Source: Scherzer to Nationals

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
Cotillo tweeting that industry thinks Nats are moving in on Scherzer. Could move Zimmermann.

Zimmermann to the Cubs would make sense like it was rumored to be earlier in the off season.

I could see a deal around Baez and Almora.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
I'd rather him go to the Nationals. That rotation would be so much fun to watch.

Well if they plan on trading Zimmerman I think the rotation is basically the same unless they getting something good in return. I don't think Max is much better then Zimmerman

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
Why are the Nationals so antsy to trade a SP? That rotation would be the best in baseball without question.

Strasburg

Scherzer

Zimmerman

Fisher

Gio

Wow.

Because they also have University of Illinois product Tanner Roark, who is only 28, who was 15-10 with a 2.81 ERA last year.

They could get quite a bit for Zimmermann since he only has one year left to replenish that farm system.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
Why are the Nationals so antsy to trade a SP? That rotation would be the best in baseball without question.

Strasburg

Scherzer

Zimmerman

Fisher

Gio

Wow.

Because they have Roark to find a spot for, and Zimmermann only had 1 year left and is somewhat expensive. If they are going to move him though, it better be to improve their major league team, because they are CLEARLY the best team in the NL right now. May as well shift around your talent rather than downgrade and improve your farm system. I would hope they'd trade Zimmermann for a 2B or some bullpen help.

MONDAY 10:40am: Scherzer will receive $210MM for seven years of work, but the contract has a very unusual structure, with Scherzer receiving $15MM per season for the next 14 years, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. That means the Nationals will be paying Scherzer through 2028. Also, Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan tweets that the deal includes a $50MM signing bonus that will be paid out “over a portion of time” for tax reasons. That bonus would, presumably, be included in the $210MM total.