Shooting at Seattle college campus

Big Hurtin

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all over. America is officially the worst place in the world to live in terms of people killing its own people (aside from lunatic dictators like the North Korean asshole offing people, etc).

This is only going to get worse as the months, years pass. Should be interesting to see what happens as this escalates. I would assume eventually we are all going to be armed with guns as we go to churches, movies, ballgames, malls, etc., and there will be a lot of old fashioned shootouts when lunatic killers try to do their thing at such places. I would think at this rate the arming of Americans to protect themselves will reach a fever pitch before too many years pass. Undoubtedly there will be lots of accidents involving those guys. Maybe even some mass shootings that start when somebody accidentally fires his/her gun in a movie theatre and others panic and shoot the guy/girl who fired the accidental shot.

These killings will not stop and can you imagine how many thousands (up to a million??) of sick, and or, desperate individuals are planning their own shooting sprees even as I type this?

It's a sick sick USA we live in.

(and I'm not even mentioning how we are offing our own environment, though other countries are helping ruin the planet in this regard as well ... good luck to us all as the glaciers melt).

p.s. Congratulations and thanks for the students who tackled the bastard shooter. Also the people who piled on to hold him. I like attorneys, but I shudder to think of all the attorneys who will want to defend this bastard as it'll be another high profile case in which they try to get the guy off on insanity.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
It's all over. America is officially the worst place in the world to live in terms of people killing its own people (aside from lunatic dictators like the North Korean asshole offing people, etc).

This is only going to get worse as the months, years pass. Should be interesting to see what happens as this escalates. I would assume eventually we are all going to be armed with guns as we go to churches, movies, ballgames, malls, etc., and there will be a lot of old fashioned shootouts when lunatic killers try to do their thing at such places. I would think at this rate the arming of Americans to protect themselves will reach a fever pitch before too many years pass. Undoubtedly there will be lots of accidents involving those guys. Maybe even some mass shootings that start when somebody accidentally fires his/her gun in a movie theatre and others panic and shoot the guy/girl who fired the accidental shot.

These killings will not stop and can you imagine how many thousands (up to a million??) of sick, and or, desperate individuals are planning their own shooting sprees even as I type this?

(and I'm not even mentioning how we are offing our own environment, though other countries are helping ruin the planet in this regard as well ... good luck to us all as the glaciers melt).

p.s. Congratulations and thanks for the students who tackled the bastard shooter. Also the people who piled on to hold him. I like attorneys, but I shudder to think of all the attorneys who will want to defend this bastard as it'll be another high profile case in which they try to get the guy off on insanity.

I've never seen so much "speaking out of anger" hyperbole in my life, and contrary to pretty much everything you just said, the US is safer now than it's been in decades.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

That being said, I'm not disagreeing that this is a sad state of affairs, but to keep things in perspective, it's safer to live here now than it's been since the late 70's.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)

You should move to Canada then. Oh wait, shootings happen there too.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
I've never seen so much "speaking out of anger" hyperbole in my life, and contrary to pretty much everything you just said, the US is safer now than it's been in decades.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

That being said, I'm not disagreeing that this is a sad state of affairs, but to keep things in perspective, it's safer to live here now than it's been since the late 70's.

Safe? Wow, you are an easy grader.

Welcome to America. Come back to me in 20 years and tell me I'm right. We're all going to be armed and owning guns and bringing them with us wherever we go. We'll be carrying them like we do our cellphones. You can't tell me right now as I type this there aren't thousands upon thousands of people beginning to plan their own shooting sprees.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Safe? Wow, you are an easy grader.

Welcome to America. Come back to me in 20 years and tell me I'm right. We're all going to be armed and owning guns and bringing them with us wherever we go. We'll be carrying them like we do our cellphones. You can't tell me right now as I type this there aren't thousands upon thousands of people beginning to plan their own shooting sprees.

I have absolutely no idea what this has to do in with the fact that there is far less violent crime in the US today than there has been in the previous 30 years, but ok, you go on wit' yo' bad speculating denial of the facts self...

Also of pretty important note, I never said it's "safe" to live here, I said it's SAFER to live here than it's been in decades...because it is.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)
And Jesus.

As far as your Jesus joke ... it's a sad world when I'm not allowed to make the blanket statement: "I believe if more people knew God they wouldn't pull this mass murder s***."

That statement by me would cause as much vitriol (sp) and hatred toward me as people have toward this mass murderer. In fact, I would say just as many outspoken people would be upset at me for my God assertion than they are upset at the killer himself.

For it looks like the killer already is being billed as mentally unstable and insane which will let him off the hook with so many groups of people in America. Who cares that he's a violent mass murderer, right? He's insane so heaven forbid he be responsible for killing and injuring people and ruining lives of innocent Americans.

Read the lawyer's quotes. She's already pushing strong for insanity. My comment is, "Lock the bastard up for a minimum of 60 years." Let him out when he's 85 or whatever if he lives that long.

