Projecting the org depth chart and affiliate assignments

NorthSideSox72

We did this last year and it was surprisingly popular, so here we go again.

Here are my best guesses as to which players will end up assigned where, along with lists of players that just don't seem to fit anywhere. I covered the minor league teams a little more heavily than the MLB club, but every player in MLB and stateside affiliates is listed in this article. Unless I missed someone.

Who did I miss? Who do you think will be somewhere else, and why?

Very nicely done. I was wondering in regards to the bullpen candidates for MLB and AAA, who has options left or importantly is out of options? With some of the trade rumors, I always wonder about some of that depth could be used to help a deal get done. Not as a significant piece but if several guys may/are going to be lost passing thru waivers it is easier to include one of them in a deal.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)

Here are my best guesses as to which players will end up assigned where, along with lists of players that just don't seem to fit anywhere. I covered the minor league teams a little more heavily than the MLB club, but every player in MLB and stateside affiliates is listed in this article. Unless I missed someone.

I had banks as one of the Hi A starters. Is he too old to be given those innings?

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
Very nicely done. I was wondering in regards to the bullpen candidates for MLB and AAA, who has options left or importantly is out of options? With some of the trade rumors, I always wonder about some of that depth could be used to help a deal get done. Not as a significant piece but if several guys may/are going to be lost passing thru waivers it is easier to include one of them in a deal.

According to RosterResource, the following guys are out of options:

- Carlos Sanchez

- Rymer Liriano

- Michael Ynoa

- Matt Davidson

- Leary Garcia

The options only affects guys on the 40-man, ST invitees don't get affected by them unless I am mistake.

QUOTE (Dubzinski rules @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)
I had banks as one of the Hi A starters. Is he too old to be given those innings?

Not too old, but good call on me forgetting him. I can't imagine replacing any of the A+ starters (or AA ones) with him though. Who in those rotations would you drop in favor of Banks?

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
According to RosterResource, the following guys are out of options:

- Carlos Sanchez

- Rymer Liriano

- Michael Ynoa

- Matt Davidson

- Leary Garcia

The options only affects guys on the 40-man, ST invitees don't get affected by them unless I am mistake.

Yeah, I think that supports the choices of Ynoa and Liriano, but not sure what to do with Davidson. Leury Garcia is just not a major league ballplayer in my view and I think he goes to Charlotte or gets traded/claimed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
Yeah, I think that supports the choices of Ynoa and Liriano, but not sure what to do with Davidson. Leury Garcia is just not a major league ballplayer in my view and I think he goes to Charlotte or gets traded/claimed.

I agreed with the choice of Liriano. I think the Sox give him a shot unless he blows this spring. I still have a gut feeling Davidson sticks as the 25th guy though over Sanchez and Garcia.

Obviously there are a plethora of guys that could make the team, especially on the pitching side of things.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
Not too old, but good call on me forgetting him. I can't imagine replacing any of the A+ starters (or AA ones) with him though. Who in those rotations would you drop in favor of Banks?

I had Lowry and Banks in Hi A and didn't have Lambert or Fry. I liked Fry until the arm injuries. Did he have two TJSs or just one? I don't know much about Lambert.

I had Burdi in my AA rotation thinking the Sox wouldn't need him in 2017 and he could get more reps that way. What do you like about Lambert?

Nice job as always. Only have three comments:

1) Davidson is very likely to be on the major league roster, not sure Sanchez makes the cut

2) Sounds like Victor Diaz may be starting next year based on some comments from SoxFest

3) I hope to god that Adolfo doesn't start the year in A+, would be bad for his development IMO

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)

Thank you for this. I work in Kinston, NC and we just got our Single A Carolina League team back after many years of no baseball after the Indians Single A left. The Down East Wood Ducks are the Rangers Single A affiliate.

Winston Salem will be our opening series and I will be there with my 10 year old son with our White Sox gear. We can start planning for our autographs now. Plan to make every series that the Sox are playing in and can give some reports back to the board.

QUOTE (Dubzinski rules @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)
I had Lowry and Banks in Hi A and didn't have Lambert or Fry. I liked Fry until the arm injuries. Did he have two TJSs or just one? I don't know much about Lambert.

