Reliever Lopez out to earn final spot on Sox

SSH2005

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=163667

Seeking to not get left out

Reliever Lopez out to earn final spot on White Sox staff

By John Moredich

Special to the Daily Herald

Posted Tuesday, March 07, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. — White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen is waiting … and waiting … for his young talent to take advantage of the playing time this spring.

There are few roster spots open for the World Series champs, but there is an opportunity for somebody to make a name for himself, especially as the team’s second left-handed reliever behind Neal Cotts.

“They have a chance to get the couple of spots open, and they don’t want to grab it,” Guillen said. “It is a shame people have opportunities and they are not taking advantage of them.”

Somebody not about to let the chance get away is Javier Lopez, a December free-agent acquisition. He is among eight pitchers vying for the one opening.

There is plenty of pressure every time the lefties take the mound, but Lopez is not trying to think that way.

“You try to take that out of the equation,” Lopez said. “You want to make sure you just get your work done and you hit your spots. But obviously making the team is in the back of your mind.”

“For me, this is a new organization. I don’t know any of these coaches or players. A first impression is important. Any impression you leave is a good one.”

After the first six games, the eight relievers were 0-3 with a 9.00 ERA, allowing 14 runs in 14 innings.

Lopez has shown consistency so far, not giving up a run in 2º innings or work this spring, including a scoreless inning in which he allowed a hit but struck out two in a 4-2 victory over Colorado on Monday.

“He threw the ball really well. Lopez is becoming a real important role right now, Guillen said after the game. “He is getting ahead, but it is still early to say who is in and who is out, but I was happy with the way he threw the ball.”

Lopez went 1º innings without giving up a run against Arizona in his first outing.

“My mind-set is that I want to go out there and attack the glove,” Lopez said. “I’ve been pretty fortunate so far. I have been trying to stay out of trouble by not walking guys and things that will get me in trouble. Working with guys off base is the easiest way to do it.”

Lopez, who broke camp with Colorado last year before being claimed off waivers by Arizona, saw nothing but trouble last season, struggling with a 1-1 record and an 11.02 ERA in 32 appearances.

But he does have a history of getting the job done. Over his three-year career, Lopez has stranded 22 percent of inherited runners, eighth-best among all relievers since 2003.

Although Lopez is new with the White Sox, he is accustomed to pitching in Tucson, having played in the past year for all three of the teams that train here.

“I have had my experiences here, so I have a little bit of a comfort zone,” he said. “It is kind of funny. Every time I pitch around here I will be facing former teammates, so there is not much of an element of surprise.

“It makes me just concentrate harder. They know what I’ve got, and I know what they got. It comes down to who has the best stuff that day.”

Lopez is just hoping he has the best stuff among the eight pitchers trying to a win a spot on the White Sox staff.

I like the sound of this:

But he does have a history of getting the job done. Over his three-year career, Lopez has stranded 22 percent of inherited runners, eighth-best among all relievers since 2003.

Spring Training Stats:

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA WHIP

J Lopez 3 1/3 4 0 0 0 4 0 0.00 1.20

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 07:01 AM)
I like the sound of this:

Spring Training Stats:

IP  H  R  ER  BB  SO  HR  ERA    WHIP

J Lopez                        3 1/3  4  0  0  0  4  0    0.00  1.20

I REALLY like the sound of that.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
It is becoming his job to lose....

he's having an impressive (though still short) spring so far

Spot on. It certainly appears his job to lose; thing is, I think losing the job would mean carrying only one left-hander. An addition by subtraction...nay, an addition by omission.