Fangraphs projects CWS at 81-81, 4GB in ALC

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
Curious how much further one of the OF'ers would take them.

Assuming they would be replacing Avi and they are using Avi's projected Steamer prediction:

Cespedes 2.6 wins

Upton 2.5 wins

Pearce 1.7 wins

Fowler 1.4 wins

Parra 0.7 wins

CarGo 1.4 wins

FWIW KC led baseball in "cluster luck" last year.

https://thepowerrank.com/cluster-luck/

Their rotation is still awful, they've lost a couple key bullpen pieces, they have a black hole at 2B, and it's very likely we'll see regression from Cain, Morales, Hosmer, and Moustakas (him in particular because he's never come close to hitting that well before), and Escobar and Dyson can't hit. I do think the projections are harsh on them (I don't think WAR accurately represents relievers' value yet, and the defensive metrics for WAR are not particularly reliable either, especially for projections), but I agree with raBBit and the projections that Cleveland is currently the team to beat in the ALC.

Edited by OmarComing25

They were pretty damn lucky in 2013, hence the regression they all foresaw then. Clearly there is something the model is undervaluing, likely with the contact and defense, and relievers.

The model was undervaluing those things back in 2005 and still hasn't adjusted.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Cleveland is pretty damn good in my mind. Once Brantley returns... They have the best rotation in the division and a lineup that I think Lindor is totally going to change over a full year. Lindor is going to terrorize us for years. I think he's an MVP candidate and a complete game changer for the Tribe.

1.) Kluber

2.) Carrasco

3.) Salazar

4.) Bauer

5.) Anderson

CF Davis

SS Lindor

2B Kipnis

LF Brantley

1B Santana

DH Napoli

C Gomes

RF Chisenhall

3B Johnson

I hear ya but we were saying the same thing last year as well. Maybe it all comes together for them next year and I am sure there will be a lot of people picking them but I personally dont feel as threatened by the Tribe as the other four teams. But all things considered its going to be a damn good division next year I would bet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings

Proected ALC

Indians 85-77

White Sox 81-81

Royals 79-83

Tigers 79-83

Twins 78-84

The records of teams in these predictions, even teams they are predicting to win the division, are always awful. Does anyone really think all 5 teams will be separated by 7 games in the standings?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
The records of teams in these predictions, even teams they are predicting to win the division, are always awful. Does anyone really think all 5 teams will be separated by 7 games in the standings?

Generally these predictors are conservative; they don't often predict 100 win teams or 60 loss teams. To do that in the predictions, you have to be unbelievably loaded or unbelievably terrible.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)

Projections are always by their nature going to be conservative. They actually do OK in predicting individual player performance, but there's too many factors at play to really accurately project the records of teams. A team could replay the season 5 times, have all their players put up the exact same numbers each time, but have 5 very different records at the end of each season. That's not including extra stuff like random breakouts, injuries, underperformance, and players from the minors stepping in and contributing.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
I feel like 2/3 of the teams are between 75 and 82 wins. Maybe that's how it actually turns our or I'm wrong,.

You're right, the projections tend to be very moderate. Example: even though you'll usually end up with a 100-win team, it's hard to project anybody doing it as the most likely outcome.

They're a good way to gauge where teams are at, but there are enough wild misses every single year that they should not be taken too seriously.

With Brantley out until midseason, and huge holes (the equivalent of Saladino, Avi and LaRoche) at 3b and RF, the Indians really shouldn't be the favorite until they prove they can win with Brantley. Rajai Davis isn't that impressive, either...and who knows what Napoli actually has left.

Not to mention Kipnis and Santana are so inconsistent. But yeah, Lindor's so overlooked because of the team he plays for and the arrival of Correa and Bryant at roughly the same time. And they should have a healthy Gomes for the full season.

If they added Cespedes or Upton, sure. Pen has some question marks, as well as overall defense.

Edited by caulfield12