Charlotte

KipWellsFan

Guest hotsoxchick1
Hard to say.... They were supposed to be very good the past 2 or 3 years and have pretty much sucked.  In AAA, a lot depends on how the mix between young guys and vets works out.

well unless of course the birmingham team from last year moves all at once to the knights.. then they will be awesome lol.....id even predict a championship out of that team..... of course they are minus their ace closer.........

If I recall they improved a bit late in the season, but as Rex said, they've were dissapointments.

They should be much better this season, considering they are getting a lot of players from a very good Birmingham Team as well as keeping Joe Borchard, Edwin Almonte, Jon Rauch, etc.

They'll like have a rotation with Rauch, Stewart, West, Diaz, and possibly Adkins or Ginter or Malone. It kind of depends on how the Sox see things, but it should be pretty good.

The pen should be real good, with them getting Munoz, Sanders, Majewski to go along with Almonte who was already there and once again potentially Ginter and others.

It should be a solid team. Offensively it could have some flaws, but Miles may be there, Hummell should be there, Olivo may be there, and of course Joe Borchard will be there.

The big question with the Knights is whether they are going to have some of these guys very long, as many could see the 25 man roster.

Oh ya, here's the preview I wrote for them way back when. Its rather outdated, but here Charlotte Knights Preview

Guest hotsoxchick1
If I recall they improved a bit late in the season, but as Rex said, they've were dissapointments.

They should be much better this season, considering they are getting a lot of players from a very good Birmingham Team as well as keeping Joe Borchard, Edwin Almonte, Jon Rauch,  etc.

They'll like have a rotation with Rauch, Stewart, West, Diaz, and possibly Adkins or Ginter or Malone.  It kind of depends on how the Sox see things, but it should be pretty good. 

The pen should be real good, with them getting Munoz, Sanders, Majewski to go along with Almonte who was already there and once again potentially Ginter and others.

It should be a solid team.  Offensively it could have some flaws, but Miles may be there, Hummell should be there, Olivo may be there, and of course Joe Borchard will be there. 

The big question with the Knights is whether they are going to have some of these guys very long, as many could see the 25 man roster.

Oh ya, here's the preview I wrote for them way back when.  Its rather outdated, but here Charlotte Knights Preview

hey we dont want to read that old s***... write some new material there will ya jas.......... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Guest hotsoxchick1
Oh I will.  I'll update that and the Birmingham one, once the rosters are announced.

yeah yeah yeah.. about time..........slacker.........lol lol lol lol :D :headbang

Chisoxfn, as much as you were right on with Majewski and not being on the 40-man (other thread) you are just as far off on this one. Charlotte finished 55-88 and was 307 in their last 10 games. If you are finding any "improvement" in those numbers, then they must have been WAY down to get to there.

Keep in mind that Miguel wasn't promoted to AAA last year for two reasons. One, the Barons were winning and the Sox threw them a bone. Two, they didn't want to expose any prospect to the atmosphere in Charlotte last year. It was so bad that apparently, both Chris Saunders and Eric Battersby were elated to be demoted to Birmingham. (Sit near the player's wives and you'll be amazed at what kind of info you can get). LOL

HSC, you can't count on the Barons guys from last year moving up and continuing at Charlotte. Remember the Barons had made the playoffs the previous two years and Charlotte was disappointing the following year each time.

There are always Minor League Free Agents that find the AAA roster. Those guys can make or break a ballclub. Charlotte, could and SHOULD be good, but there is no guarantee.

As far as Charlotte goes, I thought they had a couple winning streaks real late, but it wasn't much. Writing about the minor league teams last season wasn't too exciting, with the exception being Birmingham. We had the rookie team do good, but boy did the other teams really stink. I was always writing about losses and it was horrible, so I could of gotten delusional, lol.

They should of been good though considering they had some pretty solid pitchers down there, but none of them produced (Ie Parque, Rauch - struggled for so long while he was there, then finally got rolling,but not till they were way out). Of course Almonte did good and so did Crede. Borchard, although solid, was a dissapointment.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Charlotte this year, but I think the other teams will all be interesting as well as the system is getting rejuvenated with more talent, now that most of it is at the major league level.

Rex, do you think that the difference in ballparks has anything to do with the teams being so much different from AA to AAA record wise (When it is relatively the same cast the following year in AAA). From what I've read, Birmingham is more of a pitchers park while Charlotte is a hitters paradise.

Rex, do you think that the difference in ballparks has anything to do with the teams being so much different from AA to AAA record wise (When it is relatively the same cast the following year in AAA). From what I've read, Birmingham is more of a pitchers park while Charlotte is a hitters paradise.

That could have somewhat of an effect. But Borchard hit better in Bham than in Charlotte. No one really put up huge numbers in Charlotte compared to what they did in Birmingham (hitters).

I think it more has to do with the mix of players. Last year, there were a lot of free agents and the roster changed drastically from opening day to late in the season.

How about this for a list of names that didn't play in Birmingham the year before? Justin Baughman, Jose Canseco, Damon Buford, D'Angelo Jiminez, Brooks Kieschnick, Scott Morgan, Anthony Sanders, Mike Zwyica, Carlos Chantres, Tom Jacquez, Ryan Kohlmeier, and Steve Schrenk.

Much more player movement exists in AAA, both in new players and players going up and down to Chicago. Agendas are very different and the players don't always mix well. Veterans often resent prospects. I think you get the point......

Ya, I bet all the movement has a definate effect on chemistry. I mean players move in AA, but more likely they play a full season there and move up to the AAA level. At the majors there are some guys that just keep bouncing back and forth and it has to be hard when you have so many different lineups and guys coming in and out, etc.

Charlotte has potential to be pretty good this year, depending on who trickles down from big league camp. A lot of the kids from Bham last season will be there, including Diaz, Majewski, Munoz, Stewart, Sanders, Olivo, Miles(assuming the dont make the big club), Battersby, Piniella, and others like Morgan, A.Sanders, Dellaero, Brumbaugh, Adkins, Kohlmeier, Eason, Meyer, Yofu, maybe Borchard or HArris, Hummel, etc. But this is just what I've seen so far so dont believe it until the rosters are set next week.

Bham' s roster is alomst set as well. The starters, assuming no injuries in the next ten day, will be Malone, West, Ulacia, Cotts, and myself. Ring, Smith and Pacheco are solidified in the pen with 3-4 spots still up for grabs. Position wise I have no clue, we have a different group everyday it seems.

Finally, I think that the Winston staff will feature Honel, Wing, Allen, Francisco, and An/Phillips(Philly is still not cleared to throw off the mound yet)

Smith- Righty 90-93 FB In Winston and Bham last year, my roommate since I signed.

Piniella OF split time with Winston and Bham hit 320 in Bham

Eason Righty split time with CHarlotte and Bham had a 2.00 Era in Bham

Battersby 1b Charlotte Bham last year good Defense showed power in 2001

All these guys will likely be in Charlotte except Smitty who'll be in Bham

Much more player movement exists in AAA, both in new players and players going up and down to Chicago. Agendas are very different and the players don't always mix well. Veterans often resent prospects.

That's a really interesting point, Rex.

Jim B: Thanks for all the great info.

Bham' s roster is alomst set as well.  The starters, assuming no injuries in the next ten day, will be Malone, West, Ulacia, Cotts, and myself.  Ring, Smith and Pacheco are solidified in the pen with 3-4 spots still up for grabs.  Position wise I have no clue, we have a different group everyday it seems.

Man, the Barons are gonna have a lefty heavy rotation this year, I really hope Corwin Malone has a strong comeback this year, and, of course a breakout year for yourself :headbang