When is rock bottom of the rebuild: 2017 or 2018?

Dominikk85

At some point it should go up again but when is the bottom reached?

Will 2018 be an even worse tank year? I could see it making sense to really load up on rule 5 picks next december and hope one becomes odubel herrera or quintana and sticks.

I think realistically moncada contributes next year but none of the other prospects will be up yet so there isnt much to expect from that plus you play a whole year without quintana, frazier and a bullpen.

Also another top3 pick in 2019 could make the sox system maybe the best ever.

In 2019 then the guys slowly should arrive so that the sox slowly get better again with high 70 wins and then maybe make a cubs 2015 like splash in 2020.

Do you agree with that timeline? What should the plan be for next offseason?

I think they should maybe sign a couple cheap buy low veteran pitchers (starters and bp) that could bounce back and then be flipped for farm depth pieces next deadline. Also as I mentioned I think 2 or 3 rule 5 guys wouldn't be a bad idea.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
At some point it should go up again but when is the bottom reached?

Will 2018 be an even worse tank year? I could see it making sense to really load up on rule 5 picks next december and hope one becomes odubel herrera or quintana and sticks.

I think realistically moncada contributes next year but none of the other prospects will be up yet so there isnt much to expect from that plus you play a whole year without quintana, frazier and a bullpen.

Also another top3 pick in 2019 could make the sox system maybe the best ever.

In 2019 then the guys slowly should arrive so that the sox slowly get better again with high 70 wins and then maybe make a cubs 2015 like splash in 2020.

Do you agree with that timeline? What should the plan be for next offseason?

I think they should maybe sign a couple cheap buy low veteran pitchers (starters and bp) that could bounce back and then be flipped for farm depth pieces next deadline. Also as I mentioned I think 2 or 3 rule 5 guys wouldn't be a bad idea.

The next two months are going to be a rough ride as the White Sox will struggle in nearly every aspect of the game. Losses will pile up propelling us to a top 3 draft pick.

In the offseason we will be active in the rule 5 draft, and possibly minor free agent signings similar to Holland to fill out our roster. We have dealt most of our major trade chips, but Sox will be open to more moves if the right deal comes across.

2018 will also be a struggle, although we should start to see some of the fruits of the farm emerge as players like Lopez, Moncada, etc. will get a to continue their development at the mlb level. Expect plenty of losses and an ugly season similar to 2017. Look for progress through our farm system as players in low A/high A ball ideally get promoted up the ladder and continue developing.

Offseason after 2018 should be when we start to get very active with free agents.

2019 season should be a step forward, ideally back to around .500 baseball, possibly better if everything breaks right.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
Isn't that the fun of watching as they make their debuts?

Totally, I am only partially being serious.

But it could also be somewhat torturous once they go through the eventual growing pains and everyone doubts they are even major leaguers. LOL

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
Eh you'll get to watch Rey and Gio and Yoan on a regular basis.

I agree.

I think the worst is likely over.

I know I will enjoy watching Moncada and the SP start to develop.

This past 3 months, while a bit exciting due to Avi and Davidson and others playing well, was nervewracking. I didn't like the way Q was going. I am very happy that we've gotten good returns for all of our key assets.

Now we can enjoy on watching some of these guys grow up in front of our eyes.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
I agree.

I think the worst is likely over.

I know I will enjoy watching Moncada and the SP start to develop.

This past 3 months, while a bit exciting due to Avi and Davidson and others playing well, was nervewracking. I didn't like the way Q was going. I am very happy that we've gotten good returns for all of our key assets.

Now we can enjoy on watching some of these guys grow up in front of our eyes.

The worst, most unwatchable baseball overall will probably be the next 3 months. Close your eyes when all but ~3 guys are playing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
The worst, most unwatchable baseball overall will probably be the next 3 months. Close your eyes when all but ~3 guys are playing.

Yeah, I didn't mean the quality of play.

I guess I read this more as in terms of misery for the fans.

I don't care about losing...I just want to have a reason to watch.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 07:08 PM)
The next two months are going to be a rough ride as the White Sox will struggle in nearly every aspect of the game. Losses will pile up propelling us to a top 3 draft pick.

In the offseason we will be active in the rule 5 draft, and possibly minor free agent signings similar to Holland to fill out our roster. We have dealt most of our major trade chips, but Sox will be open to more moves if the right deal comes across.

2018 will also be a struggle, although we should start to see some of the fruits of the farm emerge as players like Lopez, Moncada, etc. will get a to continue their development at the mlb level. Expect plenty of losses and an ugly season similar to 2017. Look for progress through our farm system as players in low A/high A ball ideally get promoted up the ladder and continue developing.

Offseason after 2018 should be when we start to get very active with free agents.

2019 season should be a step forward, ideally back to around .500 baseball, possibly better if everything breaks right.

You lost me with us being active in rule V draft. You might find one prospect who is young but needs to stay the whole year with the big club.

I'd say whatever our win-loss record is at the end of this year, subtract another 5 for next season and potentially far worse. I'm not overly optimistic we'll see significant production from our current prospect stock next year. Which means if we have any quality production next year it'll be from guys like Sanchez, Garcia, Abreu and thus they'll likely have trade value and we'll likely trade them. You probably don't stop trading our current vets until the new stock of prospects start to show a noticeable level of mlb production (2019). Then consider filling out the roster with free agency in 2020.

I think 2017 and 2018 we can expect Top 3 maybe Top 4 for picks. I think next year will be harder though as development paths can be frustrating to watch as points where guy will falter, or settle into a lesser player than we originally thought.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
You lost me with us being active in rule V draft. You might find one prospect who is young but needs to stay the whole year with the big club.

Well, hate to break it to you, but they'll be active in the Rule 5 draft. They'll take at least one if not two guys.

I see next year as a contention year. The sell off is over and it's not worth throwing away entire years to get one draft pick, especially in baseball where the draft is even more of a crapshoot. Don't have a problem with doing it this year, but all the Sox top assets next year will be future cornerstones that won't be traded away.

Theyve done a great job building a talent pipeline for the next three years, no point in just sitting around waiting for Rutherford or Robert. They've got Moncada up now, Giolito and Lopez aren't far behind and Dunning, Jimenez and Kopech will probably debut next year. Try to win around that, so when Robert, Rutherford, Burger, Hansen, Burdi etc. come up they are piling onto what is (hopefully) an already successful group.

Knowing Hahn and Kenny I think this is their plan. Expect to be around .500 in 2018 and start really going for it in 2019 with their eyes on the prize.

The worst will be when players struggle.

But last night I had a lot of fun following our minor league teams. I expect I'll have some fun with that next year too. I'm prepared for what's to come, but yeah, sometimes you still just want to watch a good game where your team comes out ahead. And that may be some time.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)

The Yankees has quite a few players for example that might end up being exposed to the Rule V draft because of a lack of room on the 40 man roster

http://bronxpinstripes.com/minor-leagues/t...e-5-candidates/

It would be in our best interest to scour the rule V draft and see if we can emerge with a piece that sticks for us? Can't hurt while rebuilding.

2018 will be much worse than 2017. If you have been in the minors threads, just wait till one of the prospects comes up and struggles or fails. It can be mitigated by assets we sign off the scrap heap. Our medical staff and Coop should be an asset and very busy. We need a couple pitchers to lessen hurrying prospects. Shields will be the babysitter, maybe bring back Holland who seems like the typical weird LHP who might help in a clubhouse. Same for Gonzales though I wouldn't pay much for either. FA who don't sign early can be picked up cheap and know if they perform they could end up on a contender. We will rebuild the value of Jones, Putnam, and Petricka and move ASAP.