Kw On Air At 10:20 a.m Espn 1000

spataro51

For those that are interested Kw is going to be on espn 1000 at 10:20 am this mornig. Little weird to me as to why he wouldn't come on whitesox weekly on the score......but what ever i will take what we can get. I am very interested to hear what he will have to say.......I think this will be his first radio interview since that media boycoott correct?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
Linebrink was the "one guy?"

Get the net

Iwould agree. The bullpen was the greatest weakness they had. I don't think there were any better set up men in free agency. We weren't going to get a closer to come here to be the 8th inning guy.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 10:34 AM)
Wow, 18 minutes of lay up questions. Yawn.

There was a comment early on how a radio station went after him and he wont go on that one. I wonder if that is the flagship. How much the sox must regret going on a station that has Mike North on it. That asshat stirs up crap like Kotex boy.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
A set up guy is assuming you will be winning late in games. Those funds would have been better spent on improving performance before the 8th inning

Such as... What would your plan be? It's easy to attack in a vacuum and say "this guy can't help us"

Trade for hitting? Trade for starting pitching? Trading for defense?

I think that the relief was the greatest weakness and would be the area I would go first.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
Such as... What would your plan be? It's easy to attack in a vacuum and say "this guy can't help us"

I think that the relief was the greatest weakness and would be the area I would go first.

I think he was hinting by before the 8th inning he meant a long reliever.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
Did he say anything about Alexei Ramírez?

He couldnt say anything due to fact that the transaction isnt complete yet with MLB. But he mentioned specifically that the player in question can play CF and SS and they did their homework on him.

Yeah I have to agree about 670 "The Score" lacking class, especially "Boers and The Bernstein Bear," those guys are a couple of whiny wimps.

I heard the whole KW interview on the radio and he didn't say anything surprising at all. I personally am pretty disappointed in the offseason so far, especially after KW repeatedly promised to drastically fix this team because of their sorry season in 07. Apparently drastic changes means signing Scott Linebrink, trading our best pitcher over the past 3 years, and replacing Andy Gonzalez with a couple other BUSTS!

Unfortunately we will have to wait and see how this team performs in Spring Training before we can confidently SLAM KW for trying to be Mr. Slick/Cheap when assembling a team, and ending up with a bunch of baggage that nobody else in MLB wanted.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)

There's no question he had to do something. Funny thing is a lot of the same people that said you don't pay that kind of money for a middle reliever, cough Justin Speier, cough, like this move. It may not work out in the long haul, but it had to be done. I still think the bullpen needs more than just Linebrink.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
There's no question he had to do something. Funny thing is a lot of the same people that said you don't pay that kind of money for a middle reliever, cough Justin Speier, cough, like this move. It may not work out in the long haul, but it had to be done. I still think the bullpen needs more than just Linebrink.

I think everyone including [Ozzie and KW] knows the bullpen needs more help. It'll be interesting to see how they add another Linebrink type 8th inning guy as free agency is toast. Crede alone won't get it done.

This of season leaves me convinced that the Sox are a cheap organization and Reinsdorf makes it appear he will spends money to assemble, or keep together a winning ballclub. He sucks up too much to Selig and seesm to worship the Yankmees ownership. The Sox deevlop players in their own organization only to turn around and let them go rather than sign them when they are the point to start making money. We have develped some real special players only to see them go by bye. Not to mention the fact our ownereship boycots certain agents.

They claim to be not cheap-and if we believe Hunter and Fukodome they were willing to pay heavily. Cant blame the organization for that, as much as I think Williams is a below avg GM. Yet the free agents chose not to come here. Is there an image problem playing here? Do players not want to play for guillen? Is that why we have so many Latin players? Somethings up.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)
There was a comment early on how a radio station went after him and he wont go on that one. I wonder if that is the flagship. How much the sox must regret going on a station that has Mike North on it. That asshat stirs up crap like Kotex boy.

