FLINT, MICHIGAN

greg775

Folks, I know many despise me and/or think I'm an alarmist/nutjob, but this must be discussed and processed by all. The United States of America, the greatest country ever, knowingly has poisoned and (likely ruined lives) of hordes of people in Flint, Michigan, by knowingly drawing its water (since April of 2014) from a disgustingly polluted body of water.

To save a few bucks, the government went from the beautiful water of the Great Lakes to some disgusting body of water and as a result babies have been poisoned, anybody dumb enough to drink the yellow water all these months has been poisoned.

Heads must roll; people MUST be fired fast and furious and punished to the full extent of the law. Folks, this could be your town, city or municipality. Good clean water knowingly denied citizens of the USA to save a few bucks.

We hear story after story in modern America that inflames and disgusts, but this truly I believe is the worst of all. Government officialls killing the people of Flint Michigan slowly and softly with disgusting water.

I AM FURIOUS over this. The question is, are you? This is the human condition, the human spirit, the USA at stake here! The governor first must be fired, then fast and furious, fire everybody and prosecute.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
Not quite as visible as Flint, but Im sure the southside folk are familiar with what happened in Ceestwood: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_conta...twood,_Illinois

Different set of circumstances but same corruption.

Wow. This reminds me of A Civil Action.

Seems like dry cleaners are a common culprit for polluting groundwater supplies. This same thing occurred in one of the older neighborhoods of Las Vegas...and it seems to be getting swept under the same rug.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)
I only know the story because of Michael Moore and social media. It's Bs and Snyder needs to be prosecuted.

Which is funny, because he ignores EVERYONE who had a chain in this mess up until he gets to the ONE Republican in the line, the Governor, who knew about it last and had absolutely nothing to do with its inception. The local Democrats in the town council? Ignored. The government agencies like the EPA and so on that knew about this? Nothing. But the Gov/ IMPEACH HIM!

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 10:23 PM)
Which is funny, because he ignores EVERYONE who had a chain in this mess up until he gets to the ONE Republican in the line, the Governor, who knew about it last and had absolutely nothing to do with its inception. The local Democrats in the town council? Ignored. The government agencies like the EPA and so on that knew about this? Nothing. But the Gov/ IMPEACH HIM!

IIRC wasn't it a Snyder buddy who made the switch to Flint River water in the first place?

Blame to go all around, though it's worth noting the EPA did in fact fire some people and even admitted to stunningly poor oversight and decision-making in their own agency. I have see nothing like that from the governor, or the state water commission or anyone else.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 11:09 PM)
IIRC wasn't it a Snyder buddy who made the switch to Flint River water in the first place?

I could be mistaken but I thought it was Synder who enacted an emergency management system and his buddy who led that was the one who decided to switch.

i mean who cares what political party they are affiliated with. Fire them all and arrest them all. Why even draw the line and start pointing fingers

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
i mean who cares what political party they are affiliated with. Fire them all and arrest them all. Why even draw the line and start pointing fingers

Yep. It's always some partisan finger pointing with some people. Most people shouldn't care about an R and D; just competency.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
Yep. It's always some partisan finger pointing with some people. Most people shouldn't care about an R and D; just competency.

I will agree with fire them all and spread that blame. Once it actually starts happening to both sides. i would just like to know how ANY of those people can sleep at night. The EPA who knew the water was screwed but did nothing, whoever decided the switch was good to begin with, whoever kept telling the complaining people that there was nothing wrong. I mean, i get that you need a job, but to lie to people'sfaces about something that could be killing them? How do they sleep at night?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
I will agree with fire them all and spread that blame. Once it actually starts happening to both sides. i would just like to know how ANY of those people can sleep at night. The EPA who knew the water was screwed but did nothing, whoever decided the switch was good to begin with, whoever kept telling the complaining people that there was nothing wrong. I mean, i get that you need a job, but to lie to people'sfaces about something that could be killing them? How do they sleep at night?

38112184.png

BRING IT DOWN ON THE WHOEVER IS RESPONSIBLE!

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 11:09 PM)

Snyder had appointed an Emergency Manager to run Flint. Voters in Michigan had repealed the previous Emergency Manager law, but Snyder and the Republican legislature passed a repeal-proof version of the bill almost immediately after that.

So, without minimizing how heartless the decisions were in Flint, just to point out the headline is incorrect. Compared to the worst case of lead poisoning in U.S. history, the case in Flint is tiny. For half a century, oil companies pumped out lead in amounts that make the flint poisoning seem puny, literally poisoning an entire generation. A couple decades ago, almost every kid in the country, particularly in poor or urban areas, was exposed to more lead than is in Flint's water. By a lot. This includes me, and probably everyone reading this. And it took 2 decades of fighting (led by a scientist named Clair Patterson) and the establishment of the EPA before the government stopped listening to the people from industry denying that lead poisoning from leaded gasoline was a problem.

So, without minimizing how heartless the decisions were in Flint, just to point out the headline is incorrect. Compared to the worst case of lead poisoning in U.S. history, the case in Flint is tiny. For half a century, oil companies pumped out lead in amounts that make the flint poisoning seem puny, literally poisoning an entire generation. A couple decades ago, almost every kid in the country, particularly in poor or urban areas, was exposed to more lead than is in Flint's water. By a lot. This includes me, and probably everyone reading this. And it took 2 decades of fighting (led by a scientist named Clair Patterson) and the establishment of the EPA before the government stopped listening to the people from industry denying that lead poisoning from leaded gasoline was a problem.

I think of it more along the lines of "worst" morally rather than "worst" scientifically. Like you said, back then most people didn't know better. I know you're a scientist but I'm just reminding you that "worst" can have other contexts.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
I think of it more along the lines of "worst" morally rather than "worst" scientifically. Like you said, back then most people didn't know better. I know you're a scientist but I'm just reminding you that "worst" can have other contexts.

They absolutely knew better, they just paid enough politicians and people to deny it. It was literally killing people in the 1920s and it took until the 1980s to get rid of it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
Oh yea, Michigan taxpayers totally have the money for that. It is a rich state

How is this clown still governing? Michigan needs to take a page out of Illinois' book and indict this motherf***er and anyone else associated with this.