Sox must find consistant closer

southsider2k5

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...ent-closer.html

Ah, the mind of a closer. The dark, lonely, sometimes

bizarre mind of a closer. Each one different, but in many ways the twisted same.

The goal is to get three outs and get home. But that path home is where it gets interesting.

For Sergio Santos, it’s a series of lies. He wants the ninth inning to feel no different than the fourth, seventh or eighth. So as he warms up in the bullpen after the phone call is made, he has a conversation with himself.

‘‘For everyone [else], it’s like, ‘Here we go, it’s the ninth inning,’ ’’ Santos said. ‘‘But for me, it has to be the same approach as the seventh inning. I have to tell myself that. .  .  . Whether it’s the seventh inning, eighth inning, first inning, I’m coming in, throwing, getting my three outs and we’re done. I’ll let the media [and] the fans have the excitement that this is the ninth.’’

So does it work? Santos laughed.

‘‘Well, you have to fool yourself into believing that,’’ he said.

That’s where things get interesting because sometimes the lie doesn’t take. That has been the disturbing trend lately.

Even though Santos earned his 12th save Sunday, it was more tightrope than ‘‘three outs and we’re done.’’ He allowed an RBI single to Jemile Weeks with two outs to turn a 5-3 lead into a one-run nail-biter, then needed a generous out call from umpire Brian O’Nora on a play at first base to end the game.

In his last 10 appearances, Santos has allowed 12 earned runs in 112/3 innings for a 9.26 ERA. Meet the latest Sox pitcher to wear the ‘‘closer’’ title, Sox fans. And try sleeping at night.

‘‘You have so much adrenaline, you want to do so well,’’ Santos, who only has been pitching for three years, said of his on-the-job-training. ‘‘The best thing for you to do is to step back and do less. Let whatever you do take over.

‘‘You start [saying to yourself]: ‘I’m going to try and make my slider nasty. I’m going to paint the corners.’ No. It’s a learning experience, and I feel like I have that in the memory bank now. .  .  . If I’m starting to lose it, step back, relax and let them put the ball in play.’’

Ask the Sox whom their closer is these days, and they will tell you they have four. Manager Ozzie Guillen will say Santos first because he still is getting most of the chances there. But then he’ll rattle off Jesse Crain, Matt Thornton and even Chris Sale.

Four closers. That means you really don’t have one — at least not one you know you can ride from now until September. And show me a team that enters September with a closer-by-committee, and I’ll show you a team that can make tee times for early October.

‘‘You look at most good teams and teams in the playoffs, you don’t see teams with closers-by-committee,’’ catcher A.J. Pierzynski said. ‘‘It’s important to find one guy and stick with him.’’

When they broke spring camp, the Sox thought they had that guy in Thornton. But four consecutive blown saves out of the gate cost him his job as the closer and, outside the Sox’ clubhouse, his reputation.

See, when you fail in the seventh inning, it’s a bad outing. When you fail in the ninth, it’s because you can’t hack it and don’t have the mental makeup to close.

That’s what we do to athletes these days: We put them in a box. Thornton’s box was labeled ‘‘fragile.’’

‘‘What happened in that time was it just wasn’t going my way; it wasn’t working out for me,’’ Thornton said. ‘‘Plus, Sergio was the hottest reliever in all of baseball.

‘‘But if people don’t think I can close .  .  . it’s not something that bothers me at all that people want to think that. You put me in the game for the ninth inning, I feel like I’m going to get the job done.’’

Thornton has posted a 2.31 ERA in his last 12 appearances. But can he do the job in the ninth if he gets the closer’s job back?

‘‘Absolutely,’’ he said. ‘‘There is no fear.’’

Not a doubt in his mind.

A closer is supposed to lose some games for you. Santos is really young and raw and has a wonderful attitude. He'd been getting the job done up until Oakland as opposed to Thornton who blew chunks immediately. I'm more than willing to give Santos some rope here as he has the potential to be a really, really good closer. He's a good story all around.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
I'd like to see thorton back in there right now, personally, to see if he can hack it. It would be nice to see this team make moves before their non-decisions bury them.

Thornton had his chance and failed we can no longer take the risk of losing games where we have the lead in the 9th and should win. Thornton serves best as an 8th inning relief man, what he has done best in his career with the White Sox.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
Thornton had his chance and failed we can no longer take the risk of losing games where we have the lead in the 9th and should win. Thornton serves best as an 8th inning relief man, what he has done best in his career with the White Sox.