I realize the radio staion is not the topic of this conversation but since you brought it up I will tend to disagree. First of all, the score has more power and reach to more people than ESPN1000 could ever dream having. That in itself helps more people listen to games. As far as the personalities, I am not a huge fan of all them but please tell me how Mike North does anything different with his comments than what is on this board. KW sucked this year, HE failed miserably, and that is what Mike North says. You can disagree, and think KW did well, but for the most part, he got schooled. This puts pressure on the whitesox and KW. Quite frankly KW 's game is losing its luster and at least there are a few people who are stating that fact. Sometimes I think whitesox fans don't live in reality. We b**** and moan to each other and on this board, but if someone else says anything bad, we get upset. Its lame.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
I realize the radio staion is not the topic of this conversation but since you brought it up I will tend to disagree. First of all, the score has more power and reach to more people than ESPN1000 could ever dream having. That in itself helps more people listen to games. As far as the personalities, I am not a huge fan of all them but please tell me how Mike North does anything different with his comments than what is on this board. KW sucked this year, HE failed miserably, and that is what Mike North says. You can disagree, and think KW did well, but for the most part, he got schooled. This puts pressure on the whitesox and KW. Quite frankly KW 's game is losing its luster and at least there are a few people who are stating that fact. Sometimes I think whitesox fans don't live in reality. We b**** and moan to each other and on this board, but if someone else says anything bad, we get upset. Its lame.

I would say it's the opposite on this board. Looking at the posts, at least 80% of the people here believe KW is an awful GM and should be fired. I think I am one of the few that thinks a GM with an above .500 record and a world series win under his belt deserves a chance. Very few current GMs can match this. I don't micromanage. I don't dissect each move in a vacuum. I look at results, so far his overall results have been good. Now if he has another disasterous season........

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
I would say it's the opposite on this board. Looking at the posts, at least 80% of the people here believe KW is an awful GM and should be fired. I think I am one of the few that thinks a GM with an above .500 record and a world series win under his belt deserves a chance. Very few current GMs can match this. I don't micromanage. I don't dissect each move in a vacuum. I look at results, so far his overall results have been good. Now if he has another disasterous season........

Ron Schueler's teams were 78 games over .500 in 10 years with the White Sox. If there was no strike in 1994, chances are they would have played out the string that year better than .500 which means that 78 is low. KW's teams are 54 games over .500 in 7 seasons as GM. Schueler's teams made the postseason twice, and perhaps would have made it 3 times if not for a strike. KW's teams have made it once. KW does have the only title, but really its a GMs job to get the team to be good enough over the 6 month season and hope they get the breaks in the playoffs ie you could hardly call Walt Jocketty Executive of the Year in 2006 for putting together a team that won 83 games made the playoffs and won the WS.

What I'm getting at is Schueler's record as a GM as far as results and condition of the organization is just as good as KW's. Schueler quit because he wanted to be a scout. JR did proclaim Schueler was the White Sox GM as long as he wanted to be the White Sox GM. JR has a lot of influence around baseball. Schueler has tried but cannot get another GM job.

SS2K5 has a quote about the "defeatist attitude" in his signature. Its a quote from KW. Saying a year is successful because the White Sox finish 8 games above .500 and come in second or third is exactly what even he is talking about. There really is no reason the White Sox should not have dominated the Central Division the past 6 or 7 years. NONE. They had as many or more resources as any team in their division. Cleveland and Detroit and if you think about it even Minnesota went through almost total rebuilds. KC is KC but 1 playoff appearance in 7 years for KW. Its really not that impressive, and if someday he decides to quit his current job, I think he'll probably have the same results as Schueler if a year or so later, he wants back in.

KW is a blowhard and some still buy his act. He still talks down to everyone like he has all the answers. Last week he went to the " if we did what the public wanted" routine again. He needs to look in the mirror. He has a team that lost 90 games. Still drew one of the highest attendance figures in team history, and he only has $.50. Looks like the fans weren't the only ones wrong about where to throw money.

Edited by Dick Allen