GT 4/13/12 - SOX vs. Tigers - 1:10p CDT - CSN

knightni

:bringit :gosox1:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...ew&c_id=cws

Tigers (5-1) vs. White Sox (3-2)

Peavy set for home opener vs. Tigers

By Evan Drellich / MLB.com | 4/11/2012 4:46 PM ET

Jake Peavy's task in the White Sox home opener on Friday at 1:10 p.m. CT is to keep in check a Tigers team that, until Wednesday, had not lost.

"I'm excited to throw the home opener," the veteran right-hander said. "To be in front of our fans against a Detroit team -- who knows -- coming in, might not even have a loss yet."

The Tigers were finally stopped Wednesday, when the Rays scored four runs in the ninth to win, 4-2. Still, Detroit (4-1), widely viewed as the class of the American League Central, brings in a potent lineup. In his career, Peavy is 2-2 with a 3.77 ERA in five starts against the Tigers.

"The challenge is always fun versus a team like that," said Peavy, whose White Sox are 3-2 after a 10-6 win over Cleveland on Wednesday. "I promise you this: that Detroit team is outstanding, but I got a pretty good handle on facing a good team there in Texas [in my first start of the season]. That lineup is outstanding as well. It's good to get your feet wet. It's good to get in a big-time atmosphere and worry about honing in on your focus and making pitches."

The White Sox have an off-day on Thursday, while the Tigers finish up a three-game series with the Rays in Detroit. Right-hander Max Scherzer gets the start for Detroit on Friday. Scherzer let up just four runs in 29 innings against Chicago last season, but also lost to the White Sox twice.

Scherzer's been battling illness, but he still plans to make his start.

"I am going to pitch Friday," Scherzer said Wednesday morning. "Being sick doesn't get you injured. If something could hurt my arm, I would be smart about it. But I didn't work hard all my life to get here and then miss a start because I was sick."

Scherzer was hit hard by the Red Sox on Sunday in his first start, lasting 2 2/3 innings and allowing seven runs. Peavy gave up three runs in six innings to the Rangers on Saturday in his first outing.

"It will be a lot of excitement, but the bottom line is channeling that energy and adrenalin you have in the right direction -- making pitches," Peavy said. "[Try] not getting caught up in anything. You worry about throwing down and away to Miguel Cabrera and [Prince] Fielder and these guys, and keeping Austin Jackson off base before they hit."

Tigers: Jackson off to hot start

• Jackson went 1-for-4 on Wednesday, with a run scored and a strikeout. He's 10-for-20 to start the season.

"He's seeing the ball real good right now, and he's putting a good swing on it," manager Jim Leyland said. "That's what he's doing. There's not a lot of rocket science to it. If you chase bad balls and you swing at bad balls outside the strike zone, you miss them. He's battling his tail off and he's fouling off some tough pitches, and then when they make a mistake, he's hit it. He's been fantastic."

• Brandon Inge (left hamstring) is expected to start at second base for the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens again on Thursday, at home against Louisville.

White Sox: Flowers has long layoff

Tuesday's postponement kept backup catcher Tyler Flowers out of his second start, and he's doing what he can to be ready whenever called on. Manager Robin Ventura likes to use bench players perhaps more than most managers.

"Where I'm at, I have a pretty good chance if it does continue to be a week at a time, and I don't think it will be," Flowers said. "If it does happen to be, I feel like I'm in a good spot. ... [Hitting coach Jeff] Manto is really working with me on some stuff, keeping it as simple as we can to have a fighting chance in the box. I feel really good where I'm at."

Worth noting

Paul Konerko's first-inning double off Justin Masterson on Wednesday gave him 3,529 career total bases, moving him past Luke Appling for sole possession of second most in White Sox history.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Wow tickets exploded in price on stubhub. A couple of weeks ago the cheap seats were in the $30 range. Now they are $70. Has the start changed people's minds that much?

I think you might be on to something. The weather is supposed to be crappy tomorrow though so I expect those prices to drop. I'd be out there myself if I knew it wasn't going to rain.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)
I think you might be on to something. The weather is supposed to be crappy tomorrow though so I expect those prices to drop. I'd be out there myself if I knew it wasn't going to rain.

I had been hoping for a last second bargain versus the list price. Boy was I wrong. Maybe one of the weekend games instead, which are still supercheap.

It would have been nice if they would have made up the missed Tuesday game today since both teams are off.

Cleveland will sell more tickets to a game scheduled several weeks in advance for June-August than for a game scheduled one day in advance in April.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)

At least right now, I am seeing a predicted high of 64 degrees, with possible showers in the evening - after the game is over. Sounds like great weather by Opening Day standards to me.

And I'll be there!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 06:17 AM)
Wow tickets exploded in price on stubhub. A couple of weeks ago the cheap seats were in the $30 range. Now they are $70. Has the start changed people's minds that much?

It's still the home opener. SRO is the only thing left. Better luck on the remaining games.

For those curious, Skilling's latest forecast for the day...

Friday

HIGH/LOW

64°/53°

Sox home opener occurs amid milder temperatures, strengthening south winds.

Morning sunshine gives way to increasing afternoon cloudiness. Chance of a few sprinkles or a brief shower or two later in the afternoon affecting only 20 to 30 percent of the metro area. 1:10pm Sox game time weather-Temp: 62-degrees; Wind: South 17 mph; Skies: Partly cloudy. Scattered thunderstorms affecting 40 percent of the metro area arrive later Friday night.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)
Buster Olney ‏ @Buster_ESPN

ELIAS: Yankees have best record in home openers since 2000, at 11-1. White Sox have 2nd-best record, 10-2. Both open at home today.

I like those numbers. Let's make it 11-2! Go Sox!