Uh, have you seen sergio pitch lately? That's exactly my point.

When thornton failed he just wasn't throwing any of his pitches very well. I think he has reigned control in and could now perform. Do you think its a mental thing?

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)

When thorton failed he just wasn't throwing any of his pitches very well. I think he has reigned control in and could now perform. Do you think its a mental thing?

I'm still not sure that I'm confident in Thornton right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
I'm still not sure that I'm confident in Thornton right now.

Neither am I, but out of everyone in the closer committee, I believe he has pitched the best in the last 10 games. I could be wrong about that.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)

When thorton failed he just wasn't throwing any of his pitches very well. I think he has reigned control in and could now perform. Do you think its a mental thing?

Ya Santos has hit a bump on the road, but I don't think you yank him yet after just one blown save this past 2 weeks. I certainly do believe there is a different mental aspect between the 8th and 9th innings. It might not be that great of a deal for the pitcher but for hitters they certainly bat different. B/c it is ur last shot at scoring runs so the batting approach/mentality is certainly different. It just makes it that much easier for the hitters to cue up on a fastball when they know that is coming.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Ya Santos has hit a bump on the road, but I don't think you yank him yet after just one blown save this past 2 weeks. I certainly do believe there is a different mental aspect between the 8th and 9th innings. It might not be that great of a deal for the pitcher but for hitters they certainly bat different. B/c it is ur last shot at scoring runs so the batting approach/mentality is certainly different. It just makes it that much easier for the hitters to cue up on a fastball when they know that is coming.

In his last 10 games, he also has 4 losses to go with the blown save, and looks ineffective and sometimes downright scary up there. More recently, in his last three outings he has given up 8 ER. I'd like to see him make it through an inning without an ER before trotting him out there in a save situation again.

I'm not saying that thornton should be the guy, but I would like to see him get a few chances to see if he can be more successful.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
His record on the season is 2-3. How are you counting these losses?

I have no idea what I was looking at, sorry. Three losses and two blown saves is what he has actually done in his last 10 games.

Edited by MAX

The interview after the last game of the A's series with Santos was pretty telling.

He didn't seem nervous or pissed at himself for almost blowing another one. He was composed and calm. He seems to have the right closer's mentality, and you could see that going back to "The Club" last year. Also, he's a converted SS, which seems to help for closers for some reason haha

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
The interview after the last game of the A's series with Santos was pretty telling.

He didn't seem nervous or pissed at himself for almost blowing another one. He was composed and calm. He seems to have the right closer's mentality, and you could see that going back to "The Club" last year. Also, he's a converted SS, which seems to help for closers for some reason haha

Ya Santos was cool about it, Thornton if I recall from the videos wasn't as calm as Santos, and was profane at some instances which I understand would happen when you blow so many leads. But Santos seems better suited for the closer's role.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
A closer is supposed to lose some games for you. Santos is really young and raw and has a wonderful attitude. He'd been getting the job done up until Oakland as opposed to Thornton who blew chunks immediately. I'm more than willing to give Santos some rope here as he has the potential to be a really, really good closer. He's a good story all around.

Well at least we have Crain and Thornton who can go back into the spot if necessary, but we should leave Santos in there for now. Even though I have never believed Thornton is a closer, I am "ok" with giving him a few opportunities to do it here and there to give Santos the night when he needs rest. If we can get Peavy back and put Jackson into the Pen this team becomes stronger in the back and it would be overall a better thing moving forward in my opinion.

I like Santos as our closer. He has 3 really good pitches and knows how to switch up velocity when needed. Santos may have hit a bump or two this past week- but he has no fear and I believe he can be a really effective closer for this team the rest of the year.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)

I agree. And if you're going to put someone else in there for a few games, make it anyone but Thornton. The last thing we need to do is to allow him to hurt his confidence again and go into another spiral.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)

This may be a dumb question, but who else are you referring to?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
This may be a dumb question, but who else are you referring to?

Trevor Hoffman was a SS in college and was drafted as one by the Reds and converted to a pitcher after he didn't have much success at that position

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
I knew it had to be someone big, but I had no idea.

If only Sergio was left handed and broke his arm at some point and had to learn to throw righty...he'd be SET

I also, just thought of the WORST nickname for Santos: Serg Protector... Awful. You're welcome.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
If only Sergio was left handed and broke his arm at some point and had to learn to throw righty...he'd be SET

I also, just thought of the WORST nickname for Santos: Serg Protector... Awful. You're welcome.

Just stop it Joe...oh wait, sorry, figured it was him.