Chris Crawford Top 20 White Sox Prospects

Y2Jimmy0

Chris Crawford is a prospect and draft writer for ESPN and Rotoworld. He has prospect guides for a very modest price (a few $$) that can be yours. They are fantastic. I can't post them but I will talk about what's in it and recommend them to all.

1. Yoan Moncada 2B: Hit 60, Power 55, Speed 70, Glove 50, Arm 60. Still the #1 prospect in baseball. Floor is an average regular with 20 SB's per year. Ceiling: MVP Candidate

2. Lucas Giolito RHP: 70FB, 70 CRV, 55CHG, 55 COMM. Crawford thinks people dropping Giolito down prospect lists are insane. Still best pitching prospect in baseball.

3. Michael Kopech RHP: 80 FB, 55SL, 50CHG, 45 COMM. Best FB in minor leagues. Ceiling: TOR Floor: Dominant Reliever

4. Reynaldo Lopez: Electric stuff. Crawford thinks he's probably a reliever but chance to start.

5. Zach Collins C. All Star if he can stay at C. A lot better defensively than he was early in college.

6. Alec Hansen RHP: If command can be fringe/average, he could be very good.

7. Dane Dunning RHP: Good body. Mid-Rotation Upside.

8. Luis Alexander Basabe CF: Offensive skill-set very volatile. All-Star Ceiling but Floor of 4th/5th OF

9. Zach Burdi: Best Relief PItching prospect in baseball

10. Carson Fulmer RHP: Bullpen. Crawford has never really been a fan.

11. Spencer Adams: Only 20. Really high floor of back-end SP.

12. Charlie Tilson: Big fan. Probably 4th OF but could have "long big league career"

13. Jordan Stephens RHP: "If 45 Changeup can get to average, he'll be a big riser".

14. Jameson Fisher: Loves hit tool. Probably DH or 1B though with 40 Throw, GL, and Speed.

15. Adam Engel CF: Legit 80 runner. Doesn't think he'll hit enough to let speed play.

16. Micker Adolfo OF

17. Jake Peter: Thinks he'll help White Sox this season

18. Jordan Guerrero LHP

19. Alex Call: "If he can stay in CF, this ranking will look foolish"

20. Luis Curbelo: Big fan of draft pick. Probably 2B with power/speed combo.

Thanks for posting. His lists in the past with BP were... uninformed. I emailed him a series of factual errors from his last list, he made I think 4 of them in the span of 10-15 names. And his scouting info was in some cases quite stale. I think he's just not very good.

That said, most of the above list makes sense to me. I have only small disagreements.

I just read the full article on this list and hoooooooooly crap, it's worse than last year's. I honestly am starting to think the guy just makes stuff up. I don't mean subjective stuff like where he ranks players - everyone has their own likes/dislikes and biases. I mean factual information about players is just dead wrong, repeatedly. Velos are way off, what pitches they throw is wrong on multiple pitchers too, and some other info that is objective in nature or close to it.

I rarely get on the cases of professional writers, because they know far more than I do. But Crawford is consistently the one exception for me, among prospect writers anyway. He doesn't see players in person. He fills in gaps by guessing and making s*** up. He uses stale info that is clearly from someone else without crediting it. I can honestly say that, for prospects in the Sox system, our FS writers are substantially more knowledgeable than this guy. That's not good for a writer being paid to be a voice of knowledge.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
I just read the full article on this list and hoooooooooly crap, it's worse than last year's. I honestly am starting to think the guy just makes stuff up. I don't mean subjective stuff like where he ranks players - everyone has their own likes/dislikes and biases. I mean factual information about players is just dead wrong, repeatedly. Velos are way off, what pitches they throw is wrong on multiple pitchers too, and some other info that is objective in nature or close to it.

I rarely get on the cases of professional writers, because they know far more than I do. But Crawford is consistently the one exception for me, among prospect writers anyway. He doesn't see players in person. He fills in gaps by guessing and making s*** up. He uses stale info that is clearly from someone else without crediting it. I can honestly say that, for prospects in the Sox system, our FS writers are substantially more knowledgeable than this guy. That's not good for a writer being paid to be a voice of knowledge.

I get the feeling you dont care for this guy's work very much. Its like you have a very negative opinion of his work because its absolute s***.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
Chris Crawford is a prospect and draft writer for ESPN and Rotoworld. He has prospect guides for a very modest price (a few $$) that can be yours. They are fantastic. I can't post them but I will talk about what's in it and recommend them to all.

1. Yoan Moncada 2B: Hit 60, Power 55, Speed 70, Glove 50, Arm 60. Still the #1 prospect in baseball. Floor is an average regular with 20 SB's per year. Ceiling: MVP Candidate

2. Lucas Giolito RHP: 70FB, 70 CRV, 55CHG, 55 COMM. Crawford thinks people dropping Giolito down prospect lists are insane. Still best pitching prospect in baseball.

3. Michael Kopech RHP: 80 FB, 55SL, 50CHG, 45 COMM. Best FB in minor leagues. Ceiling: TOR Floor: Dominant Reliever

4. Reynaldo Lopez: Electric stuff. Crawford thinks he's probably a reliever but chance to start.

5. Zach Collins C. All Star if he can stay at C. A lot better defensively than he was early in college.

6. Alec Hansen RHP: If command can be fringe/average, he could be very good.

7. Dane Dunning RHP: Good body. Mid-Rotation Upside.

8. Luis Alexander Basabe CF: Offensive skill-set very volatile. All-Star Ceiling but Floor of 4th/5th OF

9. Zach Burdi: Best Relief PItching prospect in baseball

10. Carson Fulmer RHP: Bullpen. Crawford has never really been a fan.

11. Spencer Adams: Only 20. Really high floor of back-end SP.

12. Charlie Tilson: Big fan. Probably 4th OF but could have "long big league career"

13. Jordan Stephens RHP: "If 45 Changeup can get to average, he'll be a big riser".

14. Jameson Fisher: Loves hit tool. Probably DH or 1B though with 40 Throw, GL, and Speed.

15. Adam Engel CF: Legit 80 runner. Doesn't think he'll hit enough to let speed play.

16. Micker Adolfo OF

17. Jake Peter: Thinks he'll help White Sox this season

18. Jordan Guerrero LHP

19. Alex Call: "If he can stay in CF, this ranking will look foolish"

20. Luis Curbelo: Big fan of draft pick. Probably 2B with power/speed combo.

The White Sox did Fulmer a disservice by aggressively pushing him to the mlb in 2016

He really needs a full season in AAA to work on his control. I think his floor could be a quality 7th inning bullpen piece or setup man

I would not give up on him starting though. It's too soon to make that call.