FS: Details on the NYY prospects acquired last night

NorthSideSox72

When I first got news of the players involved in the trade, it looked as if Polo was the fourth player, the guy thrown in as the so-called lotto pick, and the two real prospects in the trade were quickly added to the Sox Top Thirty list. Not so for Tito Polo.

Then, I look at his stats and his scouting report here, and he looks pretty damn good. Good enough to easily make the Top 30 List.

Why, for example, is he not listed ahead of Basabe? Same with just about every other prospect from Basabe on down.

I hope they keep him at AA, at least.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
When I first got news of the players involved in the trade, it looked as if Polo was the fourth player, the guy thrown in as the so-called lotto pick, and the two real prospects in the trade were quickly added to the Sox Top Thirty list. Not so for Tito Polo.

Then, I look at his stats and his scouting report here, and he looks pretty damn good. Good enough to easily make the Top 30 List.

Why, for example, is he not listed ahead of Basabe? Same with just about every other prospect from Basabe on down.

My guess is his age (he's almost 23) in A+ ball is what was keeping his prospect status down. It looks to me like his ceiling is a right-handed Adam Eaton-eque leadoff hitter, who perhaps could be a better base stealer. I think he was a savvy addition to the farm given that the Yankees didn't want to part with anymore big name prospects. If he continues to hit in AA with the Barons, I certainly think you will see him gain helium and become a top 30 prospect for the Sox. In that scenario, he will be in a more age appropriate league and it will be hard to ignore a guy hitting .300ish with speed. One thing I am not sure of is his defensive ability. If he is good to elite defensively that will only help his case. This guy is the kind of depth the Sox need in their system along with the guys in the top 15 for the system to truly be the best in baseball. Since we're probably done acquiring blue chip prospects, it is important for any other trades to target more unheralded prospects like this.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)

I think Polo is being over looked due to Rutherford and Clarkin. The Yanks have a wealth of outfield talent and yet Yankee fans were not happy about Polo being in the trade. I like what the kid has to offer, even if his projection is a fourth outfielder.