2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
Many of you act mature and above the crosstown s***flinging, but I dont. This may be one of those years that comes around so rarely where I root more against the Cubs than I do for the Sox. Let the hate flow through you.

Don't stress yourself out during the regular season. A ton would have to go wrong for them not to make the postseason.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
LMAO fathom. you of all people, posting this here

Oh yay, this again :)

They'll easily win 90 games during the regular season, so there's no reason to get nervous about whether or not they'll make the playoffs. It would be nice to see the Mets make the postseason again and see if their stud pitching is the Cubs kryptonite.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
Oh yay, this again :)

They'll easily win 90 games during the regular season, so there's no reason to get nervous about whether or not they'll make the playoffs. It would be nice to see the Mets make the postseason again and see if their stud pitching is the Cubs kryptonite.

I agree with Fathom. With 40% of the NL not even trying, the Cubs will make the playoffs easily.

They would have to multiple injuries to not make the playoffs.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 06:08 PM)
I agree with Fathom. With 40% of the NL not even trying, the Cubs will make the playoffs easily.

They would have to multiple injuries to not make the playoffs.

The Cubs have players on their bench/bullpen that would be better than a large majority of the players starting on the Reds/Brewers this year. Those teams won't combine for 100 wins.

fathom, we are in for a long year watching the Cubs euphoria grow. I am going to stay away from it as much as I can because the more I see it or hear about it the more annoyed I am going to get. If I turn of the tv/radio station when someone starts drooling over them it wont bother me as much as a whole.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 07:42 PM)
fathom, we are in for a long year watching the Cubs euphoria grow. I am going to stay away from it as much as I can because the more I see it or hear about it the more annoyed I am going to get. If I turn of the tv/radio station when someone starts drooling over them it wont bother me as much as a whole.

It's expected this year...last year kind of came out of nowhere. I'm just rooting for sophomore slumps and Arrieta coming back to earth.

I will say this...with all the talk by Arrieta at the end of last season and so far in ST about how he ran out of gas, it's amazing to me that there hasn't been one comment by the Chicago media about how Maddon abused him during the regular season last year and could have cost them big time in the postseason. At time towards the end of last year, it seemed Maddon was too concerned about trying to win Arrieta the Cy Young instead of getting him ready for the postseason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
It's expected this year...last year kind of came out of nowhere. I'm just rooting for sophomore slumps and Arrieta coming back to earth.

Arrieta will definitely come back to earth and their pitching as a whole may not be quite what they expect. I really dont anticipate to many of those guys having a sophomore slump but maybe one of them will. But they do have Heyward to make up for that.

They still have to play the games and we have no idea how they will collectively react mentally to being the front runners. That can wear on a team and effect the chemistry.

Arrieta comes back down to Earth.

Schwarber has a sophomore slump after his downward trend last year.

Heyward's defensive value gets negated by bad and worse flanking him in the OF.

Lackey gets old.

Zobrist's legs give out.

Bryant still Ks a lot.

Russell keeps the glove, bat doesn't develop.

Lester can't pick anyone off.

It all gets blamed on a goat.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
I will say this...with all the talk by Arrieta at the end of last season and so far in ST about how he ran out of gas, it's amazing to me that there hasn't been one comment by the Chicago media about how Maddon abused him during the regular season last year and could have cost them big time in the postseason. At time towards the end of last year, it seemed Maddon was too concerned about trying to win Arrieta the Cy Young instead of getting him ready for the postseason.

They finished what, 1 game back of the Pirates for home advantage in the Wild Card and 3 games back in the division? That was a race until the last couple days.

Imagine hypothetically the Cardinals hit a wall the last week and only get to 97 wins. Suddenly the Cubs have a shot at home field against the Mets. Maybe it doesn't change David Murphy turning into Mike Trout, but that coulda been a different series right there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
They finished what, 1 game back of the Pirates for home advantage in the Wild Card and 3 games back in the division? That was a race until the last couple days.

Imagine hypothetically the Cardinals hit a wall the last week and only get to 97 wins. Suddenly the Cubs have a shot at home field against the Mets. Maybe it doesn't change David Murphy turning into Mike Trout, but that coulda been a different series right there.

That series was one of the all-time beatings. If it coulda been different, so could nearly every series ever played.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 08:14 PM)

There were quite a few games where they had Arrieta go 8 or 9 innings when they were up by a handful of runs against mediocre teams.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Arrieta comes back down to Earth.

Schwarber has a sophomore slump after his downward trend last year.

Heyward's defensive value gets negated by bad and worse flanking him in the OF.

Lackey gets old.

Zobrist's legs give out.

Bryant still Ks a lot.

Russell keeps the glove, bat doesn't develop.

Lester can't pick anyone off.

It all gets blamed on a goat.

God if we were this honest about the White Sox, people would stop crying in their beer when the good guys are out of it in July.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
God if we were this honest about the White Sox, people would stop crying in their beer when the good guys are out of it in July.

You are reading a completely different page than I am. I feel like most of the White Sox talk here is bending over backwards to construct the worst case scenarios, even when there is light.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)

You want to be depressed about the White Sox, go get BP. The PECOTAs look OK, but every write up of a position player except for Eaton, is brutal. Even Abreu the writer seems to think is in line for a total collapse. LaRoche, the guy they said wouldn't ever fall of a cliff last year, apparently fell off a cliff. He's done according to the writer. Melky, done. Avila, his dad doesn't even want him, done. Huge mistake dumping Flowers. Saladino, no good. They even said Sanchez wasn't a good defensive 2B. They did like Frazier, so I guess there were 2 they liked, and were pretty neutral on Lawrie. Go by the write ups, they are a 95 loss team. Go by the PECOTAS, definitely have a shot at the playoffs. BP was very weird this year. The team write up was all about trying to find a replacement for Ray Durham. Very strange.