**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

I remember those cheers

They still ring in my ears

And for years they'll remain in my thoughts.

Cuz one night I took off my robe

And what'd I do I forgot to wear shorts.

I recall every fall, every hook, every jab

The worst way a guy could get rid of his flab

As you know, my life was a jab...

Though I'd rather hear you cheer

When I delve into Shakespeare

"A Horse, a Horse, my kindom for a Horse,"

I haven't had a winner in six months

I know I'm no Olivier

But if he fought Sugar Ray

He would say

That the thing

Ain't the ring

It's the play

So gimme a stage

Where this bull here can rage

And though I can fight

I'd much rather recite

That's entertainment.

That's entertainment.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where's your list, haha?

I just finished The Big Short...perfect companion piece to Inside Job and 10x better than Margin Call.

1. Spotlight

2. Room

3. Brooklyn

4. The Big Short

5. The Martian

6. Carol

7. Mad Max:Fury Road

8. The Revenant

9. Sicario

10. Inside Out

Just missed: Steve Jobs, The Tribe, Bridge of Spies, Straight Outta Compton, Anomalisa, 45 Years, The End of the Tour, The Danish Girl, Amy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 08:44 PM)
Where's your list, haha?

Gimme another week or so to see some stuff. Have been working this past week. Big Short, Hateful 8, and Revenant need to be seen,

Patience is a virtue. ha

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 09:46 PM)
Seeing Hateful Eight at music box tomorrow. I think that will be fun to see a movie in a crowd that big. Last movie I saw there was ... The room or White Christmas.

I'm looking to go there Monday afternoon for first time. It's quite a venture on the train for me so we'll see if I do or just see it on normal screen near home.

2015 List (No particular order):

Star Wars

Ex Machina

Mad Max

Me, Earl and the Dying Girl

The Revenant

The Hateful 8

Carol

Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation

Dope

Sicario

The End of the Tour

James White

They Look Like Us

Bridge of Spies

Creed

Straight Out Of Compton

Tangerine

Love

It Follows

The best movie of the year was Star Wars.

The most disappointing movie was The Martian

I haven't see. Spotlight and the majority of the Big Short.

Edited to add: Love and It Follows

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
2015 List (No particular order):

Star Wars

Ex Machina

Mad Max

Me, Earl and the Dying Girl

The Revenant

The Hateful 8

Carol

Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation

Dope

Sicario

The End of the Tour

James White

They Look Like Us

Bridge of Spies

Creed

Straight Out Of Compton

Tangerine

The best movie of the year was Star Wars.

The most disappointing movie was The Martian

I haven't see. Spotlight and the majority of the Big Short.

I forgot Me, Earl...that was great, too.

It Follows deserves consideration as the best horror film...Black Mass...and another Edgerton film, The Gift.

Tangerine, I started and couldn't get into. Critics love Chi-Raq but it wasn't half the impact of Do The Right Thing to me. Maybe not a Nick Cannon fan...preferred him in Drumline. Angela Bassett was the saving grace, and Samuel Jackson's riffs.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
I forgot Me, Earl...that was great, too.

It Follows deserves consideration as the best horror film...Black Mass...and another Edgerton film, The Gift.

Tangerine, I started and couldn't get into. Critics love Chi-Raq but it wasn't half the impact of Do The Right Thing to me. Maybe not a Nick Cannon fan...preferred him in Drumline. Angela Bassett was the saving grace, and Samuel Jackson's riffs.

Man, I thought It Follows came out in 2014 fm for some reason. I saw it when it came out and that was forever ago.

I'm having a hard time believing Brian will pick Star Wars because of his film critic side...

There should be a category for most entertaining and you could put Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Mission Impossible, The Martian, Mad Max and Sicario there.

It's hard to compare Spotlight, Room, Carol, The Big Short or Brooklyn to those honestly. Totally different genres.

Maybe I'll change my mind after watching in a theatre with 3D and surround sound, but I just feel Star Wars relied too much on trotting out familiar themes and characters...and the whole dynamic with Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford was just off, that Daisy Ridley evolved too quickly and the whole second death star scenario was forced. All that said, it was great in evoking memories and a faithful and modernized recreation of those first three movies everyone loves so much. Even the music and familiar scroll at the beginning.

Edited by caulfield12

Oh, you better believe TFA is in my top 10 right now.

I know what you mean. I know I can be a snob sometimes but I enjoy popcorn flicks just as much as indy ones.

My list will be tainted because I probably won't get to see Carol, Anomalisa, or Brooklyn.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Oh, you better believe TFA is in my top 10 right now.

I know what you mean. I know I can be a snob sometimes but I enjoy popcorn flicks just as much as indy ones.

My list will be tainted because I probably won't get to see Carol, Anomalisa, or Brooklyn.

Anomalisa is brilliant but strange.

The most out there/adult-themed animation film of my lifetime...other than SP Team America World Police.

Inside Out is a better, more cohesive plotline but wow on Anomalisa.

The Danish Girl...Eddie Redmayne definitely deserves a Best Actor nomination here.

