Local Elections - April 4th

StrangeSox

Illinois' Consolidated General Election for many local municipal and township seats is next Tuesday. Early voting is already underway.

I've helped out a little bit with my family member who's up for reelection. Hard to say with zero polling, but they won comfortably last time and the voting patterns in their area didn't change appreciably from 2012 to 2016 (just sort of using that as a rough bell weather on turnout and whether there was an ideological shift in the area/who votes in the area). Spent lots of time going door-to-door. Will be going to an election results party next Tuesday to watch the returns come in, which is always nerve-racking but fun.

In my own area, I'm actually looking at voting straight-ticket Republican because my choices are moderate Republican incumbents or abolish-township-government Tea Party types. Even though it's a heavily Republican area, conservation is one of the dominating factors in Homer Township/Homer Glen and was a big reason the town was incorporated in 2002 in the first place. I unronically liked one of the Republicans' profiles in the local paper for "telling it like it is" i.e. calling the opposition a bunch of delusional and dishonest assholes in so many words.

Anyway the main point of this post was just a reminder to everyone about the upcoming elections. Your local paper can be a great source of information on all of the races that'll be on your ballot.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
There is another facilities bond and operations increase for Oak Park, 6 years after the last one for d 200. Always will be the end of children if it fails.

Conflicting facts on both sides of the argument. At the end of the day, 100 bucks extra a month isnt death, but I would prefer taxes dont continue to increase. Their latest reassessment was bulls***.

The mayoral in Park Ridge has gotten very interesting. The acting mayor, who stepped in when the previous one passed away in office, is running against a newcomer. The newcomer is a real estate attorney whose campaign is being led by a big developer/realtor in the area which is an interesting connection. Either way, thanks to social media, I feel like it's gotten very heated and there's definitely been some mud slinging occurring, on and off of Facebook. I'm still not 100% certain who I am voting for

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
Conflicting facts on both sides of the argument. At the end of the day, 100 bucks extra a month isnt death, but I would prefer taxes dont continue to increase. Their latest reassessment was bulls***.

It is death when you renew every 30 year bond and call for new 30 year bonds every 5 years, and literally every taxing body keeps coming back every 5 years for 4% operating increases saying they are just trying to keep status quo or else all services will cease.

I won't be upset if it passes, D97 isn't the main driver of Oak Park's problems, the Park District and High School are, but I also don't think all hell will break loose if it fails. They can do art every other week for a year while they come back in the fall for another referendum.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
The mayoral in Park Ridge has gotten very interesting. The acting mayor, who stepped in when the previous one passed away in office, is running against a newcomer. The newcomer is a real estate attorney whose campaign is being led by a big developer/realtor in the area which is an interesting connection. Either way, thanks to social media, I feel like it's gotten very heated and there's definitely been some mud slinging occurring, on and off of Facebook. I'm still not 100% certain who I am voting for

I know nothing about how local elections usually go, but judging by yard signs, it seemed like this should have been a close election. Nope. The "acting" mayor won 70%-30%, smoked it.

It is very different when the candidates run non-partisan, which I think is good to remove the automatic bias you can get when you see the D or the R next to a candidate's name.

I was reading through a bit of coverage this morning, and I read that the Orland Park mayoral race had $200,000 spent on it. That is insane.

I did end up voting straight-ticket Republican for Homer Township, and they won pretty comfortably over the "abolish Township government" slate.

Oak Park's props passed.

Only one of my preferred school board candidates won a seat for both boards.

April local elections are all about turnout.

the MLS bonds for St Louis I guess failed ultimately? One passed one failed, was to build a stadium to move MLS there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
Oak Park's props passed.

the MLS bonds for St Louis I guess failed ultimately? One passed one failed, was to build a stadium to move MLS there.

Yeah, the soccer stadium failing was kind of surprising to me. It was just St. Louis City that was able to vote on it. STL county and the metro-east (Illinois) would really help with attendance, but not for paying for the stadium unfortunately.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
Oak Park's props passed.

I think a lot of people that voted yes in OP were the holdovers for the D200 pool referendum that lost.

Yes, there was a lot of doomsday talk, but at the end of the day, school population is not something that can be ignored. (of course, the district is going to get a ton more money from all the new condo's going up downtown that they neglected to mention, but...)

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
Yeah, the soccer stadium failing was kind of surprising to me. It was just St. Louis City that was able to vote on it. STL county and the metro-east (Illinois) would really help with attendance, but not for paying for the stadium unfortunately.

In my opinion, the result was the best case scenario. The city gets a tax increase to use on upgrading their public transportation and the money can not be used to build some outside millionaires a soccer stadium. I feel like everyone is a winner.