Alex Reyes fails physical, might need surgery

GGajewski18

Apparently Cardinals RHP Alex Reyes didn't pass his physical for ST and will not report to camp yet. Don't know what is wrong with him.

If he is out, possible Q to Cardinals? Also, just creating discussion to think of different packages from a different team finally.

I think I'd do Weaver, Bader, Kelly, and Perez for Q

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
Apparently Cardinals RHP Alex Reyes didn't pass his physical for ST and will not report to camp yet. Don't know what is wrong with him.

If he is out, possible Q to Cardinals? Also, just creating discussion to think of different packages from a different team finally.

I think I'd do Weaver, Bader, Kelly, and Perez for Q

Would marijuana impact his physical at all? I know he's had problems with that in the past.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
MLB retweeted

Jenifer Langosch @LangoschMLB

1m

#STLCards have not specified what the area of concern is with Reyes, but Matheny did say: "There must be a significant reason to do this."

Wow, that would be a major blow to the Cardinals if he has to miss an extended period of time. They were counting on him to be rotation ready in 2017

My gut reaction is to root against hte cardinals, but news like this sucks no matter the team. I'm hoping it's precaution over a physical issue that's minor, but be it if it's a significant injury, just sucks to see players hit issues like this right before they are about to make it.

edit: clarified after more info came out indicating this is likely due to physical issue.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
MLB Pipeline retweeted

2m

Alex Reyes had an MRI on his pitching arm today. #STLCards do not yet know the results.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
MLB retweeted

1m

#STLCards have not specified what the area of concern is with Reyes, but Matheny did say: "There must be a significant reason to do this."

Yuck. How awful for the kid.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
Apparently Reyes could be out for the year, so St. Louis might jump back into the Q sweepstakes after all.

Theoretically could make Reyes available in a trade too. He is easily the most interesting piece in the Cardinals system. It's risky, but ceilings don't get much higher.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
Theoretically could make Reyes available in a trade too. He is easily the most interesting piece in the Cardinals system. It's risky, but ceilings don't get much higher.

Obviously it depends on what the injury is, but if anyone knows how to rehab and subsequently keep pitchers healthy, it's the Sox.

Who knows. The MRI results will be very important.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)

Making a trade including a guy who is hurt and hasn't even had his surgery yet seems WAY too risky for me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
Don't see Cards as a match at all. Outside of Reyes, they have no top 50 guys. Also can't see them unloading farm after losing their picks

Reyes getting injured is not likely to result in St Louis deciding to pursue a major trade like Quintana

Also, I think the Sox are interested solely in elite prospects in exchange for Quintana, and beyond Reyes their system does not currently have any

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
Reyes getting injured is not likely to result in St Louis deciding to pursue a major trade like Quintana

Also, I think the Sox are interested solely in elite prospects in exchange for Quintana, and beyond Reyes their system does not currently have any

I agree with this. They will likely just sign best available starter remaining (de la Rosa?) and plug him into the 5th spot.

I'm not so convinced that the Cardinals won't pursue Q. They've got arguably the top C prospect in baseball, plus Weaver and Perez. Kelly is close to Tucker in prospect status on a lot of lists. Magnerius Sierra, Bader, Sosa are also interesting.

Even if they can't pull off a deal, them being involved could spur the Astros/Pirates/Braves to up their offers - ala the Nationals on Sale.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

There is significant concern inside the Cardinals' organization that Alex Reyes, their star pitching prospect, needs Tommy John surgery.

More speculation coming now, we shall see how the Cards react.

With that organization, it almost seems like a requirement to have to miss a year due to Tommy John.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
If I were Cards I'd probably pull back rather than go for it. Maybe start dialogue around a Miguel Gonzalez or something.

Agreed, makes more sense to re-evaluate at this point. Plus they have Wacha who was going to battle Reyes for this 5th spot in ST. They have 6 guys off the top of my head currently. Sign a cheap FA (not sure who is left) and see what you have in a couple of months.

Martinez

Waino

Leake

Lynn

Wacha

Weaver

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)

If he was traded...wouldn't he have to pass a physical!?

Reyes is a stud. I feel bad for the guy and certainly hope for the best.