Can't say it's a great film overall, but a very typical Tom Hooper effort. Ostensibly, a straightforward bio film about a woman trapped in a man's body who eventally got the first sex change operation...with all the societal pressures that went against that in the 1920's.

Next, I still think the IMAX film back then was better, but Everest was strong. Having been to the foot of the mountain in early October...just can't imagine how cold and windy it is, and that was well below base camp. The wind just takes your breath away. I was ready to go back after sleeping in a tent just one night with about five blankets. The most beautiful view of the stars at night you can imagine.

Jason Clarke was his usual workman-like self as Rob Hall...whose conflicts over commercial interest because of his outdoor adventures business ($65,000 per climber) and the Krakauer coverage pushed him back up the mountain and probably cost 3 if not 4 more lives in the process...including his own.

Would like to see Clarke in a different sort of role for a change.

Edited by caulfield12

Not yet, that one and 45 Years are on my list still.

Not a Keitel fan but will definitely check it out.

I won't call it a masterpiece, but it's quite good. Michael Caine at his crusty old curmudgeonly best...and an unforgettable scene with Madalina Ghenea from Romania as Miss Universe that comes from out of nowhere. It was definitely a sentimental but unflinching look at the past, regret, and the vicissitudes of youth as time takes on a different meaning for those nearer the end than middle age.

Edited by caulfield12

On a bit of a holiday movie kick with the wife these past two weeks:

Star Wars (no wife for this one, took my 11 year old) - nice return to the feel of Eps 4 & 5. I feel good about the series going forward. I wasn't a huge, huge fan like most kids my age (43), but it was undeniably an important film series to my generation.

The Martian - Saw this at the $2 theater. Pretty predictable, but worth seeing.

The Big Short - My wife loved. I thought it was just ok. I read the book, though, and that usually has an impact on seeing the movie version of the story. They did a good job of explaining the real estate meltdown - which is something we should all be much madder about than we are. Book was really good, but it's a pretty tricky read because the subject is pretty complicated.

The Danish Girl - Good movie. Eddie R. will be nominated. He does a really good job of showing how confusing gender identity is for some people.

The Hateful Eight - Not Tarrantino's best. I put it below my favorite 4 (Resevoir Dogs, Pulp, Inglorious, & Django). It was a little slow, and I didn't find any character especially likeable. And, I mean likeable in the Tony Soprano sense of a bad guy that I like and root for.

Spotlight - I really liked this. An expose on the cover up in the Catholic Church priest abuse in the Boston diocese and even higher up. Really well told. Good acting. And I think it's a good representation of the way absolute power corrupts absolutely. In this story it's the Catholic Church. But it's applicable to so many other things (Government, Wall Street, Police Departments, etc). The average citizen is pretty powerless against the machine. And the powers that be know how to distract and divide the people that are being screwed.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
On a bit of a holiday movie kick with the wife these past two weeks:

Star Wars (no wife for this one, took my 11 year old) - nice return to the feel of Eps 4 & 5. I feel good about the series going forward. I wasn't a huge, huge fan like most kids my age (43), but it was undeniably an important film series to my generation.

The Martian - Saw this at the $2 theater. Pretty predictable, but worth seeing.

The Big Short - My wife loved. I thought it was just ok. I read the book, though, and that usually has an impact on seeing the movie version of the story. They did a good job of explaining the real estate meltdown - which is something we should all be much madder about than we are. Book was really good, but it's a pretty tricky read because the subject is pretty complicated.

The Danish Girl - Good movie. Eddie R. will be nominated. He does a really good job of showing how confusing gender identity is for some people.

The Hateful Eight - Not Tarrantino's best. I put it below my favorite 4 (Resevoir Dogs, Pulp, Inglorious, & Django). It was a little slow, and I didn't find any character especially likeable. And, I mean likeable in the Tony Soprano sense of a bad guy that I like and root for.

Spotlight - I really liked this. An expose on the cover up in the Catholic Church priest abuse in the Boston diocese and even higher up. Really well told. Good acting. And I think it's a good representation of the way absolute power corrupts absolutely. In this story it's the Catholic Church. But it's applicable to so many other things (Government, Wall Street, Police Departments, etc). The average citizen is pretty powerless against the machine. And the powers that be know how to distract and divide the people that are being screwed.

Walter Goggins is as close as it gets...but even that's not so cut and dried.

"Anomalisa" is...abstract. Maybe Kaufman just isn't my kind of filmmaker but people like him. Maybe it's hard for me to get emotionally involved in stop motion animation. Not sure. It's good but wouldn't recommend going out of your way to catch it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 10:57 PM)
Caufield, have you seen YOUTH? OLder guy I work with said its a masterpiece.

I saw Youth. I couldn't believe how much it reminded me of La Grande Bellezza. It was like I was watching an American remake. :P

I'd put La Grande Bellezza closer to a masterpiece...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
Walter Goggins is as close as it gets...but even that's not so cut and dried.

i can see goggins as now being a permanent part of the QT family of cast members in any forth coming QT movies.