Banning Father Daughter dances in school

greg775

Because of an ACLU complaint, a school district in New York or somewhere banned Father-Daughter dances saying they are discriminatory against a little girl who has no dad to take her.

Couldn't the mom just take her or an uncle or a neighbor or a grandpa or again, have the mom take her?

I just think s*** like this is ruining the country. Political correctness out of control. What is next? Ban all sports in school because one kid has a defect and can't compete and it makes him feel bad to see the other kids play?

Do you agree our society is ruined because of PC stuff like this? I would think a lot of little girls will forever remember their dad/daughter dances in school. Not anymore? They discriminate!!!!

What do u think?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 02:41 AM)
Because of an ACLU complaint, a school district in New York or somewhere banned Father-Daughter dances saying they are discriminatory against a little girl who has no dad to take her.

Couldn't the mom just take her or an uncle or a neighbor or a grandpa or again, have the mom take her?

I just think s*** like this is ruining the country. Political correctness out of control. What is next? Ban all sports in school because one kid has a defect and can't compete and it makes him feel bad to see the other kids play?

Do you agree our society is ruined because of PC stuff like this? I would think a lot of little girls will forever remember their dad/daughter dances in school. Not anymore? They discriminate!!!!

What do u think?

Here's an article Greg. It's in Rhode Island.

The article is extremely biased, but I kind of see both sides of the coin.

On one hand, it is a nice thing to do, but I honestly don't remember the last father-daughter dance I've seen/heard of. Maybe because I went to a school district where lots of kids didn't have both parents, so something like this would have been seen as extremely exclusionary.

I do think this is over the top though. If a school wants to have such a dance, let it happen, but let the girls know they can have someone else take them.

Now, to your post, slow down my friend. Political correctness isn't exactly an evil thing, society is getting ruined by a hundred and one things before political correctness. You have to remember why it's there; not everyone is a white, Anglo-Saxon, protestant male. There is a lot of discrimination out there still and political correctness is all that stops some people from trying to offend everyone.

And don't be stupid, they wouldn't get rid of sports. The ACLU would have a snowballs chance in hell of doing that.

But yeah...I honestly thought we already moved past father-daughter dances in society. Didn't know they were still around.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Here's an article Greg. It's in Rhode Island.

The article is extremely biased, but I kind of see both sides of the coin.

On one hand, it is a nice thing to do, but I honestly don't remember the last father-daughter dance I've seen/heard of. Maybe because I went to a school district where lots of kids didn't have both parents, so something like this would have been seen as extremely exclusionary.

I do think this is over the top though. If a school wants to have such a dance, let it happen, but let the girls know they can have someone else take them.

Now, to your post, slow down my friend. Political correctness isn't exactly an evil thing, society is getting ruined by a hundred and one things before political correctness. You have to remember why it's there; not everyone is a white, Anglo-Saxon, protestant male. There is a lot of discrimination out there still and political correctness is all that stops some people from trying to offend everyone.

And don't be stupid, they wouldn't get rid of sports. The ACLU would have a snowballs chance in hell of doing that.

But yeah...I honestly thought we already moved past father-daughter dances in society. Didn't know they were still around.

Why move past father-daughter dances in society though? What's wrong with a grade school dad-daughter dance? I guess if there are so many divorces a little girl could be devastated, but again, if the kid has one parent I would think the mom could take the kid and other dads could dance with the little kid. I don't think my sports scenario is out of the question. At least I could see a kid sue if he/she got cut from the varsity team. Hey it makes the kid feel bad cause he/she got excluded/cut. I got cut from the baseball team at Brother Rice and was very sad. My parents didn't even console me. Too bad. Suck it up and move on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 03:10 AM)
Why move past father-daughter dances in society though? What's wrong with a grade school dad-daughter dance? I guess if there are so many divorces a little girl could be devastated, but again, if the kid has one parent I would think the mom could take the kid and other dads could dance with the little kid. I don't think my sports scenario is out of the question. At least I could see a kid sue if he/she got cut from the varsity team. Hey it makes the kid feel bad cause he/she got excluded/cut. I got cut from the baseball team at Brother Rice and was very sad. My parents didn't even console me. Too bad. Suck it up and move on.

I didn't say we should, just thought we did. Kinda like debutante balls. Do those still exist?

And dude, the sports scenario is so out of the question. Sports gain schools publicity, money, etc. And cuts exist, hence tryouts. You can't "tryout" for a father-daughter dance.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 03:10 AM)

I didn't say we should, just thought we did. Kinda like debutante balls. Do those still exist?

And dude, the sports scenario is so out of the question. Sports gain schools publicity, money, etc. And cuts exist, hence tryouts. You can't "tryout" for a father-daughter dance.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 06:04 AM)
Agreed, a great country and a great example why.

I don't understand what you attempted to say here.

Are you saying this is a great country because it bans things like father/daughter dances because some kids out there don't have fathers? That's f***ing absurd.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 03:28 AM)

I think his sports scenario is absolutely in the question...you're ok with banning something because the schools don't stand to gain from it? I don't get it. So because other kids don't have fathers, it's ok to ban father/daughter dances, unless they somehow gained publicity or money for the school? Once again, this is absurd rational.

