Rebuild hardest on JR

southsider2k5

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
Best thing for this rebuild is Jerry selling the team. Please happen

I would be thrilled to no end if JR sold the team. I would think that most of the front office are actually worried about him selling the team. Most of the front office would be unemployed once a new owner comes in.

I like Hahn's response to the TSA agents trade proposal. Great sense of humor Rick.

As for JR. Meh, I'm not going to use this as an opportunity to take shots at him ( done my fair share through the years) because I don't know the inner workings of the Sox finances so I'm hesitant to say he could have increased payroll to help build a better club. I will say this though, I don't deny his love for the White Sox.

"Hahn thought the club truly signaled its direction when it hired manager Rick Renteria and promoted Nick Capra to third-base coach and Curt Hasler to bullpen coach. All three have significant player development roots."

You definitely have to have ML coaches who have player development roots on the ML roster when doing a massive rebuild. But it may be more important to also have them at the minor league level where the majority of the development should occur. Hopefully that has or will be addressed especially since the bulk of the young players are not ML ready yet.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 07:24 PM)
"Hahn thought the club truly signaled its direction when it hired manager Rick Renteria and promoted Nick Capra to third-base coach and Curt Hasler to bullpen coach. All three have significant player development roots."

You definitely have to have ML coaches who have player development roots on the ML roster when doing a massive rebuild. But it may be more important to also have them at the minor league level where the majority of the development should occur. Hopefully that has or will be addressed especially since the bulk of the young players are not ML ready yet.

So does that mean the offering of Robin Ventura a managerial job for the 2017 season was just a publicity stunt, or did they really think they could do a successful rebuild with him at the helm?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)

Lol - uhhh, boy. What to do with this nonsense. Just when you've started turning a blind eye to Hahn's abysmal four years since he was appointed GM at the end of 2012, as he's inspired a glimmer of hope in whatever capabilities he may have to develop a sustainably winning MLB ball club with his rebuilding trades so far this offseason, then there's this: the customary fluff piece to flatter the outdated owner of the White Sox.

Consider: Hahn states in this article that "it (the rebuild) was the hardest thing for him...It was probably easier for us than it was for Jerry...So he deserves the most credit (for the rebuild)...because it was most difficult for him."

Easier for us than "him"? Most difficult for "him"? "He deserves the most credit (for the rebuild)"? WHAT?!?!? He's the only one amongst us who will continue to PROFIT IMMENSELY throughout this entire rebuild because he is entering his 27th year of guaranteed profits courtesy of Illinois taxpayers due to the sweetheart lease deal he blackmailed the state into giving him almost 30 years ago. Never forget this salient fact about this scoundrel, folks. NEVER FORGET! No matter how bad the team does (e.g., the past 11 years), this guy continues and will continue to make a boatload of money, each and every year, on the backs of taxpayers. What a guy, eh?

So during these lean years of the rebuild when you and me are still investing our time and disposable income into yet more of the subpar product Reinsdorf has routinely given to us for over a decade now, remember that Mr. "Oh, this rebuild is soooooo hard on me!" will still be making deposits into his bank account the likes of which most fans will never know.

Reinsdorf is a sham and a scam and has been since he washed up on shore back in 1980 when he lucked into buying Our Sox. Our beleaguered fan base will be so far better served when we are finally rid of his influence on the franchise.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 10:48 PM)
Thad, I really hope Reinsdorf f***ed your woman or something, because your hatred/obsession with him is honestly out of control. There's absolute nothing wrong with a 81 year old not being excited about going through a multi-year rebuild.

Meh. I agree with him in this case. He skimped out on amateur spending for over a decade and pushed his front office to take measures to try and catch lightning in a bottle all over again. Sorry if I don't give a s*** about Jerry Reinsdorf's feelings.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 11:48 PM)
Thad, I really hope Reinsdorf f***ed your woman or something, because your hatred/obsession with him is honestly out of control. There's absolute nothing wrong with a 81 year old not being excited about going through a multi-year rebuild.

No hatred or obsession involved. Just a fact-based reaction to a ridiculous fluff piece of the blight who owns and leads the team we cherish and follow. Many people on this fan site focus their frustration on the team's futility over and over again on the manager (e.g., Ventura). Some comment incessantly on the former GM and current SVP - Baseball Operatons (KW). Looking back, there were many who went on a crusade here against a hitting coach of all things (Fire Greg Walker) to express their frustration on the team's results. The frequency of those types of reactions to management far outweigh my or any of the other well-articulated criticisms to Reinsdorf on this site, so I think your criticism is a bit exaggerated.

