9/15 at KC Royals

flavum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
John Danks tonight's prediction: 5.2ip, 5ER, 6H, 1HR, 3BB, 3K.

He's been (literally) one of the 3 worst starters in baseball this year. Most pitchers that are this bad don't get to keep getting to start games. But hardly any have 50 some million left on their deal either.

Stupid injuries.

He literally has not. Try agsin.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
His FIP is 4.86. That's one of the worst in the league. OH BUT THATS SABERMETRICS. His ERA is 4.99. I screwed up his contract stats but who cares, he's been f***ing awful.

Anyways, go Sox. The guys they need to produce to win in '15 are producing so that's nice.

The problem with your stats is you are only including the qualified, which eliminates a lot of bad pitchers. Not a lot of pitchers get 162 innings. So basically when you call someone one of the worst, you are not including guys who are much worse.

It is like not counting Adam Dunn as a bad hitter in 2011 because technically he didn't qualify.

Edited by Dick Allen

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/le...false/minip/100

If you go down to those who have pitched 100 innings or more, he's 66th out of 69 in ERA.

Only Colby Lewis, Buchholz (who's pitched much better of late) and Nolasco are behind him.

73rd out of 78 if you go down to 80 IP. You pick up Workman (Red Sox) and Masterson behind him in that screen.

15x5=75 starting pitchers, roughly

So if you take any SABRE numbers, and just gut instinct, I have a feeling that almost everyone would take Buchholz, maybe Masterson and Workman (since he's a rookie as well) over Danks. That leaves you in an argument between Colby Lewis and Ricky Nolasco for worst AL starter.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)

If you go down to those who have pitched 100 innings or more, he's 66th out of 69 in ERA.

Only Colby Lewis, Buchholz (who's pitched much better of late) and Nolasco are behind him.

73rd out of 78 if you go down to 80 IP. You pick up Workman (Red Sox) and Masterson behind him in that screen.

So if you take any SABRE numbers, and just gut instinct, I have a feeling that almost everyone would take Buchholz, maybe Masterson and Workman (since he's a rookie as well) over Danks. That leaves you in an argument between Colby Lewis and Ricky Nolasco for worst AL starter.

What is the average 5th starters ERA? John Danks, Nolasco and Colby Lewis aren't the worst 3 starters in the AL.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
His stuff seems to be declining, in my opinion.

He was 93-94 consistently against DET and the Yankees.

I think those last two starts really took a lot out of him...and maybe he let up psychologically feeling the White Sox would just lay down for him, which we all know has a way of NOT happening when teams playing with nothing to lose take on contenders the last two weeks of September.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)

What is the average 5th starters ERA? John Danks, Nolasco and Colby Lewis aren't the worst 3 starters in the AL.If you are goimg to call someome the worst or 3rd worst, you need to include every pitcher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 07:24 PM)
What is the average 5th starters ERA? John Danks, Nolasco and Colby Lewis aren't the worst 3 starters in the AL.

I don't even know how you would determine that, since it's very subjective who's every team's 5th starter.

The problem is that Danks is being paid 2/3 money...not to NOT be one of the worst starters in the AL, fifth starter or otherwise.

I suppose we can move the bar down and argue he's one of the Top 50% of 5th starters, but that's not going to help the White Sox very much in 2015. It's the kind of argument an agent would make in an arbitration board meeting....well, he's not one of the worst fifth starters!!!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 07:25 PM)
What is the average 5th starters ERA? John Danks, Nolasco and Colby Lewis aren't the worst 3 starters in the AL.If you are goimg to call someome the worst or 3rd worst, you need to include every pitcher.

But 78 pitchers would inherently include (on average) five starters or more for all 15 American League teams.

Sure, you would presumably have a few example of 4 starters for some teams, and a few lists of six for others.

The point remains that he's one of the biggest problems on the team, performance and salary-drag wise, going forward into next season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
I don't even know how you would determine that, since it's very subjective who's every team's 5th starter.

The problem is that Danks is being paid 2/3 money...not to NOT be one of the worst starters in the AL, fifth starter or otherwise.

I suppose we can move the bar down and argue he's one of the Top 50% of 5th starters, but that's not going to help the White Sox very much in 2015. It's the kind of argument an agent would make in an arbitration board meeting....well, he's not one of the worst fifth starters!!!

That isn't the argument.