Rotation

1. Kopech

2. Rodon

3. Lopez

4. Dunning

5/RP. Hansen, Giolito, Cease, Adams, Stephens, Guerrero, Clarkin

SU Fulmer

CL Burdi

I think the Sox should start batting Anderson and Moncada 1-2.

This gives them the most at bats and if they hit their ceilings, it's where they fit best.

Anthony Rizzo batted third instantly after the Cubs called him up. Was he the best hitter on the team? No, but the Cubs knew that his ceiling was batting third. I wasn't a fan of moving Anderson out of the lead off spot, in my opinion he should be batting there everyday. If you say that he was hurting the team and costing them games, please answer this question: What are the Sox playing for? They're rebuilding, not competing for a championship. Player development should be the team's #1 focus, especially now in this first year of a rebuild.

Also, all that speed would be fun to watch.

Love future lineup threads. More fun than ever boys & girls!

New to reading about Rutherford but he strikes me as a perfect #2 hitter.

Now when all is said and done and it's 2019-2020, where do you think the team will be lacking?

It's hard to say outfield now.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 02:30 AM)
I think the Sox should start batting Anderson and Moncada 1-2.

This gives them the most at bats and if they hit their ceilings, it's where they fit best.

Anthony Rizzo batted third instantly after the Cubs called him up. Was he the best hitter on the team? No, but the Cubs knew that his ceiling was batting third. I wasn't a fan of moving Anderson out of the lead off spot, in my opinion he should be batting there everyday. If you say that he was hurting the team and costing them games, please answer this question: What are the Sox playing for? They're rebuilding, not competing for a championship. Player development should be the team's #1 focus, especially now in this first year of a rebuild.

Also, all that speed would be fun to watch.

Andersons OBP is way too low to be leadoff. Even if he hits his ceiling he will be a bottom of the order guy when these guys get their due.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:06 AM)
Andersons OBP is way too low to be leadoff. Even if he hits his ceiling he will be a bottom of the order guy when these guys get their due.

In addition, he has really struggled batting 1st compared to 7th.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 03:29 AM)
Love future lineup threads. More fun than ever boys & girls!

New to reading about Rutherford but he strikes me as a perfect #2 hitter.

Now when all is said and done and it's 2019-2020, where do you think the team will be lacking?

It's hard to say outfield now.

if you assume that the sox make no trades and use just this set of prospects:

C

CF

2B (defensively)

3B

Maybe SS

The same weaknesses that have been around for years

They'll be overloaded at corner OF and 1B

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
if you assume that the sox make no trades and use just this set of prospects:

C

CF

2B (defensively)

3B

Maybe SS

The same weaknesses that have been around for years

They'll be overloaded at corner OF and 1B

The Sox never seem to value defense enough. One of the reasons for their lack of success over the years.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
The Sox never seem to value defense enough. One of the reasons for their lack of success over the years.

I do agree with this to a point. I hate being the guy who complains - (Tatis Jr.!!) - but I feel like Hahn is loading up on some very power heavy, low defense guys.

Eloy is supposed to have an arm, but be slow and not a great fielder - so maybe LF. Maybe an Avi/Melky defense is what I envision.

Anderson is rangy but have seen his troubles his whole career minus last year.

Moncada I hear is suspect

Abreu will probably be gone or a DH so that's fine.

Burger already has questions - so is he our 1B? if 3B that kind of scares me.

Rutherford I think is supposed to be rangy with a weaker arm - so maybe a case where he is average like Eaton in CF but really good in RF?

Robert - hard to project as he's still growing but probably a better corner OF

Collins - his knock was D but has been proving ppl wrong. Don't know how he calls a game though.

They always say the best teams have talent up the middle - SS, 2B, CF, C ....

The positives I guess are the arms we are acquiring are generally high power guys. Kopech, Lopez, Gio - those are all KO guys. Not many Buehrle types in our system.

Who knows though. Like always there will be someone who surprises, someone will turn into Jorge Soler, etc.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)

They didn't get any top up the middle talent in any of these moves.

But they can trade for some...they'll have to.

That's why I really think the easy part is done, and the hard part lies ahead.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
They didn't get any top up the middle talent in any of these moves.

But they can trade for some...they'll have to.

That's why I really think the easy part is done, and the hard part lies ahead.

They signed Anderson to a decent contract. Moncada, Robert, Collins.