I had Burdi in my AA rotation thinking the Sox wouldn't need him in 2017 and he could get more reps that way. What do you like about Lambert?

oops

Lowry had a pretty good 2016 in High A and actually made 4 starts in AA to end the season, so I kinda doubt they send him back down a level. Banks could very possibly be in that High A rotation, I just forgot to include him in my very large list of players accidentally.

Fry has had 2 TJS', but he's a guy the Sox are still very keen on, so I put him where he ended before the injury. The Sox have made pretty clear they see Burdi as a reliever.

Lambert was a 5th round pick and signed near slot last year, so he's going to be a priority arm. Question is, Kanny or W-S? He did get in 11 starts in Kanny, some of his peripherals were good but he got hit a little bit. He'll be in one of those rotations.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 07:11 PM)
Nice job as always. Only have three comments:

1) Davidson is very likely to be on the major league roster, not sure Sanchez makes the cut

2) Sounds like Victor Diaz may be starting next year based on some comments from SoxFest

3) I hope to god that Adolfo doesn't start the year in A+, would be bad for his development IMO

Thanks!

You could be right on Davidson, and Sanchez seems like the kind of player the Sox might trade for a B-level flier prospect during ST.

Diaz I've heard both sides on his starting or not, but this team does like to have key relievers start for a year or two early on - he could very well fit that profile, it wouldn't surprise me. If that happens, you might see Thompson go to the pen, which I think is his ultimate home.

Adolfo as well as Antonio Rodriguez are tough calls for me, Kanny vs W-S. Rodriguez is older (going into age 21/22 season) and got in 120+ games in KAN, but he struggled pretty badly and actually got worse as the year went on. Adolfo is about a year younger and only had 60+ games in KAN, but that was due to injury and actually got better as the year went on, with his overall results and K-rate improving to their best in August/September. Honestly, you can flip a coin with both of them on which A-ball club they open at. Given that Jackson Glines will turn 25 during the 2017 season and hit PIO pitchers hard, they might have him double-promote to W-S.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
Lowry had a pretty good 2016 in High A and actually made 4 starts in AA to end the season, so I kinda doubt they send him back down a level. Banks could very possibly be in that High A rotation, I just forgot to include him in my very large list of players accidentally.

Fry has had 2 TJS', but he's a guy the Sox are still very keen on, so I put him where he ended before the injury. The Sox have made pretty clear they see Burdi as a reliever.

Lambert was a 5th round pick and signed near slot last year, so he's going to be a priority arm. Question is, Kanny or W-S? He did get in 11 starts in Kanny, some of his peripherals were good but he got hit a little bit. He'll be in one of those rotations.

Thanks!

You could be right on Davidson, and Sanchez seems like the kind of player the Sox might trade for a B-level flier prospect during ST.

Diaz I've heard both sides on his starting or not, but this team does like to have key relievers start for a year or two early on - he could very well fit that profile, it wouldn't surprise me. If that happens, you might see Thompson go to the pen, which I think is his ultimate home.

Adolfo as well as Antonio Rodriguez are tough calls for me, Kanny vs W-S. Rodriguez is older (going into age 21/22 season) and got in 120+ games in KAN, but he struggled pretty badly and actually got worse as the year went on. Adolfo is about a year younger and only had 60+ games in KAN, but that was due to injury and actually got better as the year went on, with his overall results and K-rate improving to their best in August/September. Honestly, you can flip a coin with both of them on which A-ball club they open at. Given that Jackson Glines will turn 25 during the 2017 season and hit PIO pitchers hard, they might have him double-promote to W-S.

Could totally see Sanchez being traded for cash consideration or a PTBNL towards the end of spring training.

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 08:38 PM)
Thank you for this. I work in Kinston, NC and we just got our Single A Carolina League team back after many years of no baseball after the Indians Single A left. The Down East Wood Ducks are the Rangers Single A affiliate.

Winston Salem will be our opening series and I will be there with my 10 year old son with our White Sox gear. We can start planning for our autographs now. Plan to make every series that the Sox are playing in and can give some reports back to the board.

'Nice, I'm going to catch Down East Wood Ducks v. W-S in W-S in may.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
This all looked pretty great except for Birmingham's lineup.

Yeah, that's a crowd of Moment of Truth guys. Either because they are repeating and starting to fall, or are fringy and have a last shot at showing they belong. You hope one or two of them make a leap, just on odds, but as a whole they will probably not be good.