2016-17 NHL Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 07:47 AM)
Will a current team be moving there or is this a new franchise? Doesn't that make odd number of teams?

It would be a new franchise with an expansion draft. It will be an odd number of teams but the NHL doesn't seem in the least bit concerned. It will actually help because now there are 16 teams in the East and only 14 in the West.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
Seems like a risky market (in the south), but best of luck to them

This will be the most popular road destination for fans.

I would think the Vegas team will be outnumbered as far as fan support almost every game.

If I was the NHL, I would schedule as many of the Vegas home games for Thursday, Friday and Saturday as possible.

Maybe some Sunday matinees, too, so people can watch the game and then head to the airport to get home.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
once again, I dont get the TT love, seemed like we were always waiting for him to break out. Maybe he will figure it out as he ages, but I just never saw that "it."

He showed flashes, but had a quiet playoff this year too.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
He showed flashes, but had a quiet playoff this year too.

He didn't make the most of good line time, either. He spent a lot of time on bad lines, but he underperformed on the top line.

DAMN. I am nothing close to a hockey expert but I would have thought Teravainen would have netted a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better pick/picks than that. I know they are taking on Bickell but good lord, TT may be one of the leagues top stars in a year or two? Am I overrating him?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
DAMN. I am nothing close to a hockey expert but I would have thought Teravainen would have netted a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better pick/picks than that. I know they are taking on Bickell but good lord, TT may be one of the leagues top stars in a year or two? Am I overrating him?

I dont see that at all. I dont see him as the untradeable core of a team. Granted he's 21 and could figure it out, but if you compare him to a "top star" at the same age (Kane, Toews) he's scoring half the number of points as they did and he's a defensive liability with arguably no real position.

Edited by RockRaines

As of now yes, he just never put it together even when he got moved up in lines the few times he did. Maybe (and hopefully) he figures it out later and plays to that 1st/2nd line talent we thought the Hawks had when he first came over.

I think a tier below that is his top. A big time point scorer maybe, but not a franchise changer. He has really got to learn to fight in the corners. Kane's game didn't go to that next level until that happened, I think TT is in the same boat.

Okay, I trust your opinions.

Considering the Hawks grabbed him with the 18th pick and he still shown flashes of being a dynamic offensive threat at 21 (He hasnt completely bombed since joining the team) I would have thought there would have been some team that was like, hey we have to jump in and get this guy, with a pick better than the 50th.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
Okay, I trust your opinions.

Considering the Hawks grabbed him with the 18th pick and he still shown flashes of being a dynamic offensive threat at 21 (He hasnt completely bombed since joining the team) I would have thought there would have been some team that was like, hey we have to jump in and get this guy, with a pick better than the 50th.

If we had just traded TT, yeah, the return would have been much closer to Saad. But packaging him with the Bickell deal nuetralizes a ton of that trade value as the NHL is talking about a very static cap this year, if the escalator clause isn't enacted. That alone is a difference of $2.6 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
I think a tier below that is his top. A big time point scorer maybe, but not a franchise changer. He has really got to learn to fight in the corners. Kane's game didn't go to that next level until that happened, I think TT is in the same boat.

Teuvo would have to double his points to even reach Kane's first season total. I dont see him as a big time scorer and he is a defensive liability. I cant help but think Versteeg when I see him.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
The money they saved should go towards Panarin.... yes I know he has 1 yr left on his rookie deal. Shaw is a waste of space.. will be Bickell again.

Shaw is 3x the player Bickell is and ever was. Shaw takes some extremely dumb penalties but he also scores some incredibly huge goals and always plays his ass off. Bickell had a good run for a month, and his deal costed them Saad and now Teravainen. The problem is that keeping Shaw would have been much easier had they not given their 4th line C $3.1m annually, you know, the guy who has 88 points in 326 regular season games and 15 points and a -12 +/- in 83 career playoff games, Marcus Kruger.

Edited by soxfan49