Yeah, right now our projected up-the-middle is:

2B: Moncada

SS: Anderson

CF: Robert

C: Collins

That's a pretty good starting point. And most likely, we'll have a top 3 to 5 pick in the next two drafts to add another up the middle player or two. While the names can change between now and the draft, a guy like Brice Turang would be a huge get and provide us with an incredibly high end SS prospect.

2018 team could be sneaky good, especially if the Sox keep Avi (though personally I'd rather trade him).

Infield of Narvaez, Abreu, Moncada, Anderson and Delmonico and Yolmer as a utilityman with a kinda patchwork OF of Polo/Leury(probably a FA tbh)/Avi. And there will be midseason reinforcements, Jimenez is closer than his level indicates.

A Rodon/Giolito/Lopez rotation is risky, but the upside there is stratospheric. Not to mention the absolute tidal wave of arms they have coming up behind them.

I don't think they are going to be terrible for very long, this is an org designed for a quick turnaround that builds on itself with a steady amount of call ups between today (Moncada!) and Opening Day 2020.

Collins D has stepped up, plus we have Zavala behind him. And Robert reportedly has enough speed to lose a step and still have plenty of speed for CF. We shall see how Anderson and Moncada progress these next 2 years, we can always add if we need to, and one of them can play CF if that happens. I am not too worried about the up the middle.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
2018 team could be sneaky good, especially if the Sox keep Avi (though personally I'd rather trade him).

Infield of Narvaez, Abreu, Moncada, Anderson and Delmonico and Yolmer as a utilityman with a kinda patchwork OF of Polo/Leury(probably a FA tbh)/Avi. And there will be midseason reinforcements, Jimenez is closer than his level indicates.

A Rodon/Giolito/Lopez rotation is risky, but the upside there is stratospheric. Not to mention the absolute tidal wave of arms they have coming up behind them.

I don't think they are going to be terrible for very long, this is an org designed for a quick turnaround that builds on itself with a steady amount of call ups between today (Moncada!) and Opening Day 2020.

I'm with you on this. Don't think they'll contend, but I'm confused how some people think we'll have a super high draft pick in 2019. Probably 10-15, I'd guess.

Neat list.

Sox have many legit SP candidates coming up ... some may end up in the pen (Burdi, Fulmer). Others (Jordan Stephens) may surprise. Either way there are a ton of options there.

OF looks good, but not overly deep yet. Obviously, Robert/Eloy/Rutherford will draw raves, but after that there are questions. Basabe will boom or bust and players like Tilson, and Polo look like 4th outfielder types. So as long as 2 of the top 3 make it the Sox are probably in good shape in the OF.

The IF is where the Sox still lack depth. Moncado is a stud to be at 2nd, and TA should continue develop at SS, but there is zero depth behind either. Moncado could play 3rd, but the lack of depth at 2nd means that's where I see him going.

So while the rebuild looks good, there is no depth up the middle period. Any one of these guys could get injured or not pan out so moving on adding something up the middle wouldn't hurt.

There are also questions abound at C and the corners, but with potential answers. I am convinced Collins can hit, but am not convinced he can catch at the MLB level. Right now we have Sheets and Burger projected at 1 and 3 respectively. Not sure yet. I believe former-top-prospect-starting-to-figure-it-out-maybe Davidson could loom as one of the few holdovers to be a part of the future. For 1, 3 and DH you are looking at burger, sheets, davidson, and that's not to even mention Avi or Jose. Their long term futures in Chicago, like Davison, could be in or out. Any number of them could DH. I think 1, maybe 2, could be here in 2-3 years when the Sox are really rolling. The Sox are overall probably OK at the corners/DH especially if Collins transitions from catcher. That would leave a huge void at C.

This is where a F/A would help, preferably a Fisk type who can mold young pitchers. Then figure the Sox will add a blue chip in the draft, depending on where you could see more questions being answered

Strengths- Pitching, easily. The Sox are loaded with great arms with no less than 11 with starting pitching upside projections. Two or three are of elite status. The mix of the remaining will fill in rotation or goto the pen. A couple further (Burdi) project to short relief. If a couple 2nd tier OF prospects develop behind the Big 3 the Sox OF looks very promising.

Weakness-Overall middle infield depth and legit defensive/pitch handling catcher. The corners remain a bit of a question mark but overall not in bad shape with Sheets, Burger, the three holdovers mentioned and someone like Delmonico could provide further corner infield depth.

The draft should give more talent and depth and never know what else Hahn will do. I'd like to see another 2nd/SS added to the pipeline, a + defensive catcher at minimum and then I think we're damn close.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
Shortstop.

SS and 3B, IMO.

