Did Adam Dunn ruin baseball?

southsider2k5

And it ended up barely being about Dunn at all.

It was a really good article. So many times when I'm watching a game at home, I find my attention wandering to my tablet or whatever until I hear contact or strike 3. This encouraged me to better appreciate the back-and-forth battle at home plate as it's happening.

He was so bad in my eyes, yes, more often that not, he ruined the game. He did connect for a few big homers and for that I give him credit. But he was simply a horrible hitter and I applaud the writer for pointing out what he brought to the park.

Edited by greg775

Dunn may have had some poor seasons with the sox, but he remains one of my favorite white sox players. He is up there with Thome when it comes to clubhouse guys. I hope the sox offer him a position within the organization in the future. Doubt he will take it, but I'm hoping for it.

From B-R: Career to date (may be incomplete) $112,695,000

I'd say baseball did him just fine.

OK, but in my alternate universe, Adam Dunn is a more than adequate backup QB for New England in 1999 and Tom Brady ends up never getting drafted and you can't put a price on that.

I think the article hit on why so many sox fans were upset with his play: you just never got the feeling he was doing everything he could in an AB to help the team. His swing looked the same no matter the count and no matter the situation, HR or bust. Dude, just put the f***ing ball in play and put the pressure on the defense, anything can happen.

It's not his fault though or any of these 3 outcome guys' faults. It's a product of growing up in the steroid era or playing right after it...where everybody was jacking taters, where if you didn't have power you had a much harder time sticking. Matt Davidson is a perfect example of a kid growing up watching jacks and not learning how to be a dangerous hitter. These guys think jacks make you dangerous.

This might take decades to correct since the mangers and coaches are all going to be guys from the juiced era.

Guys that can hit with 2 strikes are going to be kings and I hope we stock up on these rarities. Eaton rules.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 11:29 PM)
I think the article hit on why so many sox fans were upset with his play: you just never got the feeling he was doing everything he could in an AB to help the team. His swing looked the same no matter the count and no matter the situation, HR or bust. Dude, just put the f***ing ball in play and put the pressure on the defense, anything can happen.

It's not his fault though or any of these 3 outcome guys' faults. It's a product of growing up in the steroid era or playing right after it...where everybody was jacking taters, where if you didn't have power you had a much harder time sticking. Matt Davidson is a perfect example of a kid growing up watching jacks and not learning how to be a dangerous hitter. These guys think jacks make you dangerous.

This might take decades to correct since the mangers and coaches are all going to be guys from the juiced era.

Guys that can hit with 2 strikes are going to be kings and I hope we stock up on these rarities. Eaton rules.

Not necessarily...the "new/er" generation, guys like Hinch, Matheny, Ausmus, Banister (Rangers)...Scioscia and Maddon, they didn't feature that type of game as players, same with Yost.

They were defense first, offense as a welcome side benefit type of guys.

Karkovice and Joel Skinner with the White Sox are two more examples.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...cle3113391.html

Did the royals reinvent a new paradigm shift....the anti-dunns?

That author does a real good job in explaining that no, they didn't reinvent a new shift and their model is unsustainable for the most part. I don't think that was his point though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
That author does a real good job in explaining that no, they didn't reinvent a new shift and their model is unsustainable for the most part. I don't think that was his point though.

You said this much more succinctly than I was able.

Maybe he didn't ruin baseball for other team's fans but as a Sox fan after 2011, I never felt confident this team would do anything with him on it. Never hits with guys in scoring position. I didn't care if he hit 40 homers the year before, when guys were on base it was almost certain they wouldn't score with him hitting.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Maybe he didn't ruin baseball for other team's fans but as a Sox fan after 2011, I never felt confident this team would do anything with him on it. Never hits with guys in scoring position. I didn't care if he hit 40 homers the year before, when guys were on base it was almost certain they wouldn't score with him hitting.

This can be said of virtually every player because even the best hit .350 with RISP which would mean 65% of the time, guys were not scoring. Dunn was a problem at times, but throughout his tenure with the Sox, there were always bigger fish to fry.

(OK, he was the biggest problem in 2011, but there were like a million problems with that team, so his s***ty season didn't kill the Sox, everyone's s***ty season killed the Sox)