My opinion as a fan as to who put our team in the position it is today having to pivot and react to the pattern of futility for over a decade lands squarely at Reinsdorf's feet, pure and simple. The guy who has allowed the continued failure we've witnessed but who refuses to replace the folks (Williams & Hahn) who put the team & franchise we love and cherish in the position it's in today. That's a fair and objective assessment, in my opinion, based on facts and recent team results, and one that has no connection to anything as ridiculous as your assertion about the owner and my woman. That suggestion was a bit much, which I hope you realize upon further reflection.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 11:25 PM)
No hatred or obsession involved. Just a fact-based reaction to a ridiculous fluff piece of the blight who owns and leads the team we cherish and follow. Many people on this fan site focus their frustration on the team's futility over and over again on the manager (e.g., Ventura). Some comment incessantly on the former GM and current SVP - Baseball Operatons (KW). Looking back, there were many who went on a crusade here against a hitting coach of all things (Fire Greg Walker) to express their frustration on the team's results. The frequency of those types of reactions to management far outweigh my or any of the other well-articulated criticisms to Reinsdorf on this site, so I think your criticism is a bit exaggerated.

My opinion as a fan as to who put our team in the position it is today having to pivot and react to the pattern of futility for over a decade lands squarely at Reinsdorf's feet, pure and simple. The guy who has allowed the continued failure we've witnessed but who refuses to replace the folks (Williams & Hahn) who put the team & franchise we love and cherish in the position it's in today. That's a fair and objective assessment, in my opinion, based on facts and recent team results, and one that has no connection to anything as ridiculous as your assertion about the owner and my woman. That suggestion was a bit much, which I hope you realize upon further reflection.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:28 AM)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Throw away reaction, no value add here. Shocker.

Meanwhile, we have crocodile tears coming from the owner who has presided over 36 years of ownership in which his team has scarce made the postseason but five times, not once in the past eight years, and one that's on its way to extending that period to a full decade, in this the period of two Wild Card teams. Real funny, SS2K5, eh?

Do you find that funny, SS2K5? The fact our fan base, the one you routinely enjoy denigrating, will go a full decade without seeing their team participate in the postseason? Is this a HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA moment for you, too? Do you find it funny when the folks who put the team we passionately follow remain in their positions of influence? Is the Sox situation really just a joke to you, not to be taken seriously?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
Lol - uhhh, boy. What to do with this nonsense. Just when you've started turning a blind eye to Hahn's abysmal four years since he was appointed GM at the end of 2012, as he's inspired a glimmer of hope in whatever capabilities he may have to develop a sustainably winning MLB ball club with his rebuilding trades so far this offseason, then there's this: the customary fluff piece to flatter the outdated owner of the White Sox.

Consider: Hahn states in this article that "it (the rebuild) was the hardest thing for him...It was probably easier for us than it was for Jerry...So he deserves the most credit (for the rebuild)...because it was most difficult for him."

Easier for us than "him"? Most difficult for "him"? "He deserves the most credit (for the rebuild)"? WHAT?!?!? He's the only one amongst us who will continue to PROFIT IMMENSELY throughout this entire rebuild because he is entering his 27th year of guaranteed profits courtesy of Illinois taxpayers due to the sweetheart lease deal he blackmailed the state into giving him almost 30 years ago. Never forget this salient fact about this scoundrel, folks. NEVER FORGET! No matter how bad the team does (e.g., the past 11 years), this guy continues and will continue to make a boatload of money, each and every year, on the backs of taxpayers. What a guy, eh?

So during these lean years of the rebuild when you and me are still investing our time and disposable income into yet more of the subpar product Reinsdorf has routinely given to us for over a decade now, remember that Mr. "Oh, this rebuild is soooooo hard on me!" will still be making deposits into his bank account the likes of which most fans will never know.

Reinsdorf is a sham and a scam and has been since he washed up on shore back in 1980 when he lucked into buying Our Sox. Our beleaguered fan base will be so far better served when we are finally rid of his influence on the franchise.