I don't think Anderson will be able to stick at SS long term and will eventually be moved to CF, I view Davidson as more of a DH than an everyday 3B and I think Burger will end up at 1B/DH by the time he reaches the majors. Sanchez could be average at SS and Moncada would be fine at 3B if he had to move for whatever reason (or CF), but aside from that, there's not many internal options at those positions.

Obviously, that can and likely will change between now and 2019-20.

Edited by Señor Ding-Dong

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)

I don't think Delmonico will be able to play 3B at the ML level or that Polo will be in the majors next year. Aside from that, I agree with your post.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
The IF is where the Sox still lack depth. Moncado is a stud to be at 2nd, and TA should continue develop at SS, but there is zero depth behind either. Moncado could play 3rd, but the lack of depth at 2nd means that's where I see him going.

So while the rebuild looks good, there is no depth up the middle period. Any one of these guys could get injured or not pan out so moving on adding something up the middle wouldn't hurt.

Well, they have Sanchez, Leury, Saladino and Hanson at 2B behind Moncada. That's pretty good depth IMO, plus there's utility types in the high minors like Jake Peter and Eddy Alvarez. I think the lack of depth at SS and 3B is more alarming than 2B.

As far as Moncada, he'll obviously be a stud with the bat, but defensively he profiles as average at 2B. I don't think Anderson will stick at SS longterm, but hopefully I'm wrong. An infield consisting of three below average defenders (1B Abreu/Burger/Sheets, 3B Burger/Davidson and SS Anderson) and one average defender (2B Moncada) doesn't seem like a winning formula to me, despite their bats.

While Ding-Dong is right, we're also writing off most prospects' ability to improve. I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just not ready to write off the rebuild based on performance of prospects right now.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
I'm with you on this. Don't think they'll contend, but I'm confused how some people think we'll have a super high draft pick in 2019. Probably 10-15, I'd guess.

Because we'll have a lineup full of question marks, two massive holes in our rotation, a non-existent bullpen, and several key contributors that will be in their first full season & likely to struggle. Unless the Sox go out and sign some quality free agents, I full expect a bottom five performance next year. 2019 should be much better when that next wave of talent hits and the first group has worked through their growing pains.

I previously posted this on /r/whitesox.

This is the magical Christmas land line up where everyone lives up to the hype. Not likely I know but I enjoy being able to dream on this farms potential.

'19-'20 Batting Order

CF Luis Robert

2B Yoan Moncada#

LF Eloy Jimenez

1B Gavin Sheets*

3B Jake Burger

C Zack Collins*

DH Jose Abreu

RF Blake Rutherford*

SS Tim Anderson

I doubt Abreu goes anywhere; He wants to mentor the youth movement and is a great ambassador for the team. When his arbitration is up I think the sox lock him up for 3 more years with an option. Additionally 1B & DH have had their value become depressed recently, I also doubt Hahn would get a return to warrant trading him.

'19-'20 Rotation

SP Michael Kopech

SP Carlos Rodon*

SP Lucas Giolito

SP Jordan Guerrero*

SP Alec Hansen

This system is deep in pitching and its almost getting to the point where you can put their names in a hat and not feel bad with what you pull out; Lopez, Dunning, Cease, Fulmer, Adams, Stephens & Clarkin, and that isn't including the '17 draft class.

I've been blown away with how quickly Hahn was able to navigate the talent acquisition phase. The system is a great blend of high ceiling and moderate floor, specifically Collins, Burger, Sheets, Gonzalez, Skoug, Fisher, Call & Mendick and the dearth of pitching talent.

There are some solid major league growth assets in Rodon & Anderson even with down years and some of the younger players might develop into 2-2.5WAR regulars: Yolmer Sanchez, Leury Garcia, Adam Engel & Matt Davidson, that was something that was desperately missed with the recent roster constructions with Sale, Q & Eaton, stars & scrubs with out a sufficent amount of average major league players and depth. There are some interesting players near mlb ready in Delmonico, Liriano, Willy Garcia & the recently acquired Polo that might stick and turn into something as well.

Finally they still have one asset they can sell high and likely cash in for another top 100 prospect in Avi. They will be at the front of the line for wavier claims; like Alen Hansen. They will likely have a top 5 pick in '18 & '19 and complement that with the rule V and major league roster space to stash them. It would be wonderful if they hit the lotto and land the next Odubel Herrera or Joakim Soria. Lastly they will have a plenty of money for the upcoming stacked free agent classes that can supplement this roster going into their window, their adjusted payroll for 2019 is 5.6 million before any arbitration or free agent signings.