Moises Sierra claimed by Royals

southsider2k5

Conor Gillaspie has no comment

From MLB trade rumors

Royals Claim Moises Sierra From White Sox

By Steve Adams [October 24, 2014 at 5:37pm CDT]

The Royals have claimed outfielder Moises Sierra off outright waivers from the White Sox, according to MLB.com’s Scott Merkin (Twitter link). Additionally, the Sox have outrighted outfielder Michael Taylor to Triple-A Charlotte.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
Apparently we don't need a right handed hitting backup OF as much as we need the roster spot.

I'm ok with that, but interesting.

Yeah, interesting this is some of the first news of the offseason. Does it hint that they plan to offer Viciedo a contract?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
Guess Moises isn't part of the core .

Makes sense for KC who already have Cain and Dyson to play CF. If they keep him around, a Dyson/Sierra platoon could be their plan with Aoki leaving in free agency.

Why expose Sierra while keeping Trayce Thompson and J Mitchell? Sierra did hit .276 for Sox. Don't get it, not that it's the most important transaction of the year or anything. Roster now at 37.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:02 PM)
Why expose Sierra while keeping Trayce Thompson and J Mitchell? Sierra did hit .276 for Sox. Don't get it, not that it's the most important transaction of the year or anything. Roster now at 37.

Sierra doesn't have any options left.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
The Royals don't value offense from their outfielders, so it makes sense they would claim him

Hanging on to Jordan Danks, it's appears that the Sox don't either.

I wonder what their plans are. I don't lament the loss of Sierra, as long as they aren't thinking Danks, which, as sentimental as this organization is, they may be.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
No he is not.

Uh, Jordan Danks is probably the best defensive OF in our entire system.... Don't let his overall defensive metrics fool you. For some reason he has been terrible in LF/RF in his career in the majors, but legendary in CF. In 2012, he only played 84 innings in CF, but of all majors leaguers who logged 80+ innings in CF, Danks had the best UZR/150 with Anthony Gose at 54.9. The next guy had 42.

This season he was 14th in UZR/150 with 16.4. Eaton was 34th, at -3.8.

Obviously Danks is only working with really small sample sizes, but while he was in our minor leagues, he annually was considered our best defensive OFer. The dude has crazy range and instincts in CF.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 12:32 AM)
Uh, Jordan Danks is probably the best defensive OF in our entire system.... Don't let his overall defensive metrics fool you. For some reason he has been terrible in LF/RF in his career in the majors, but legendary in CF. In 2012, he only played 84 innings in CF, but of all majors leaguers who logged 80+ innings in CF, Danks had the best UZR/150 with Anthony Gose at 54.9. The next guy had 42.

This season he was 14th in UZR/150 with 16.4. Eaton was 34th, at -3.8.

Obviously Danks is only working with really small sample sizes, but while he was in our minor leagues, he annually was considered our best defensive OFer. The dude has crazy range and instincts in CF.

It's a shame the bat never caught up to D2's glove. He'd have a couple GGs.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
Sierra doesn't have any options left.

I know; neither do Mitchell or Thompson. Hence my question. Why would they prefer losing Sierra to either Thompson or Mitchell? He's obviously a better hitter, probably a better fielder; is it Sierra's histrionics on the bench? I don't think the Royals would have claimed Thompson or Mitchell. Still don't get it.

While Sierra is such a small piece that we probably shouldn't draw any conclusions from letting him go, I can't help but think this means we plan on adding two starting-caliber OFs this offseason and going with a rotating DH. In that event, having a strong defensive-minded 5th OF that can play all three positions makes a lot of sense. I see the role being late-inning defensive replacement, pinch runner, occasional pinch hitter, and Adam Eaton fill-in when he inevitably gets hurt. Sierra simply doesn't fill that role as well Danks does.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
I know; neither do Mitchell or Thompson. Hence my question. Why would they prefer losing Sierra to either Thompson or Mitchell? He's obviously a better hitter, probably a better fielder; is it Sierra's histrionics on the bench? I don't think the Royals would have claimed Thompson or Mitchell. Still don't get it.

I'm almost 100% positive that Mitchell & Thompson have options left, so I'm not sure where you're getting your info from.

Regardless, Sierra was let go because they didn't think he had a good shot of making the 25 man roster and knew they would have lost him anyways. We can safely stash Mitchell & Thompson at AAA and technically have some OF "depth". Totally different scenarios, so I'm not sure why you're comparing the two.