Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

Resign:

RP Al Albuquerque 1 year/1 million

Extension:

1B Jose Abreu 4 years/65 million million

Trades:

White Sox trade RF Avisail Garcia to the Cardinals for OF Tyler O'Neil, SP Sandy Alcantara, and a lower level prospect.

White Sox acquire C Yasmani Grandal from the Dodgers for SP Jordan Stephens and SP Luis Martinez

or

White Sox acquire C JT Realmuto from the Marlins for SP Dane Dunning and OF Micker Adolfo

Free Agency:

SP Michael Pineda 1 year/8 million

RP Jake McGee 3 years/20 million

RP Bryan Shaw 3 years/21 million

CF Cameron Maybin 1 year/5 million

Lineup:

SS Tim Anderson

2B Yoan Moncada

1B Jose Abreu

C Yasmani Grandal

DH Matt Davidson

LF Nicky Delmonico

RF Tyler O'Neil

3B Carlos Sanchez

CF Cameron Maybin

Bench:

UTIL Tyler Saladino

C Omar Narvaez

OF Adam Engel

UTIL Jake Peter

Starting Rotation

SP James Shields

SP Lucas Giolito

SP Michael Pineda

SP Reynaldo Lopez

SP Carson Fulmer

Bullpen:

RP Gregory Infante

RP Al Alburquerque

RP Danny Farquhar

RP Chris Beck

RP Aaron Bummer

RP Jake McGee

RP Bryan Shaw

Thoughts? What would you guys do?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 05:29 PM)
You're not getting Realmuto for that.

You're right, but I think Dunning could be a good starting piece.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 05:35 PM)
I wouldn't trade those guys for two catchers when Narvaez is fairly serviceable and Collins is almost ready.

I think a veteran presence and one with better defensive numbers can be better. Narvaez hits and has a good eye, but he doesn't hit for any power and we know everyone complains about his framing.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
Disgusted

What would you do?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)
I just don't see a whole of big things happening this winter. The two guys who we might trade don't have any real trade value as of now in Abreu and Avi. We also aren't going out and signing anyone of note this winter. It is going to be a long and quiet winter.

I think we can sign some good pen guys like McGee and Shaw because they would still be here when we are good and all it will cost is money.

Sign C Rene Rivera 1yr 1.5 MM

Sign OF Curtis Granderson 1yr 7 MM

Sign LHP Jaime Garcia 3yr 27 MM

Sign RHP Pat Neshek 1yr 7 MM

Sign LHP Josh Edgin 1 yr 1 MM

Try to pick up some depth on waivers, especially SP

Really don't see any big player trades happening this offseason. Plenty of cash to spend but I don't think the Sox get too crazy.

Rotation - Shields/Garcia/Giolito/Lopez/Fulmer or waiver claim, and when Rodon is ready, slot him in.

BP - Nate Jones / Neshek / Alburquerque / Farquhar / Infante / Edgin /Whoever else shows up

C Narvaez / Rivera

1B Abreu / Davidson

2B Moncada / Sanchez

SS Anderson / Sanchez / L Garcia

3B Sanchez / Davidson

LF Granderson

CF - One of Cordell / Tillson / Engel

RF Avi

DH Delmonico / Davidson

Could probably use another IF but sure, why not. If that crew can win ~75 or more games, start spending.

I think Abreu is worth more to the Sox than what another team is willing to pay so I doubt he's going anywhere. Curious as to how many teams are looking for a corner outfielder in regards to Avi. Not going to count on there being alot of teams interested in Avi and think he's with the Sox at least until July.The most action we'll likely see is the Sox signing a few Swarzak type relievers. 2018 is about continuing the development of players/pitchers to get a better idea of where the team stands going into the 2018/19 winter when much better free agents are available.

My off season plan is to watch again games from 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012 in my library and to do my best to still be around in 2020...and hope they don't screw the rebuild up.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
My off season plan is to watch again games from 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012 in my library and to do my best to still be around in 2020...and hope they don't screw the rebuild up.

:wub:

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
What would you guys do?

Keep all the prospects and continue developing them. Wait until later in the offseason, say early February or late January to sign some bargain basement players who have been left without any other suitors - just with hopes to flip em at the deadline.

Pray all goes well with Kopech and Eloy... call me both up when their eligibility for additional service time allows it.

That's about it.

I don't really see them signing multi-year deals with anyone. Veteran backup catcher, veteran starter like Chris Tillman, 1-2 veteran relievers on 1 year deals as well. They could sign some guys to potentially flip and add a ton of guys on minor league deals. I also think they explore Avisail Garcia and extend Abreu. Next year isn't a compete year. It's a growth year with kids playing. Next year's free agent class is a different story though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 1, 2017 -> 07:49 AM)
I don't really see them signing multi-year deals with anyone. Veteran backup catcher, veteran starter like Chris Tillman, 1-2 veteran relievers on 1 year deals as well. They could sign some guys to potentially flip and add a ton of guys on minor league deals. I also think they explore Avisail Garcia and extend Abreu. Next year isn't a compete year. It's a growth year with kids playing. Next year's free agent class is a different story though.

Agree 100% with this. Avi Garcia is the one guy they might move and I think they’ll want real value for him. If they can’t get that, they give him until the deadline to prove himself to potential suitors. Also, I fully expect Abreu to sign a four year extension this offseason.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 05:20 PM)
Resign:

RP Al Albuquerque 1 year/1 million

Extension:

1B Jose Abreu 4 years/65 million million

Trades:

White Sox trade RF Avisail Garcia to the Cardinals for OF Tyler O'Neil, SP Sandy Alcantara, and a lower level prospect.

