Any Fishing Fanatics Here?

Wanne

I've been trying to hit it hard again (but been having too much downtime due to being Africa-hot out here in AZ)...but starting to hit it more again gearing up for fall. I've been primarily doing it from a kayak...which has really been a blast...but does have it's downsides out here. Not too many good places to go close by mostly. Debating whether to upgrade my kayak...or just splurge on a boat here this year. Getting out on the yaks tho is a blast and nice exercise. We're hitting the Salt River this weekend and plan on flipping some Senkos.

One thing I might try the next month tho that's relatively new to me is Neko Rigging...which is primarily a Wacky Rig with a nail weight in the nose (using an O-ring).

Another...which not many people have done out here but starting to at the smally lakes....using the TRDs on a mushroom head.

I love to go fishing. I tell myself every year that I'm going to fish more than I did the year before, but I never seem to get out as much as I'd like. I am making a more conscious effort this year, especially now that I've got my son a lot more interested.

When I lived in NC and AK, I fished several times a week. And in both those places I knew where to go, what to use for bait, etc. I'm still trying to figure out where to fish around here. I spend a good amount of time on the DuPage River in Shorewood and Joliet. Tried a few ponds and actually found a pond very close to the house that is chock full of bullheads with even a few big ones. My son caught a 4-5 pounder, which is what I think really got him excited about fishing. We spent the day at Milliken Lake yesterday. Caught a few small carp and one bass.

I'm still looking for more spots to try. I don't really care what I catch. But my son wants to catch a big carp...so that's my mission now.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 5, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
I love to go fishing. I tell myself every year that I'm going to fish more than I did the year before, but I never seem to get out as much as I'd like. I am making a more conscious effort this year, especially now that I've got my son a lot more interested.

When I lived in NC and AK, I fished several times a week. And in both those places I knew where to go, what to use for bait, etc. I'm still trying to figure out where to fish around here. I spend a good amount of time on the DuPage River in Shorewood and Joliet. Tried a few ponds and actually found a pond very close to the house that is chock full of bullheads with even a few big ones. My son caught a 4-5 pounder, which is what I think really got him excited about fishing. We spent the day at Milliken Lake yesterday. Caught a few small carp and one bass.

I'm still looking for more spots to try. I don't really care what I catch. But my son wants to catch a big carp...so that's my mission now.

I used to make that drive down to Bartlett Lake for some of those monster black crappie in the coves. Growing up back there...river fishing...as sell as the stone quarries were a ton of fun. There's a little lake north of LeRoy I used to hit too...Dawson Lake (believe it's called Moraine View State Park IIRC) that I pulled some nice fish out of. Out here...if there's any water at all...it gets inundated rather quickly.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 5, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
I'm pretty into fishing, primarily bass, but I'll go after Northern/Muskies, too. In the south, I tend to like catfishing.

A few years back I met a guy out here...we were trailering our pontoons at the same time and struck up a convo. Dude had the wackiest set up...actually lengthened his pontoon...put a sink he pumped water out of the lake for...had a big nasty lazy boy recliner on it lol...but it was set up for BIG cats! He told me what he does...for the 15-18lbers he'd use blue gills or small pan fish and cut the fins and score them. What he'd usually go for (and he holds the state record out here for flathead...his nickname is Flathead Ed lol...Ed Wilcoxson)..he's use a 2-3lb carp and do the same thing...cut fins and score.

I agree tho...sitting back fishing at night with a beer...can't beat that!

• 2 weeks later...

I caught my first bass on a fly and fly rod last weekend.

I fished tournaments with Anglers Unlimited in the 80s and 90s. Lots of bass and walleye in the Chain and into Wisconsin. Now I'm near the gulf and well saltwater kicks ass for fishing.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 07:50 PM)
I caught my first bass on a fly and fly rod last weekend.

I fished tournaments with Anglers Unlimited in the 80s and 90s. Lots of bass and walleye in the Chain and into Wisconsin. Now I'm near the gulf and well saltwater kicks ass for fishing.

Fly rod huh? I've got the Fishing Network (which I friggin LOVE)...and always thought about trying that...but good lord that looks like a pain! I don't know...maybe in these NW rolling rivers they show...that's the ticket...but just looks like a ton of work. But kudos to you Tex for gettin' on that horse!

