Matt Davidson

hi8is

Pick a date  

32 members have voted

1. 1. When will the Sox call up their future third baseman?

• April 25th
    • May 2nd
    • May 15th
    • May 30th
    • June 1st
    • June 15th
    • June 30th
    • July 1st
    • July 15th
    • September

This makes it pretty explicit:

"Davidson is in a bit of a similar position. Thanks to those almost two months in the majors last season with the Diamondbacks, he's got 50 days of service. If he is on the Opening Day roster, and remains on it the whole season, he'll have accrued well over a year of service time and be on track to be a free agent after the 2019 season. But, if instead the White Sox have him "work on some things" at Charlotte until 61 days have passed, he won't and the White Sox will control him until through 2020."

From the SSS article about service time.

61 days is right around June 1st.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 12:16 AM)
He'll still see major league action this year of course, but I think Conor Gillaspie will have an, at the very least, marginally better major league career. (I don't see him panning out like everyone else thinks it's a sure thing)

Well that's quite the shot in the dark

Well that's quite the shot in the dark

As it always is with prospects. I might just want to be contrarian because the last board I was at everyone thought he was automatically going to come into the major leagues and kill it, but he just isn't that elite prospect some think he is. I'm just not a fan of high strike out rates. BBR has him at 134SO/443ABs in AAA Reno last year, 30% of his at bats, and 27% of his plate appearances. I'm don't want another high power high strikeout guy. Hopefully he gets better in the minors, and he can, but I don't see him being impressive if he comes up this year.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 06:43 AM)
As it always is with prospects. I might just want to be contrarian because the last board I was at everyone thought he was automatically going to come into the major leagues and kill it, but he just isn't that elite prospect some think he is. I'm just not a fan of high strike out rates. BBR has him at 134SO/443ABs in AAA Reno last year, 30% of his at bats, and 27% of his plate appearances. I'm don't want another high power high strikeout guy. Hopefully he gets better in the minors, and he can, but I don't see him being impressive if he comes up this year.

He isn't a sure thing unless he can clear up his D. I think it's worth emphasizing his AAA was a down year. His AA season in a tougher league for hitters is the hope for him. He deserves time to adjust.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 10:43 PM)
This makes it pretty explicit:

"Davidson is in a bit of a similar position. Thanks to those almost two months in the majors last season with the Diamondbacks, he's got 50 days of service. If he is on the Opening Day roster, and remains on it the whole season, he'll have accrued well over a year of service time and be on track to be a free agent after the 2019 season. But, if instead the White Sox have him "work on some things" at Charlotte until 61 days have passed, he won't and the White Sox will control him until through 2020."

From the SSS article about service time.

61 days is right around June 1st.

That's not exactly how it works any more, it's difficult to impossible to project how many days it will require to be a free agent in 2020 at this point because the super-2 deadline is based on the numbers for all guys who are called up and qualify.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
That's not exactly how it works any more, it's difficult to impossible to project how many days it will require to be a free agent in 2020 at this point because the super-2 deadline is based on the numbers for all guys who are called up and qualify.

Super 2 has nothing to do with his free agent status. If a player qualifies for super 2 then they're arbitration eligible after 2+ seasons and get 4 years of arbitration instead of the standard 3. It has no effect on when they become a free agent, it's still 6 years of service time until free agency.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
Before the game i said June 1st. The better Conor plays I'm fine with Davidson in the minors. He's 22. Would be nice for Conor to have a good year so maybe we can package him at the deadline

Not to nitpick, but Davidson turned 23 a couple weeks ago.

I said August 1st for his first game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
Super 2 has nothing to do with his free agent status. If a player qualifies for super 2 then they're arbitration eligible after 2+ seasons and get 4 years of arbitration instead of the standard 3. It has no effect on when they become a free agent, it's still 6 years of service time until free agency.

Free agency is able to be had after 6 full years of service. Period.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
Oh ok well he was 22 when we got him. No biggie. He went 2-4 today with 2 doubles and 2 RBIs. No Ks is nice

Last year Conor sucked it up defensively and his offense left alot to be desired, this year both Our newly acquired future 3rd Baseman and Gillaspie are tearing it up. Hopefully it stays that way and we have a good "problem" on our hands. ;)