General Reaction to Tall People

SoxFan1

I've always wondered this for some reason but what is your reaction to seeing tall people in public? I always used to think that they were weird and I'd stare a lot when I was small. I still catch myself doing that once in a while, but then I realize I'm 6'5 myself. Now, I just look and think, "Man, they probably have some bad knees too." What annoys me most is when people ask if I play basketball...ugh, that pisses me off. That, and when I'm a a party or something and people ask me to stand up.

I often ask people at school questions like "Do I stand out in the hallways?" or "Do I look like a giant?" It's just something that has often made me curious. SO what do you think when you see a tall person?

Edited by SoxFan1

I am 6'1" and the shortest of my friends growing up. I never really thought twice about someone being tall unless they where over about 6'10" or also very muscular. Keith Van Horn in a leather trench coat is still the most intimidating human I have ever met.

I didn't think twice until George Gervin started an NBA development team in town, now I look twice in case it is someone who once was famous.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 1, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
I've always wondered this for some reason but what is your reaction to seeing tall people in public? I always used to think that they were weird and I'd stare a lot when I was small. I still catch myself doing that once in a while, but then I realize I'm 6'5 myself. Now, I just look and think, "Man, they probably have some bad knees too." What annoys me most is when people ask if I play basketball...ugh, that pisses me off. That, and when I'm a a party or something and people ask me to stand up.

I often ask people at school questions like "Do I stand out in the hallways?" or "Do I look like a giant?" It's just something that has often made me curious. SO what do you think when you see a tall person?

I'm 6'3" myself, and yeah, the basketball question gets old quick.

For comedy value, my girlfriend barely cracks 5'0".

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 1, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
I'm 6'3" myself, and yeah, the basketball question gets old quick.

For comedy value, my girlfriend barely cracks 5'0".

I'm sure you also get the jokes about tall guys and short girls.

First I ask them how the weather is up there. (That's always an awesome ice-breaker)

Then I challenge them to a slam-dunk contest. (I let them win)

Then I ask them to clean my gutters for me. (Selfish pricks always say no)

Then I think of original nicknames for them like Stretch or Phone Pole or or Stilts or Manute Bol.

They usually get pissed at some point, but I just keep running through their legs and they get frustrated cuz they can't catch me all the way down here.

Then, to be nice, I offer them a ride wherever they're going, and I let them know it's cool cuz my car has a sunroof for their head.

So yeah, we get along.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 1, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
First I ask them how the weather is up there. (That's always an awesome ice-breaker)

Then I challenge them to a slam-dunk contest. (I let them win)

Then I ask them to clean my gutters for me. (Selfish pricks always say no)

Then I think of original nicknames for them like Stretch or Phone Pole or or Stilts or Manute Bol.

They usually get pissed at some point, but I just keep running through their legs and they get frustrated cuz they can't catch me all the way down here.

Then, to be nice, I offer them a ride wherever they're going, and I let them know it's cool cuz my car has a sunroof for their head.

So yeah, we get along.

Winner!

QUOTE(knightni @ May 2, 2007 -> 12:01 AM)
If you made a thread asking for age and height, you'd find very few guys under 30 that are shorter than 5'10".

It's the McDonald's beef/growth hormone conspiracy.

I see why you made the other thread...

I think at 6'5 your just barely at the point where if I see you ill be like that kid is tall but wont really think anything of it. At 6'8 or taller you start to become giganto ;p. Of course im 6'3-6'4 range and ive always been the tallest of my friends. So, when I do happen to see someone taller than me it just feels weird and even if they are only half an inch bigger it seems so much more.

At 6'5" your just tall, but on the same token there are people who are short, too. I just think, hey that guys pretty tall and think nothing more about. But at school when I see 6'5" guys who are big (athletically big) I think I bet he is an O-lineman.

QUOTE(knightni @ May 2, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
My theory's holding water so far.

Hardly anyone less than 5'9"/5'10".

I remember reading once that the average height for a human has gone up over the years. It said that the average man today wouldn't fit in an average-sized suit of armor from the medevil times.