Saltwater does kick ass btw. One of my favorite things to do it head to San Diego (it's close) during yellow tail season. Any kind of fishing kicks ass IMO. One thing I'm delving in this weekend are some tubes. I've never really used...or tried them...but they make sense. I'm on this site called Wired2Fish...and they have a ton of vids for techniques...and I came across some tube ones last week. So gonna give it a whirl.

I'm still getting used to the kayak fishing. It's kind of a pain in the ass...with very limited room. I lost a really nice bass this weekend on a YUM Dinger....got it right up to my yak and it popped off. I stewed for an hour lol...

thought I'd share this pic...took this when we took off down the Salt River last week. What's cool is they have TONS of wild horses up and own the river there. And being the dopes the State of AZ are...they had this plan to round them all up and either kill some...sell some...or whatever...and people found out about it and went nuts! And smartly...they decided to leave them alone. But really gorgeous views up and down the Salt out here...and fishing in some spots is pretty good for bass.

11lnfac.jpg

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 06:24 PM)
Fly rod huh? I've got the Fishing Network (which I friggin LOVE)...and always thought about trying that...but good lord that looks like a pain! I don't know...maybe in these NW rolling rivers they show...that's the ticket...but just looks like a ton of work. But kudos to you Tex for gettin' on that horse!

Saltwater does kick ass btw. One of my favorite things to do it head to San Diego (it's close) during yellow tail season. Any kind of fishing kicks ass IMO. One thing I'm delving in this weekend are some tubes. I've never really used...or tried them...but they make sense. I'm on this site called Wired2Fish...and they have a ton of vids for techniques...and I came across some tube ones last week. So gonna give it a whirl.

I'm still getting used to the kayak fishing. It's kind of a pain in the ass...with very limited room. I lost a really nice bass this weekend on a YUM Dinger....got it right up to my yak and it popped off. I stewed for an hour lol...

Waiting for the line to load the rod on the backcast was the most difficult thing for me. The delay between a spinning rod or casting rod loading and a fly rod is about 10 to 1.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 06:42 PM)
thought I'd share this pic...took this when we took off down the Salt River last week. What's cool is they have TONS of wild horses up and own the river there. And being the dopes the State of AZ are...they had this plan to round them all up and either kill some...sell some...or whatever...and people found out about it and went nuts! And smartly...they decided to leave them alone. But really gorgeous views up and down the Salt out here...and fishing in some spots is pretty good for bass.

11lnfac.jpg

Very cool! Sounds like a great spot.

I got into fly fishing about 2 years ago. I don't get to go nearly as often as I'd like (or catch fish as often as I'd like :) ), but I always enjoy it. Love being outdoors, as well as the challenge of finding news spots, figuring out what flies work and where, etc.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 06:29 AM)
Very cool! Sounds like a great spot.

I got into fly fishing about 2 years ago. I don't get to go nearly as often as I'd like (or catch fish as often as I'd like :) ), but I always enjoy it. Love being outdoors, as well as the challenge of finding news spots, figuring out what flies work and where, etc.

I'm kind of getting the itch to try it. I spent the last week down in Arkansas on the White River (which I'm really hoping to move there at some point in the next few years)...but studying some people that were fly fishing and chatted with a few. We did pretty well with our bubble gum trout worms with white power bait eggs tho! I flipped a small crawdad crankbait too and got a few as well. What a beautiful part of the country...good lord. We kayaked down a few times also...but this was out view a lot of the time. Doesn't get much better than that...

16260r5.jpg

o767wx.jpg

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
I'm kind of getting the itch to try it. I spent the last week down in Arkansas on the White River (which I'm really hoping to move there at some point in the next few years)...but studying some people that were fly fishing and chatted with a few. We did pretty well with our bubble gum trout worms with white power bait eggs tho! I flipped a small crawdad crankbait too and got a few as well. What a beautiful part of the country...good lord. We kayaked down a few times also...but this was out view a lot of the time. Doesn't get much better than that...

16260r5.jpg

o767wx.jpg

Ah, that's beautiful. I got this happy feeling just seeing it. When I move back to the U.S. (should be back in Feb 2019), I'm going to make a point to start travelling to more areas of the country to fish.

• 3 years later...

Bumping this thread as I like to fish too. Mainly fly fishing from may till October for trout and some european species that probably don't exist in the US and when it is colder I'm usually fishing jigs and rigs with rubber bait mostly for perch.

I rarely catch something big though, usually only fishes until 12-13 inch and often smaller than that. But with light tackle like a class 3 fly rod or an ul casting rod it still is fun.