Predict the 2017 Opening Day Roster

Bob Sacamano

Very bored at work in my cubicle. Figured it would be fun. I'll get this posted and come back and edit my roster throughout the day haha

Catchers: Narvaez, Soto

Infield: Abreu, Saladino, Frazier, Anderson, Sanchez (out of options), Davidson (out of options).

Outfield: Cabrera, Liriano, A. Garcia, Bourjos, L. Garcia (also IF), Asche

1. Anderson SS

2. Saladino 2B

3. Abreu 1B

4. Cabrera LF

5. Frazier 3B

6. A. Garcia RF

7. Asche/Davidson DH

8. Narvaez C (Soto against lefties)

9. Bourjos/L. Garcia CF

Bench:

Soto/Narvaez C

Sanchez IF

Davidson/Asche

L. Garcia IF/OF

Starting Rotation:

Quintana

Rodon

Gonzalez

Holland

Shields

Bullpen:

MR Luebke

MR Ynoa

MR Petricka

MR Putnam

SU Jennings

SU Jones

CL Robertson

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shields may be cut before Opening Day. It almost looks like he is intentionally pitching poorly so he can get an early paid retirement.

It is really hard to watch his nonchalant attitude and lack of competitive demeanor. That is what the Padres Owner got angry with him about in the first place. No way should the Sox have traded for him.

So please, go ahead and cut Shields. That would actually help the pitching staff by not having to cover the remaining innings in games where he gets the hook early.

Quntana, Rodon, Miguel Gonzales, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer, and Holland (and maybe others) are all better options than Shields for the starting rotation. And unlike Shields, every one of them truly wants to win every game they pitch.

The Sox made a mistake last season by having John Danks in the rotation to start the season because they were reticient to cut a guy they owed millions of dollars to. So they eventually had to cut him and pay him, but Danks left us with several losses to boot, including the Opening Day loss. Don't make the same mistake. Bite the bullet, eat his salary, and release him.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 02:44 PM)
Shields may be cut before Opening Day. It almost looks like he is intentionally pitching poorly so he can get an early paid retirement.

It is really hard to watch his nonchalant attitude and lack of competitive demeanor. That is what the Padres Owner got angry with him about in the first place. No way should the Sox have traded for him.

So please, go ahead and cut Shields. That would actually help the pitching staff by not having to cover the remaining innings in games where he gets the hook early.

Quntana, Rodon, Miguel Gonzales, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer, and Holland (and maybe others) are all better options than Shields for the starting rotation. And unlike Shields, every one of them truly wants to win every game they pitch.

The Sox made a mistake last season by having John Danks in the rotation to start the sesson because they were reticient to cut a guy they owed millions of dollars to. So they eventually had to cut him and pay him, but Danks left us with several losses to boot, including the Opening Day loss. Don't make the same mistake. Bite the bullet, eat his salary, and release him.

This won't happen. He is going to be out there getting shelled so we can hold off on rushing Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer and also delaying a year of service time on them. And I forgot who the tweet was from (it was posted here somewhere) but Rodon may not even be ready by Opening Day.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)
This won't happen. He is going to be out there getting shelled so we can hold off on rushing Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer and also delaying a year of service time on them. And I forgot who the tweet was from (it was posted here somewhere) but Rodon may not even be ready by Opening Day.

They are not going to cut Shields, no matter how bad he is this season

Sox still owe him about $10 million this year and next and are not going to flush $20 million down the drain while rebuilding. He needs to eat innings.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
They are not going to cut Shields, no matter how bad he is this season

Sox still owe him about $10 million this year and next and are not going to flush $20 million down the drain while rebuilding. He needs to eat innings.

You missed the point.

Shields is not an innings eater. It is exactly the opposite. And he doesn't really want to pitch any more. You cannot have a loser like that on the mound and expect to sell tickets. Even John Danks was trying to win every game he pitched in.

Shields has to go. The sooner better....and that has nothing to do with rebuilding.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)
You missed the point.

Shields is not an innings eater. It is exactly the opposite. And he doesn't really want to pitch any more. You cannot have a loser like that on the mound and expect to sell tickets. Even John Danks was trying to win every game he pitched in.

Shields has to go. The sooner better....and that has nothing to do with rebuilding.

And you know this...how?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
And you know this...how?

My opinion which is shared by a lot of people, including Ron Fowler, the Padres Executive Chairman.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...itical-comments

Oh, did you watch any of Shields starts for the White Sox last season or his start on Spring Training yesterday or his interview after that?

http://www.csnchicago.com/video/shields-i-...ht-i-was-decent

There is a train of thought that the Sox should lose as many games as possible. Even for those who subscribe to that theory of rebuilding, you do not want to burn up the arms of our pitching staff covering for this guy and you never want to field players that look like they aren't giving maximum effort, or sloughing off questions after poor performance.

He's gotta go, at least in my opinion. Let's agree to disagree and see how this works out one way or another.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 04:42 PM)
My opinion which is shared by a lot of people, including Ron Fowler, the Padres Executive Chairman.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...itical-comments

Oh, did you watch any of Shields starts for the White Sox last season or his start on Spring Training yesterday or his interview after that?

http://www.csnchicago.com/video/shields-i-...ht-i-was-decent

There is a train of thought that the Sox should lose as many games as possible. Even for those who subscribe to that theory of rebuilding, you do not want to burn up the arms of our pitching staff covering for this guy and you never want to field players that look like they aren't giving maximum effort, or sloughing off questions after poor performance.

He's gotta go, at least in my opinion. Let's agree to disagree and see how this works out one way or another.

