Keith Law

Jose Abreu

I know it's often debated whether or not Keith Law actually has a bias against the White Sox. However, today, he tweeted this:

keithlaw‏Verified account

@keithlaw

Just sent out the latest edition of my email newsletter, titled "Here's why I hate the White Sox." Sign up at http://tinyletter.com/keithlaw

------------------------------

And he and Chuck Garfein got into it starting around the 8:30 mark here. Law got quite angry.

I just find the whole situation interesting.

Edited by Jose Abreu

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know he's kidding, right? He's been getting tweets from Sox fans all day asking why he hates the Sox because they read his write-up on Robert whom he's been less than impressed with since this whole thing started.

The only national writer I've ever thought really had an anti-Sox lean was Dayn Perry though I can't remember the specifics so it may have just been youthful naivete.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)
You do know he's kidding, right? He's been getting tweets from Sox fans all day asking why he hates the Sox because they read his write-up on Robert whom he's been less than impressed with since this whole thing started.

The only national writer I've ever thought really had an anti-Sox lean was Dayn Perry though I can't remember the specifics so it may have just been youthful naivete.

This may have been a joke / clickbait but he has a very long track record of openly disparaging anything concerning the organization.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:40 PM)
This may have been a joke / clickbait but he has a very long track record of openly disparaging anything concerning the organization.

He did in the old days when Williams was running the operation; he's been favorably disposed to Hahn, overall.

I will say, I thought his analysis of Robert was a little macro; too much "cuban players in general" stuff in his ESPN review of the signing, the type of analysis he normally eschews (for good reason).

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:40 PM)

His Luis Robert scouting report has jack-all to do with the White Sox, same with Chris Sale, he's a hard-headed, highly opinionated ex-scout with a large platform.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)

It's still unprofessional to even jokingly write something that would destroy a lot of your credibility.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:47 PM)
His Luis Robert scouting report has jack-all to do with the White Sox, same with Chris Sale, he's a hard-headed, highly opinionated ex-scout with a large platform.

Bingo. As fathom said in another thread, he wasn't a fan of Robert months ago.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)

It didn't sound like he was joking. He sounded angry at a perceived slight to his sources or that he was gullible to believe lies from his sources.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:51 PM)
The timeline is typically bastardized in these situations. Confirmation bias has a strong pull.

I never mentioned Luis Robert, I know Law doesn't like him (although he hasn't seen him play) for whatever reason. I was referring to the podcast and tweet from today.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 23, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
It didn't sound like he was joking. He sounded angry at a perceived slight to his sources or that he was gullible to believe lies from his sources.

I think you are confusing two things here...the joke about the title "Why I hate the White Sox," and the discussion in the podcast.

That being said, he comes off as a major DB in the podcast.

I'd bet a lot of money that the "general consensus" of the scouting community isn't that he would be a mid-1st round talent.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
I never mentioned Luis Robert, I know Law doesn't like him (although he hasn't seen him play) for whatever reason. I was referring to the podcast and tweet from today.

It's important to note that you substantially edited the opening post to this thread.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2017 -> 06:07 PM)
It's important to note that you substantially edited the opening post to this thread.

Can mods/admins check edit history? I hope they can, because I never once mentioned Luis Robert. I edited the link to the podcast and took out an unnecessary period, if you must know.

Badler never said that, either.

He said the White Sox would pick him first, others might disagree...and that his bat was just as if not more advanced than all the high schoolers in the draft (obviously older by one year and a ton of intl competition).

He didn't say 11 draft experts would take Hunter Greene and 4 LUIS Robert, etc.

Or that the White Sox have made the right call 2/3 times with Cuban signings (Ramirez, Abreu, Viciedo...I suppose you could argue they wanted to sign intl guys like Soler and Fukudome, which would have turned out poorly.)

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:59 PM)
I think you are confusing two things here...the joke about the title "Why I hate the White Sox," and the discussion in the podcast.

That being said, he comes off as a major DB in the podcast.

I'd bet a lot of money that the "general consensus" of the scouting community isn't that he would be a mid-1st round talent.

You're right. I was referring to just the interview portion.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:32 PM)
I know it's often debated whether or not Keith Law actually has a bias against the White Sox. However, today, he tweeted this:

keithlaw‏Verified account

@keithlaw

Just sent out the latest edition of my email newsletter, titled "Here's why I hate the White Sox." Sign up at http://tinyletter.com/keithlaw

------------------------------

And he and Chuck Garfein got into it starting around the 8:30 mark here. Law got quite angry.

I just find the whole situation interesting.

Yeah when I was listening he got on the defensive RRREEEEEAAALLLL quick, but overall, I may not agree with anything/everything he writes but it is nice to see opinions from both sides of the spectrum regarding Robert.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 23, 2017 -> 06:09 PM)
Can mods/admins check edit history? I hope they can, because I never once mentioned Luis Robert. I edited the link to the podcast and took out an unnecessary period, if you must know.

Ha, no we can't but I'm now certain I'm just a moron who missed the podcast link because it blended into the tweet, my apologies. I was only referring to the tweet.

FYI to anyone looking to embed a tweet, you can grab the "embed tweet" code from twitter then when posting on here change "post options" half way down the reply screen to "HTML On - Raw/Auto Linebreak Mode"

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2017 -> 06:18 PM)
Ha, no we can't but I'm now certain I'm just a moron who missed the podcast link because it blended into the tweet, my apologies. I was only referring to the tweet.

FYI to anyone looking to embed a tweet, you can grab the "embed tweet" code from twitter then when posting on here change "post options" half way down the reply screen to "HTML On - Raw/Auto Linebreak Mode"

No problem, and sorry for getting defensive, I was just confused because I was sure I had never mentioned Robert. Thanks for that tip, I'll be sure to use it.

I thought Garfien's question was in poor taste, but Law really went off on him for it, and was kind of a dick for the rest of the interview. I like hearing his opinion and his writing is interesting but man he is a prick sometimes.

I tried to take the high road with him and stand up for Chuck. He really just is a jerk.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

He quickly blocked me after telling me "it'll be a cold day in hell before i take advice on professionalism from some coward tweeting from behind a pseudonym"

Edited by rowand's rowdies