Swole

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Yea man - I saw that when he posted it as well and instantly started texting my friends similar sentiments. Unf***ingreal. Dude takes BeastMode to a whole new level.

"Can't wait to see this dude pitch with the Sox" was the exact phrase I used. 😆

So f***ing amazing. He's almost pulling a TON...

SIDEWAYS!

I'll bet the guy, whom the Sox traded for Kopech, never trained like that. What was his name again? Oh yes; Chris Sale.

I love to see an athlete take his health and fitness seriously. With all of the money at stake, you have to wonder why they don't all dedicate themselves, as Kopech appears to be doing.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
Are pitchers supposed to be jacked like this? I recall Syndergaard and Harvey also bulking up. It didn't work out for them.

It works for some, others, not so much.

There does seem to be a hint in this thread that other Sox pitchers don't work out. They might not get as jacked as this guy, but I would bet every one of them has a pretty extensive offseason program they go through, Another post mentioned the uniforms make these guys look a little smaller, and I agree. I think I have mentioned I almost literally ran into Jake Petricka at Soxfest last year. He looks pretty lanky in uniform, but he's a very large man . I was stunned how big he was.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
I'll bet the guy, whom the Sox traded for Kopech, never trained like that. What was his name again? Oh yes; Chris Sale.

I love to see an athlete take his health and fitness seriously. With all of the money at stake, you have to wonder why they don't all dedicate themselves, as Kopech appears to be doing.

If only that bum Mark Buehrle worked out in the off-season, he could have been something.

Different strokes for different folks. Just because Chris Sale is skinny doesn't mean he's not dedicated. The hate is strong.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
If only that bum Mark Buehrle worked out in the off-season, he could have been something.

Different strokes for different folks. Just because Chris Sale is skinny doesn't mean he's not dedicated. The hate is strong.

Sorry if my post left the impression that I "hate" Sale. Not at all, but I do admire the dedicated athlete.

Regarding the advisability of pitchers doing strength training. While upper body work may be debatable, there isn't much question that a strong core and strong legs are a tremendous asset to a pitcher.

Most of you have probably seen this old article and video:

https://www.topvelocity.net/why-chris-sales...ten-his-career/

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)

What Mark Buehrle did, or did not do, to strengthen his core and lower body, does not diminish the value of such training. I think you would agree with that, wouldn't you? Kopech appears to take his training very seriously, and he should reap big benefits from it.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
I love seeing pitchers work their legs and core. Keep the arm loose, but get that lower half strong. Clemens and Juan Guzman come to mind.

Exactly. It's not about "getting jacked", it's about working the right muscles to improve your effectiveness at your craft. The video is a great example of that, he's strength training his core and legs, which he needs strong for his velocity, rather than his arms, which need to be more flexible.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
It works for some, others, not so much.

There does seem to be a hint in this thread that other Sox pitchers don't work out. They might not get as jacked as this guy, but I would bet every one of them has a pretty extensive offseason program they go through, Another post mentioned the uniforms make these guys look a little smaller, and I agree. I think I have mentioned I almost literally ran into Jake Petricka at Soxfest last year. He looks pretty lanky in uniform, but he's a very large man . I was stunned how big he was.

Yes they do. schneider has all of them on extensive programs. They just don't necessarily focus on bulk.

Hard to know what these guys are like in their private lives (er, though I guess we have some of Kopech a private life on camera), but from his media interviews and stories about Kopech going to other baseball games on off days to study the pitchers, he definitely seems committed to being best pitcher he can be.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
What Mark Buehrle did, or did not do, to strengthen his core and lower body, does not diminish the value of such training. I think you would agree with that, wouldn't you? Kopech appears to take his training very seriously, and he should reap big benefits from it.

The most important groups for pitcher, and really all athletes are the hips and lats to really create the dynamic stabilization of the spine to transfer the strength of the lower extremity to the trunk.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)

I agree that it's valuable. I just don't think you can question ones dedication simply by how swole they are.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
I agree that it's valuable. I just don't think you can question ones dedication simply by how swole they are.

Not quite sure how, or why, I'm engaging in such an "argument," but just to clarify, I never stated anything about how "swole" Kopech is. Frankly, this is the first time that I have ever even heard the term. Moreover, I'm not that impressed with Kopech's muscularity. What is impressive and apparent to me, is how hard he is training and how determined he is to become a star. I'd suggest that we wrap up this little discussion. If you agree, fine. If you disagree, feel free to argue all you want.

I don't see the point and am moving on.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
Not quite sure how, or why, I'm engaging in such an "argument," but just to clarify, I never stated anything about how "swole" Kopech is. Frankly, this is the first time that I have ever even heard the term. Moreover, I'm not that impressed with Kopech's muscularity. What is impressive and apparent to me, is how hard he is training and how determined he is to become a star. I'd suggest that we wrap up this little discussion. If you agree, fine. If you disagree, feel free to argue all you want.

I don't see the point and am moving on.

This is the key to it all you can't teach that kind of motivation.

• 1 month later...