He was never a bonus baby though I think Hahn and the FO will lock him up to a 25M contract, buy out his three remaining ARB years so they have cost certainty then have two additional team options with a 750k buy out for year 1 and a 1.5M for year two.

I don't see the need for a Leury extension. He doesn't really hit any of the check boxes that would be looked at for a typical player extension, especially now that he is getting into his arb years. Unless you are looking at a 4 to 6 year deal to buy out some free agency, there really isn't a point here, especially because even if this is his peak, you won't be saving THAT much money now with his cheap years gone to spread some money into.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:43 PM)
I'd let him compete for the starting SS job.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not lol.

If not, with Anderson's recent contract, and if he finished the year strong like he currently is, that position is all but his. I could see Leury starting the year in LF, with Delmonico as the DH. Maybe throw Delmonico out there every once in a while.

He doesn't have the track record at this point to make me commit 25 million to him. I let him show me at least the first half of the year. He could then be extended or a valuable flip. This is his fifth year appearing in MLB. Age 26 and the first he has had any success. His OPS this year is .788, previously his best year was .614. His upside if he can continue to do this is very valuable. Zobrist has a career OPS of .784 , over 12 years has 42 WAR and earned 57 million with about 30 more guaranteed. Now this could be Leury's high point but let him show us. The first year of arbitration won't be that expensive. Revisit this discussion the middle of next year. Pretty much the same way I feel about Avi. If one or both are doing this well at next years deadline with 1.5 years of doing well, they will be very valuable trade pieces or you discuss extending.

Leury is a good player. I don't see a real need to deal with an extension anytime soon. They could do it now and it would be cheap; wait a year and if he performs it's more expensive. On the other hand, other guys might develop who are as good as Leury and play similar positions. If that happens, they can trade him or the other guy (likely for pitching).

Engel is handling CF defensively - the bat though; not sure how a guy like Narvaez is doing defensively, but his bat, while not good, is no worse than what the Sox have gotten since AJ's prime and he's improving. And he gets on base.

The position players/prospects are coming around. Looks like the Sox will have a lot of solid hitters, and maybe 1 or 2 elite ones. That will do the trick.

I know I'm a contrarian, but to me it's the pitching. I count maybe 10-12 solid prospects, but they need double that number. I know the Cubs traded for and signed pitching, but that's hit or miss too.

Edited by GreenSox