Hall of Fame elects Johnson, Martinez, Biggio, Smoltz

southsider2k5

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 3m3 minutes ago

Randy Johnson gets in at 97.1 percent. Pedro Martinez at 91.1 percent. John Smoltz at 82.9 percent and Craig Biggio at 82.7 percent.

Mike Piazza was at 69.9 percent. He'll be in next year. Jeff Bagwell at 55.7 percent and Tim Raines at 55 percent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)

Randy Johnson gets in at 97.1 percent. Pedro Martinez at 91.1 percent. John Smoltz at 82.9 percent and Craig Biggio at 82.7 percent.

Mike Piazza was at 69.9 percent. He'll be in next year. Jeff Bagwell at 55.7 percent and Tim Raines at 55 percent.

Bagwell and Raines need more love.

Final results

http://baseballhall.org/hof/class-of-2015

Ballots Cast: 549 Needed for Election: 412

Votes Player Percentage

534 Randy Johnson 97.3%

500 Pedro Martinez 91.1%

455 John Smoltz 82.9%

454 Craig Biggio 82.7%

384 Mike Piazza 69.9%

306 Jeff Bagwell 55.7%

302 Tim Raines 55.0%

215 Curt Schilling 39.2%

206 Roger Clemens 37.5%

202 Barry Bonds 36.8%

166 Lee Smith 30.2%

148 Edgar Martinez 27.0%

138 Alan Trammell 25.1%

135 Mike Mussina 24.6%

77 Jeff Kent 14.0%

71 Fred McGriff 12.9%

65 Larry Walker 11.8%

64 Gary Sheffield 11.7%

55 Mark McGwire 10.0%

50 Don Mattingly 9.1%

36 Sammy Sosa 6.6%

30 Nomar Garciaparra 5.5%

21 Carlos Delgado 3.8%

4 Troy Percival 0.7%

2 Aaron Boone 0.4%

2 Tom Gordon 0.4%

1 Darin Erstad 0.2%

0 Rich Aurilia 0.0%

0 Tony Clark 0.0%

0 Jermaine Dye 0.0%

0 Cliff Floyd 0.0%

0 Brian Giles 0.0%

0 Eddie Guardado 0.0%

0 Jason Schmidt 0.0%

*All candidates in italics received less than 5% of the vote on ballots cast and will be removed from future BBWAA consideration

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)

8.9 % of the voters should lose their voting privileges forever.

Wish Larry Walker would get a little more love.

Hell, there are a lot of guys on here I wish would get more love. Troy Percival, a good but unspectacular closer, should not have received votes at all. Same with Tom Gordon. Not the same with Aaron Boone who should have never been on the ballot in the first place but received votes because he hit a home run off Tim Wakefield. I mean, are they going to put Travis Ishikawa on the ballot too? I liked watching both of those guys, but they did not deserve Hall of Fame votes and merely got them because a writer saw them on the ballot and thought to themselves "Hey, I remember that fastball/curveball! I'm giving him a vote!"

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
8.9 % of the voters should lose their voting privileges forever.

You can say that, but with so many ballots made public before other voters had to mail their own, there were probably a lot of strategy votes. Meaning, Randy and Pedro are getting in no matter what, I'll vote for Jeff Kent or Carlos Delgado to help their 5% case.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 9m9 minutes ago

Biggest HOF voting jumps: Schilling up 48 votes, Raines up 39, Piazza up 29. Biggest drops: Kent minus-10, McGwire minus-8, Smith minus-5

I hope that d-bag never makes it in, even though his career numbers warrant him a spot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
Sounds like a decent amount of voters didn't vote for the sure fire guys so that they could vote for fringe guys, and still make the 10 vote limit.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
You can say that, but with so many ballots made public before other voters had to mail their own, there were probably a lot of strategy votes. Meaning, Randy and Pedro are getting in no matter what, I'll vote for Jeff Kent or Carlos Delgado to help their 5% case.

I get that, and that's more acceptable than the anti 1st ballot old-timers. It just doesn't seem to right to have nearly 1 on 10 ballots saying that Pedro Martinez is not a Hall of Famer.

With it being McGwire's last year next year, hopefully more will look at him as a wasted vote and Raines will get some more traction over the next two years.

Griffey is the only lock next year, with Jim Edmonds, Billy Wagner, and Trevor Hoffman there too.

2 years from now-- Ivan Rodriguez, Manny, Vlad, and Posada are the notables.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
With it being McGwire's last year next year, hopefully more will look at him as a wasted vote and Raines will get some more traction over the next two years.

Griffey is the only lock next year, with Jim Edmonds, Billy Wagner, and Trevor Hoffman there too.

2 years from now-- Ivan Rodriguez, Manny, Vlad, and Posada are the notables.

Ivan Rodriguez will be an interesting case. The guy was as obvious of a PED user as there ever was but it seems like everybody just forgets about it the same way they do with Ortiz.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
With out looking at his numbers was Jim Edmonds really that good? Always seemed like a good not great player to me but like I said, I haven't looked at any of his stats.

He hit home runs and played really good defense. So that at least garners some merit.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
With out looking at his numbers was Jim Edmonds really that good? Always seemed like a good not great player to me but like I said, I haven't looked at any of his stats.

Edmonds was better than a lot of people give him credit for. He had an 11 year peak in which he averaged 32 HRs, 95 RBIs a slash of .293/.388/.554 and an average fWAR of nearly 6. Add 8 Gold Gloves to the mix and he absolutely deserves to be in the HOF discussion. I don't think he will make it as he didn't achieve really any of the "counting" numbers that voters look for and only finished in the top 10 of MVP voting twice. He only averaged around 125 games played per season which cost him a couple seasons worth of games. Had he stayed healthier he probably would have made it.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Ivan Rodriguez will be an interesting case. The guy was as obvious of a PED user as there ever was but it seems like everybody just forgets about it the same way they do with Ortiz.

Pretty sure he was in one of the steroid reports.

Really happy to see Johnson and Smoltz make the HOF. I was just a sophomore in HS when they were rookies and loved watching their highlights throughout their careers. I remember sitting in a pool hall drinking one night and watched Johnson K something like 19 Sox hitters. Many, many beers were downed that night.

I'm fine with Biggio and Pedro too. Pedro was pretty filthy and loved watching him pitch against the cubs when the Expos were in town.