None of the links you provided take us to a place supporting your assertion that Shields doesn't want to pitch any longer. They take you to a place where we can read the Padres' owner's unhappiness with his actual performance last season, but nothing about a desire to stop playing baseball. So let's not conflate Shields' talent at this stage in his career and the results therein with what may or may not be going on in his mind about wanting to continue on in Major League baseball, because neither you, nor I, or anyone else is able to know that unless he flat out comes out and says so, which he has not.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
Well this thread sucks and I instantly regret creating it lol

it was worth it just for the Shields bashing. I f***ing hate that guy. FWIW he was arrogant as f*** during the games I went to in Phoenix last week. Didn't sign any autographs, didn't acknowledge the fans, and generally just looked like he had a stick up his ass the entire game.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
it was worth it just for the Shields bashing. I f***ing hate that guy. FWIW he was arrogant as f*** during the games I went to in Phoenix last week. Didn't sign any autographs, didn't acknowledge the fans, and generally just looked like he had a stick up his ass the entire game.

This happens in almost every thread regardless.

Didn't understand or like the Shields trade but it is what it is. IMHO, the Sox need Shields for the time being. As of now it looks like the five rotation pitchers will be Q, Rodon, Holland, Shields and Covey. When one of Giolito, Lopez , Fulmer become ready I think Covey is first to go. When the second pitcher becomes ready he will probably replace Q if/when he is traded. When the third of those three is ready, that's when you cut bait on Shields.

It's going to be painful to watch but just use and abuse Shields to help buy some time for the younger pitchers. He will also be playing an important role in helping the team get a high 2018 1St round pick, so there's that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 04:14 PM)
Didn't understand or like the Shields trade but it is what it is. IMHO, the Sox need Shields for the time being. As of now it looks like the five rotation pitchers will be Q, Rodon, Holland, Shields and Covey. When one of Giolito, Lopez , Fulmer become ready I think Covey is first to go. When the second pitcher becomes ready he will probably replace Q if/when he is traded. When the third of those three is ready, that's when you cut bait on Shields.

It's going to be painful to watch but just use and abuse Shields to help buy some time for the younger pitchers. He will also be playing an important role in helping the team get a high 2018 1St round pick, so there's that.

Weren't you the one who forgot Gonzalez last time as well? haha

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
I hope we win 50 games.

If the Sox stick with Shields and give him 30+ starts I honestly feel like Shields is a 20-25 game loser. The Sox don't have another player that can pound for pound of s*** give you that kind of production towards a high 2018 draft pick. Think of Shields as the base fertilizer (poop) for the June 2018 flower the Sox will pick. Makes me think of rainbow ejaculating unicorns. :)

Sorry back to the thread...

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
Very bored at work in my cubicle. Figured it would be fun. I'll get this posted and come back and edit my roster throughout the day haha

Catchers: Narvaez, Soto

Infield: Abreu, Saladino, Frazier, Anderson, Sanchez (out of options), L. Garcia (also serves as OF depth)

Outfield: Cabrera, Tilson (assuming healthy), A. Garcia, Bourjos, Asche (chunk of DH at bats against righties, out of options, short leash if Davidson, Hayes, or Delmonico is hitting)

Vs RHP:

1. Anderson SS

2. Tilson CF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Cabrera LF

5. Frazier 3B

6. Garcia RF

7. Asche DH (short leash as explained above)

8. Saladino 2B

9. Narvaez C

Vs LHP:

1. Anderson SS

2. Tilson CF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Cabrera LF

5. Frazier 3B

6. Garcia DH

7. Soto C

8. Saladino 2B

9. Bourjos RF

Starting Rotation:

Quintana (assuming not dealt by OD)

Rodon (assuming he is healthy, otherwise Covey or Beck in rotation)

Gonzalez

Holland

Shields

Bullpen:

LR Covey/Beck (depending on Rodon health)

MR Soto/Luebke (second lefty)

MR Petricka

MR Putnam

SU Jennings

SU Jones

CL Robertson

I wanted to keep Ynoa on this staff, but I figured I would keep a long-reliever on here. Not sure if he has options or not. Covey is a Rule-5 guy so unless he starts in rotation due to someone being hurt, I have him in pen. Soto I have as a second lefty.

Ynoa is out of options. Soto (RP) still has options. That might change the way that plays out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 05:41 PM)
They'll win 50 games, but then they'll probably win a few more on top of that too.

AL Central is probably worst division in baseball. I think Sox win 60ish

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 09:44 PM)

The Sox made a mistake last season by having John Danks in the rotation to start the season because they were reticient to cut a guy they owed millions of dollars to. So they eventually had to cut him and pay him, but Danks left us with several losses to boot, including the Opening Day loss. Don't make the same mistake. Bite the bullet, eat his salary, and release him.

The White Sox should reprimand all scouts who had any say in acquiring Shields. As cheap as the Sox are, they sure throw away a lot of money due to bad decisions.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 12:00 AM)
Shields' job in 2017 is to get f***ing shelled every start and allow the young pitchers to develop in the minors. I don't care if the Sox make him start every other game, he's crucial in the tanking effort.

Then why not let you pitch or Fathom or Caulfield? Just sign some independent league guys to make sure we lose. I can't imagine anybody with a brain paying money to go to any game Shields pitches at the Cell. Same with Holland for that matter. Why would you pay good money to see those stiffs pitch??

I can't believe those of you who love the draft trust our front office to draft impact player(s). There have been so many busts in the past or guys not worthy of being a No. 1 pick. Just look at the Sox history.

Edited by greg775