I agree with him on this...while it's no fault of the kids they don't have a father, banning this for all other kids that do is f***ing retarded.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)

Too bad political correctness, by and large, only applies to white people, and society, by and large, accepts it being that way.

If you'd like some references, see stand up comedians Chris Rock, Carlos Mencia, or a plethora of other non-white comedians...they say things a white comedians could NEVER say, and only because they're not white. They've actually have said as much in their routines. This same attitude extends beyond the comedy realm, too...into sports, politics, etc. So long as you aren't white, you can get away with pseudo racial references, and that's ok...because you aren't white.

So I tend to disagree...I find political correctness an evil thing because the same rules aren't applied to everyone...so from the start, it's not politically correct. People just like to pretend it is.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 02:41 AM)

If she tried to do any of those things and they prevented her, then I could maybe see an issue. If not, then this is beyond stupid.

I just took my daughter to a father/daughter dance last year. She had a great time. I didn't really pay attention but I'm sure if any of the girls came with someone other than their father they weren't denied entrance.

This thinking by parents of "If my kid can't have it then why should anyone's kid" is getting ridiculous. They act like it's some horrible thing for their kid to learn that they may be different than everyone else and not everyone gets treated exactly the same.

This is just as bad as schools banning peanut butter from lunchrooms because one kid is allergic to it rather than separating out the single kid.

I hate to see when these kids grow up and realize that the rest of the world doesn't always conform to them and they have to deal with it.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
I just took my daughter to a father/daughter dance last year. She had a great time. I didn't really pay attention but I'm sure if any of the girls came with someone other than their father they weren't denied entrance.

This thinking by parents of "If my kid can't have it then why should anyone's kid" is getting ridiculous. They act like it's some horrible thing for their kid to learn that they may be different than everyone else and not everyone gets treated exactly the same.

This is just as bad as schools banning peanut butter from lunchrooms because one kid is allergic to it rather than separating out the single kid.

I hate to see when these kids grow up and realize that the rest of the world doesn't always conform to them and they have to deal with it.

Oh but they don't deal with it. See: Occupiers.

Did you really just compare this dance issue to a medical condition that could cause illness, hospitalization, and even death?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
Did you really just compare this dance issue to a medical condition that could cause illness, hospitalization, and even death?

I think his point was that instead of giving kids with nut allergies something different than peanut butter, schools have decided to just not give peanut butter to anyone so that the kids with the allergy don't feel left out or different.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
I think his point was that instead of giving kids with nut allergies something different than peanut butter, schools have decided to just not give peanut butter to anyone so that the kids with the allergy don't feel left out or different.

That makes more sense.

I read it like, "Any kid with peanut allergies, go sit in this corner of the lunchroom, so the normal kids can eat what they want"

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)

^^^ That's exactly what I meant.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
That makes more sense.

I read it like, "Any kid with peanut allergies, go sit in this corner of the lunchroom, so the normal kids can eat what they want"

Actually, at my daughter's school that's exactly what they do. She told me that at least one kid has to sit in a completely separate lunchroom.

Surprisingly, the kid's parents haven't complained to the school that they need to completely ban peanut butter and all other products that may contains nuts. Instead they let their kid know that he's a little different than all the other kids so he has to do things a different way and it's OK.

You all missed half the point. The ACLU was saying that the schools had no business in trying to 'force' these gender stereotypes that all girls want a dance or that all guys want to play sports. So the mere fact that it is daddy-daughter dance, and not parent-kid dance is one of the complaints.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
You all missed half the point. The ACLU was saying that the schools had no business in trying to 'force' these gender stereotypes that all girls want a dance or that all guys want to play sports. So the mere fact that it is daddy-daughter dance, and not parent-kid dance is one of the complaints.

No, we get the point.

It's just a stupid point.

It's only an issue if they weren't allowing moms to bring their daughters to the dances or dads to bring their sons to the baseball game. I have yet to read if this is true or not.

Not only is it happening but many companies are bowing to them because they have no choice. Here is an opinion from the Washington Post.

And another from Forbes.

When an entire generation of workers have certain expectations, it's hard not to comply.

Sorry that was totally off topic, but I thought the articles were interesting.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)

Just a small nitpick but I think they got rid of peanut butter and peanut products because they could so easily contaminate other foods. Using the same knife, used to be on the counter, etc.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
^^^ That's exactly what I meant.

Actually, at my daughter's school that's exactly what they do. She told me that at least one kid has to sit in a completely separate lunchroom.

Surprisingly, the kid's parents haven't complained to the school that they need to completely ban peanut butter and all other products that may contains nuts. Instead they let their kid know that he's a little different than all the other kids so he has to do things a different way and it's OK.

We had this at our kid's school as well. However, it was only through 3rd grade when some of the kids may not know how severe the allergy was and how they could effect it. Now the the girl (my daughter's friend) eats with her friends in the lunchroom and everyone with her realizes what they can and can't bring.

Oh yeah I missed that. I thought it was a "we have to make single parent kids feel like they're the same despite the fact that they're not so let's cancel the event for everyone." I didn't realize it was a gender stereotyping issue. That's even more f***ed up.