Could you be any more wishy washy on the subject ? :P Judging by the comments in the thread, I'd say more than a few realize without bias that he puts profits ahead of the team and that's the nicest hing you can say about him. I mean sure he gives big donations to charities (write offs) and he must have a hell of a publicist to not take much more grief than he does.

You seem very well spoken so I have no qualms with you voicing a very strong opinion. I really try to keep out of the more toxic comments but I do side with you on this

Let's face it. Jerry and his group have been horrible owners. Somehow we got a WS during his era and we all should be eternally grateful for that. I can't hate Jerry cause he gave me one WS.

However, he's a horrific owner. Thank you Ozzie and the players and, gulp, yes, Kenny for putting that team together. I'd give Jerry an A-plus for the title season. And he gets a D or C-minus for the rest of his tenure.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 09:43 PM)
Throw away reaction, no value add here. Shocker.

Meanwhile, we have crocodile tears coming from the owner who has presided over 36 years of ownership in which his team has scarce made the postseason but five times, not once in the past eight years, and one that's on its way to extending that period to a full decade, in this the period of two Wild Card teams. Real funny, SS2K5, eh?

Do you find that funny, SS2K5? The fact our fan base, the one you routinely enjoy denigrating, will go a full decade without seeing their team participate in the postseason? Is this a HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA moment for you, too? Do you find it funny when the folks who put the team we passionately follow remain in their positions of influence? Is the Sox situation really just a joke to you, not to be taken seriously?

I don't think you have an obsession or hatred , though your words indicate a very strong dislike and might be hatred just judging by the viitriol you spout.

My opinion is that you have educated yourself on all things Reinsdorf and therefore your opinion is one that doesn't like what he's read. That seems unreasonably unbiased way to go about things if I am correct.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:26 AM)
Let's face it. Jerry and his group have been horrible owners. Somehow we got a WS during his era and we all should be eternally grateful for that. I can't hate Jerry cause he gave me one WS.

However, he's a horrific owner. Thank you Ozzie and the players and, gulp, yes, Kenny for putting that team together. I'd give Jerry an A-plus for the title season. And he gets a D or C-minus for the rest of his tenure.

I'll never understand why KW had to mix things up after the WS with the roster. Why trade Rowand when we could've traded Anderson.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 11:05 PM)
Meh. I agree with him in this case. He skimped out on amateur spending for over a decade and pushed his front office to take measures to try and catch lightning in a bottle all over again. Sorry if I don't give a s*** about Jerry Reinsdorf's feelings.

I'm not defending Reinsdorf here, I've called him out many times for his various flaws including the ones you described above. But I'm not going to criticize a guy for having a hard time accepting a strategy that might result in him never seeing an above .500 team again in his life. Ultimately he did the right thing for the broader fanbase and not just himself. Again, there are plenty of things to criticize Reinsdorf about, but his feelings on going through a rebuild isn't one of them IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 06:40 AM)
I'm not defending Reinsdorf here, I've called him out many times for his various flaws including the ones you described above. But I'm not going to criticize a guy for having a hard time accepting a strategy that might result in him never seeing an above .500 team again in his life. Ultimately he did the right thing for the broader fanbase and not just himself. Again, there are plenty of things to criticize Reinsdorf about, but his feelings on going through a rebuild isn't one of them IMO.

I don't care that he feels bad though. He's the primary reason why they had to rebuild. It was the right decision but many, many factors over the years led to finally doing it. He can feel however he wants but he should right in the mirror if he's wondering why this happened.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 06:40 AM)

This. And what would one expect Hahn to say?

The fact is JR either had to Illitch it (which resulted in zero titles in Detroit) or do some sort of rebuild.

I really thought he may Illitch it at one point.

I get the Sale trade, but I still don't understand the Eaton trade. I think that one will bite the White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 07:21 AM)
This. And what would one expect Hahn to say?

The fact is JR either had to Illitch it (which resulted in zero titles in Detroit) or do some sort of rebuild.

I really thought he may Illitch it at one point.

I get the Sale trade, but I still don't understand the Eaton trade. I think that one will bite the White Sox.

Why don't you understand the Eaton trade? They got a very good return for a speed player in his late 20's. Eaton would have been on the next good Sox team but his prime would be no longer most likely. Eaton was my favorite player on the team even though it seems that he was a giant pain in the ass. That trade had to get made to push this rebuild forward.