White Sox acquire C Yasmani Grandal from the Dodgers for SP Jordan Stephens and SP Luis Martinez

or

White Sox acquire C JT Realmuto from the Marlins for SP Dane Dunning and OF Micker Adolfo

Free Agency:

SP Michael Pineda 1 year/8 million

RP Jake McGee 3 years/20 million

RP Bryan Shaw 3 years/21 million

CF Cameron Maybin 1 year/5 million

Lineup:

SS Tim Anderson

2B Yoan Moncada

1B Jose Abreu

C Yasmani Grandal

DH Matt Davidson

LF Nicky Delmonico

RF Tyler O'Neil

3B Carlos Sanchez

CF Cameron Maybin

Bench:

UTIL Tyler Saladino

C Omar Narvaez

OF Adam Engel

UTIL Jake Peter

Starting Rotation

SP James Shields

SP Lucas Giolito

SP Michael Pineda

SP Reynaldo Lopez

SP Carson Fulmer

Bullpen:

RP Gregory Infante

RP Al Alburquerque

RP Danny Farquhar

RP Chris Beck

RP Aaron Bummer

RP Jake McGee

RP Bryan Shaw

Thoughts? What would you guys do?

Sox are not sniffing Realmuto for that package, fangraphs has him tied for 3rd in the mlb in catching WAR in 2017. I also don't see the Sox wanting to sign players to multi year deals while we are still rebuilding.

I see a fairly low key winter, with several one year deals to plug holes. The front office will examine trades and/or longer term signings, but I feel they hold off until next offseason to start making a splash.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 1, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)
Agree 100% with this. Avi Garcia is the one guy they might move and I think they’ll want real value for him. If they can’t get that, they give him until the deadline to prove himself to potential suitors. Also, I fully expect Abreu to sign a four year extension this offseason.

I genuinely will be surprised if they don't move Garcia. RH has seemingly talked enough about it, including in the public with the press, that he seems to think Garcia is movable and he'll be able to get the price he wants for him. I don't think Rick would have responded in this way if he thought the chances of moving Garcia were low.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 1, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
I sort of agree. I will be surprised if he's moved just because I don't see a market, but it's weird Hahn would go out of his way to say Abreu/Garcia are available.

I could see that being a "create a market" setup, telling the world he's available, but we've heard here that RH has said similar things in the season ticket holder meetings where he's not playing to the other 29 GMs as much.

My dream offseason would look something like:

-Sign Jake McGee to a 3 yr, $20 million contract

-Sign Welington Castillo to a 2 yr/$18 million contract

-Sign Wily Peralta to a 1 yr, $5 million contract

-Sign Drew Storen to a 1 yr, $3 million contract

C Castillo

1B Abreu

2B Moncada

SS Anderson

3B Sanchez

LF Delmonico

CF L. Garcia

RF Avi

DH Gillaspie

BE Cordell

BE Peter

BE Narvaez

BE Tilson?

SP Shields

SP Giolito

SP Lopez

SP Fulmer

SP Peralta/Rodon

RP McGee

RP Storen

RP Infante

RP Minaya

RP Farquhar

RP Bummer

RP Kubat

Sox only dire need at this stage of the rebuild is to get bullpen help. I think Storen could be a solid low cost option. With McGee, they have no real dominating LH RP in their system, so I think he'd be a nice option to shut down games until Burdi is back. With signing Castillo, Sox will get another offensive threat that I dont think will make too much money this offseason. Put up 2.7 fWAR this year in a sneaky good season. Pitch framing sucks, but a tandem of him and Narvaez should be good for ~3-4 wins. I think Peralta would be a smart low risk signing because he gives you insurance for Rodon and can be transitioned to the bullpen. I think you ultimately bring up Kopech and Eloy by June and let it rip second half. This team will be a lot better than people think this season, a couple of smart offseason signings could make the second half really interesting.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 1, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
My dream offseason would look something like:

-Sign Jake McGee to a 3 yr, $20 million contract

-Sign Welington Castillo to a 2 yr/$18 million contract

-Sign Wily Peralta to a 1 yr, $5 million contract

-Sign Drew Storen to a 1 yr, $3 million contract

C Castillo

1B Abreu

2B Moncada

SS Anderson

3B Sanchez

LF Delmonico

CF L. Garcia

RF Avi

DH Gillaspie

BE Cordell

BE Peter

BE Narvaez

BE Tilson?

SP Shields

SP Giolito

SP Lopez

SP Fulmer

SP Peralta/Rodon

RP McGee

RP Storen

RP Infante

RP Minaya

RP Farquhar

RP Bummer

RP Kubat

Sox only dire need at this stage of the rebuild is to get bullpen help. I think Storen could be a solid low cost option. With McGee, they have no real dominating LH RP in their system, so I think he'd be a nice option to shut down games until Burdi is back. With signing Castillo, Sox will get another offensive threat that I dont think will make too much money this offseason. Put up 2.7 fWAR this year in a sneaky good season. Pitch framing sucks, but a tandem of him and Narvaez should be good for ~3-4 wins. I think Peralta would be a smart low risk signing because he gives you insurance for Rodon and can be transitioned to the bullpen. I think you ultimately bring up Kopech and Eloy by June and let it rip second half. This team will be a lot better than people think this season, a couple of smart offseason signings could make the second half really interesting.

:lol:

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 1, 2017 -> 07:49 AM)

You are on the same page as me. Roster filling and lottery ticket moves, not competitive ones. They will give the goodwill from the rebuild another year to marinate.