Sleeper prospects

danman31

I figured it would be cool to see who everyone's sleeper is. For argument's sake let's call a sleeper someone who does far better than expectations. Sure you can take Nestor Molina, but short of him having a strong stint with the big league club it would be pretty hard to call him a sleeper. Hopefully people stick to off the radar or comeback guys instead of picking good prospects to continue to do well.

Anyway, my pick is Brandon Parrent. He's a 6-3 lefty that the Sox signed for overslot late in the draft and joined Great Falls late due to Texas A&M making a postseason run last summer. I'm not really all that confident in the pick, but I didn't want to pick a known entity so I'm going big.

I think Trayce Thompson blows up in Winston-Salem's ballpark, but he's a top 5 prospect. I like Andy Wilkins based on a strong finish to last year and even home/away splits at W-S, but I think he takes a little while to adjust to Birmingham's big ballpark.

Who ya got?

Jefferson Olacio, we need one of our homegrown Latin prospects to turn out, sooner or later.

Plus, he's a lefty.

Jeff Soptic, could be another Nathan Jones.

Although both of those guys are already on the radar to an extent.

Feeling much more confident about Mitchell and Thompson than K. Walker at this point. Although there are grave doubts whether Mitchell can ever be a solution at leadoff hitter. Would like to see progress with walks/OBP, stealing bases and obviously cutting down the K ratio.

Josh Phegley, maybe, as the darkhose candidate to win the catching position next year over Flowers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 01:28 AM)
Jeff Soptic, could be another Nathan Jones.

Although both of those guys are already on the radar to an extent.

Feeling much more confident about Mitchell and Thompson than K. Walker at this point. Although there are grave doubts whether Mitchell can ever be a solution at leadoff hitter. Would like to see progress with walks/OBP, stealing bases and obviously cutting down the K ratio.

Is Nate Jones really something to aspire to? Just because the Sox gave him a roster spot doesn't mean he still isn't a mediocre pitcher.

I have a hard time seeing Keenyn Walker doing anything, but the only one of the three that I think has any future is Thompson.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 02:22 AM)
Is Nate Jones really something to aspire to? Just because the Sox gave him a roster spot doesn't mean he still isn't a mediocre pitcher.

I have a hard time seeing Keenyn Walker doing anything, but the only one of the three that I think has any future is Thompson.

I just hope Thompson can make it. For some reason, physically, he reminds me of Alex Rios.

Such a large base when he's hitting. And as he fills out, he might have to move to one of the corner spots. If he can play a legit CF at the big league level, then we really have something along the lines of what Alex Rios was SUPPOSED to do for us, maybe upper 20's in homers, upside low 30's. Heck, anything above 20 would be great, right?

From watching Mitchell all throughout ST, I think he has turned a corner in his recovery and he's now starting to trust his God-given athletic instincts again instead of playing a bit tentatively and feeling his way through the game.

As far as Jones goes, we'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe he's nothing more than Adam Russell or Aaron Poreda or whoever, but we do now have 9 homegrown players on our major league roster, probably the most we've ever had during the KW era.

Edited by caulfield12

Carlos Sanchez, especially if he can play a solid 2B. He doesn't turn 20 until June yet he's already displayed a high a walk-rate for a Latin prospect. He may not have a ton of speed, but I like that he's a switch hitter. I think he has the tools to become a very good #2 hitter down the road for us.

A few names I think will do a lot better than people expect this year...

Pedro Hernandez

Chris Bassitt

Rangel Ravelo

Also, a couple guys I was surprised got put in B-Ham (and I saw someone else post this too): Remenowsky (AAP) and Brandon Kloess. I would have figured both of them for Charlotte, and quite frankly there are a bunch of guys in the Charlotte pen that I think are just taking up space. So I'd say both of those guys might end up being among the first promotions in the minors this year.

And finally, not sure if he's really a sleeper per se, but I like Tyler Kuhn a lot, and wouldn't be surprised if he sees the big club at some point this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
I would love to see Kenny Jr. have a big year. Repeating a level and being a 5th round pick it would be nice to see him take a step forward and offer us another legitimate OF prospect.

Problem: He is a 20th round pick who got picked in the 5th. So...

Anyone know whatever happened to a 1st base draftee we had a few years ago by the name of Dan Black (I think).

I seem to remember that he had some pretty good power. If he's still around I'll take him for a sleeper prospect, if for no other reason than that he was from Purdue if I remember correctly.

Sorry, if you think that I suffer from CRS you would be correct. :huh

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Anyone know whatever happened to a 1st base draftee we had a few years ago by the name of Dan Black (I think).

I seem to remember that he had some pretty good power. If he's still around I'll take him for a sleeper prospect, if for no other reason than that he was from Purdue if I remember correctly.

Dan Black is with Winston-Salem. Had a nice year for Kanny last year (18 HR). I think he's pretty likely to put up good numbers in a small park this year.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
Dan Black is with Winston-Salem. Had a nice year for Kanny last year (18 HR). I think he's pretty likely to put up good numbers in a small park this year.

Thank you for the info. Is he really considered much of a prospect?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Thank you for the info. Is he really considered much of a prospect?

He's 24 so no, but he is probably good enough to play 4-5 more years in the minors bouncing around AA if he wants.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
I would love to see Kenny Jr. have a big year. Repeating a level and being a 5th round pick it would be nice to see him take a step forward and offer us another legitimate OF prospect.

:lolhitting

• 3 years later...

Since Chilhead seems to be in call-out mode, I'll point these out...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 11:55 PM)
Spencer Arroyo, and my AAP Andy Wilkins.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
Really interested to see how Brady Shoemake does too.

And in fairness, mine...

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
A few names I think will do a lot better than people expect this year...

Pedro Hernandez

Chris Bassitt

Rangel Ravelo

Also, a couple guys I was surprised got put in B-Ham (and I saw someone else post this too): Remenowsky (AAP) and Brandon Kloess. I would have figured both of them for Charlotte, and quite frankly there are a bunch of guys in the Charlotte pen that I think are just taking up space. So I'd say both of those guys might end up being among the first promotions in the minors this year.

And finally, not sure if he's really a sleeper per se, but I like Tyler Kuhn a lot, and wouldn't be surprised if he sees the big club at some point this year.

I was wrong on Remenowsky and Kloess. Kuhn too. But Hernandez ended up a major leaguer, as did Bassitt, and Ravelo was tracking quite well and became a higher end prospect before injuries this year.