2012 Park District Sports Thread

Softball? Flag Football? Ice or Roller Hockey? Basketball?

Tell us where you are playing and keep us updated on your season.

I play softball for Cobra Kai in Arlington Heights , our season officially starts May 10th, but we are playing a tournament in Carol Stream on April 29th. Getting pretty excited to start playing, we have been practicing for the last month.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
Having surgery in the next couple weeks and have to miss softball this summer. Kills me.

That really sucks. When I moved up to Rolling Meadows from Carbondale in 2005, I didn't know anyone who played. I didn't play until 2007, that was a long two summers.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
I'm doing an all sports league in the city starting in June. It includes basketball, softball, dodgeball, flag football and volleyball. I'm pumped, should be a blast.

I will be interested to see your results in something like this. Co-ed?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)

Indeed. It'll be interesting considering all my high school friends might as well be 45 instead of 25 so we will have injuries galore, guaranteed I'm the only one not hurrt by the time this thing is over.

No matter what I'm just excited to play football and bball again in a league setting.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
I'm doing an all sports league in the city starting in June. It includes basketball, softball, dodgeball, flag football and volleyball. I'm pumped, should be a blast.

Started last Monday with dodgeball, absolute f***in blast. Forgot how much fun dodgeball is, we kicked ass too.

Volleyball tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)

The league has been an absolute blast.

Our team finished the regular season about as average as possible:

Won dodgeball

3rd place in the volleyball tourny

Lost flag football

Lost basketball

Won softball

Won volleyball

Lost flag football

Playoffs start next week with basketball. Despite being ridiculously average through the regular season if we can get by bball next week(only one of our girls and myself have ever really played basketball competitively before) I think we can win the whole thing.

Since I'm out for the softball season after my surgery, I have been going to watch my old team play.

They were in the semifinals last Thursday and the thing I hate about this league happened. The team they played, they had beaten twice in regular season, but for the playoffs, the other team showed up with 3 ringers who didn't play one game with them in the regular season. The 3 guys the replaced sat on the bench and never stepped foot on the field or took an AB. Bush league.

You can do roster checks but the club charges $50 and if you lose, the club keeps the money, so its not even worth it.

One of the ringers hit a 3 run walk off in the 9th inning. I would have been furious if I was playing.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
Since I'm out for the softball season after my surgery, I have been going to watch my old team play.

They were in the semifinals last Thursday and the thing I hate about this league happened. The team they played, they had beaten twice in regular season, but for the playoffs, the other team showed up with 3 ringers who didn't play one game with them in the regular season. The 3 guys the replaced sat on the bench and never stepped foot on the field or took an AB. Bush league.

You can do roster checks but the club charges $50 and if you lose, the club keeps the money, so its not even worth it.

One of the ringers hit a 3 run walk off in the 9th inning. I would have been furious if I was playing.

Your league sucks. Even my church league had teams turn in rosters at the end of the season, with a minimum of games played.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
Your league sucks. Even my church league had teams turn in rosters at the end of the season, with a minimum of games played.

We only have to turn in rosters at the beginning.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
I am shocked. And just because of the scenario you spelled out. People take advantage of that and cheat like hell.

Even my co-ed social bowling league has roster rules in place to prevent ringers. Someone actually brought a ringer to the playoffs a few years ago.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
Into the semis! Won by 3 tonight in bball, I had 20 of our 41 cause I'm awesome. ;)

Softball next week.

I can't even begin to imagine how shallow the talent pool is in that league. ha

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 04:31 AM)
I can't even begin to imagine how shallow the talent pool is in that league. ha

It's like any coed league, you have your good athletes and some kids that are just there so they're not sitting on their couch all day.

But ya, it's not too hard to dominate basketball if you've played before because no one knows how to play help defense, get by your man and you'll get an easy basket or get fouled.

My biggest problem is pretty much deciding how much to hog the ball. I've been a pg my whole life and I hate shooting a lot but as I said earlier in the thread, there's only one person on our team that can actually dribble the basketball. So basically I tried to get everyone involved for most of the game and then take over the last 7-10 minutes.

We also play 44 minute games and I played every minute which was pretty awesome actually, first time I've played a whole basketball game in my life.

This league really is a blast though, having a better time doing this than I've had doing any other league since I was in high school.

• 5 weeks later...