2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

Due to the Democratic Thread becoming debate central, we're creating a new thread specifically for discussion pertaining to the election here.

Democrat discussion/news can remain in that thread, like how the Republican thread has been.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently moved from Chicago to the suburbs (DuPage County) and sent in my change of address form into the election commission office. I did so in August and when I called last Friday they said they had sent me my voters registration card in the mail in September. I will look for it this week in the mail, but should I be concerned about not being able to vote since I don't have my voters registration card yet and the state's deadline is tomorrow?

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
I recently moved from Chicago to the suburbs (DuPage County) and sent in my change of address form into the election commission office. I did so in August and when I called last Friday they said they had sent me my voters registration card in the mail in September. I will look for it this week in the mail, but should I be concerned about not being able to vote since I don't have my voters registration card yet and the state's deadline is tomorrow?

If you are in the system, do you really need a card? They just ask me for my ID when I go to the booth. I've never been asked for a voters card or anything.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
You still need to be registered in a specific place to a specific address and go to a specific polling place.

Yeah, I'm not worried about voter fraud or anything. If people want to cheat, they will find a way no matter what the rules.

There are just so many random petty services that require IDs, it just seems funny that voting is not one of them. I need an ID and a utility bill to get a local library card, but not to vote.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
Yeah, I'm not worried about voter fraud or anything. If people want to cheat, they will find a way no matter what the rules.

There are just so many random petty services that require IDs, it just seems funny that voting is not one of them. I need an ID and a utility bill to get a local library card, but not to vote.

Voter ID laws are a joke. Voter fraud is virtually non existent. The only reason the laws are created is to suppress votes for Democrats. These laws overwhelmingly effect minority, elderly and handicap voters who are both far less likely to carry a valid ID and have less capability to acquire one.

I agree with you in the sense that is should not seemingly be a big deal to show an ID as they are used in many other places but when the laws suppress millions of voters in an attempt to solve a problem that does not exist they need to be repealed.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
They should just do mail in ballots everywhere like they do here in Washington State. You get your ballot mailed to you, you fill it out, and then mail it back.

That's what I'm doing in Illinois because I don't want to wait in long line when I get off work at 5.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 10:07 PM)
http://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-putin-sid...-sputnik-508635

Why is Russia trying so hard to get Trump elected? This is an outrage.

That's the worst thing about the Trump campaign. It's not only dishonest, it's manipulative. I've seen bogus click-bait articles about how Wikileaks had a email of Clinton telling Podesta that she thought black people were lazy and bound to fail. Yeah that wasn't the case, as the email wasn't sent by Clinton and for some reason was sent to certain people at Politico (WTF?). But the Trump supporters who read those articles eat that s*** up without even thinking twice. It's just sad.

Social media has basically ruined politics and contributed to the great divide we have in politics. The nuts on both sides of the aisle go to their safe spaces, read bulls***, don't think about it, share it, and then their friends read about it and they get mad together. Or they argue and stop being friends on Facebook because of it. It's awful. As bad as Cable News was for politics, at least there is some sort of control for the quality of content (even Fox News...). On the internet, you can post complete and utter bulls*** and convince at least a few people that what you spew is true.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 10:07 PM)
http://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-putin-sid...-sputnik-508635

Why is Russia trying so hard to get Trump elected? This is an outrage.

Is anyone else watching The Contenders series on PBS? The last one featured Gary Hart. I guess in 1988 he actually traveled to the Soviet Union and did a bunch of negotiations with Gorbachev. He didn't get to use this as an election piece after his campaign fell apart, but it blew me away.

I have a theory I'm working on that Trump is mentally trapped in the year 1991 and he's only capable of processing a limited amount of new information. It would explain several things.

-Why he thinks Russia is much more willing to cooperate with the United States than it actually is - because it was much more friendly then, compared to now

-Why he thinks crime is worse than it's ever been. 1991 was still the crack era and gang violence was rampant. He mentioned Washington DC during the debate on Sunday. DC was a ghetto in 1991, but it's been thoroughly gentrified and has astronomical property values now.

-Why he still, for some f***ing reason, thinks the Central Park 5 are guilty despite being exonerated by DNA evidence. This would have been a wrong, but not insane, opinion to have that year.

-I would not be surprised to find out that he thinks the Gulf War and the Iraq War are the same thing.

He is somehow aware that Bill Clinton and Barack Obama were presidents, and George H.W. Bush is no longer president (whether he knows Bush 43 is Bush 41's son is an open question).