By the way, love this line in the Trib story ...

"Local media reports citing unidentified police sources have said Ybarra, who is not a student at the college, was fascinated with mass shootings at other schools, including the 1999 Columbine High School massacre in Colorado."

Great. Copycat killers are coming out of the woodwork. My prayers are none of you ever lose a friend to a mass murderer as I have. It sucks.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
A plea of insanity isn't a free pass out of jail.

Basically isn't it a stay in a hospital-type setting? Followed by a country club "prison " to make sure he's getting all medicated up? I wonder if he'll be allowed to golf and play tennis?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
Basically isn't it a stay in a hospital-type setting? Followed by a country club "prison " to make sure he's getting all medicated up? I wonder if he'll be allowed to golf and play tennis?

Seriously, you should take some time and look into the quality of mental health treatment in this country. Go do it for yourself.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)
As far as your Jesus joke ... it's a sad world when I'm not allowed to make the blanket statement: "I believe if more people knew God they wouldn't pull this mass murder s***."

That statement by me would cause as much vitriol (sp) and hatred toward me as people have toward this mass murderer. In fact, I would say just as many outspoken people would be upset at me for my God assertion than they are upset at the killer himself.

For it looks like the killer already is being billed as mentally unstable and insane which will let him off the hook with so many groups of people in America. Who cares that he's a violent mass murderer, right? He's insane so heaven forbid he be responsible for killing and injuring people and ruining lives of innocent Americans.

Read the lawyer's quotes. She's already pushing strong for insanity. My comment is, "Lock the bastard up for a minimum of 60 years." Let him out when he's 85 or whatever if he lives that long.

By the way, love this line in the Trib story ...

"Local media reports citing unidentified police sources have said Ybarra, who is not a student at the college, was fascinated with mass shootings at other schools, including the 1999 Columbine High School massacre in Colorado."

Great. Copycat killers are coming out of the woodwork. My prayers are none of you ever lose a friend to a mass murderer as I have. It sucks.

Ya youre right, no murders are ever committed in the name of religion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)

This is a hilarious misconception.

Normal mental health treatment is spotty half the time, let alone an insanity plea that sends you to a state mental hospital prison. I toured the one in Missouri for a story and it's awful. I've heard from people that life in a normal prison would be preferred.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
This is a hilarious misconception.

Normal mental health treatment is spotty half the time, let alone an insanity plea that sends you to a state mental hospital prison. I toured the one in Missouri for a story and it's awful. I've heard from people that life in a normal prison would be preferred.

If I'm wrong, my bad. Is the mental hospital worse than a normal prison because it's sort of a One Flew Over the Kukoo's Nest type setting? Drugs, zombie type people, etc?

I think I have the right to be frustrated these mass murderers get a break because they are "insane." I think he's a murderer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 02:12 AM)
If I'm wrong, my bad. Is the mental hospital worse than a normal prison because it's sort of a One Flew Over the Kukoo's Nest type setting? Drugs, zombie type people, etc?

I think I have the right to be frustrated these mass murderers get a break because they are "insane." I think he's a murderer.

Basically, on average, just imagine it as an average prison. In some cases it might involve actual treatment for people in addition to serving time, but in some cases it could well be substantially worse. Depends on the state, funding, and whether or not anyone cares.

Tanner asserts that many who have no particular religious beliefs would even argue that violence is a highly likely if not inevitable consequence of the "irrationality" of religious precepts.[6] Similarly, Hector Avalos argues that religions claim "scarce resources" for themselves over and against other groups. Consequently, this may lead to violence because conflicting claims to superiority are based on unverifiable appeals to the supernatural which cannot be adjudicated objectively.[9]

Some general critics of religion and polemics such as Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins go farther and argue that religions do tremendous harm to society in three ways:[10][page needed][11][page needed]

1) Religions sometimes use war, violence, and terrorism to promote their religious goals,

2) Religious leaders contribute to secular wars and terrorism by endorsing or supporting the violence, and

3) Religious fervor is exploited by secular leaders to support war and terrorism.

Amartya Sen adds that political leaders frequently use religious differences to initiate or perpetuate violence: [12]

"Although the wars [in Iraq and Afghanistan] were ostensibly initiated to counter terrorism, religious differences are stressed just as often by American politicians and pundits as the reasons to continue the violence."[13]

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 06:17 AM)
Tanner asserts that many who have no particular religious beliefs would even argue that violence is a highly likely if not inevitable consequence of the "irrationality" of religious precepts.[6] Similarly, Hector Avalos argues that religions claim "scarce resources" for themselves over and against other groups. Consequently, this may lead to violence because conflicting claims to superiority are based on unverifiable appeals to the supernatural which cannot be adjudicated objectively.[9]

Some general critics of religion and polemics such as Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins go farther and argue that religions do tremendous harm to society in three ways:[10][page needed][11][page needed]

1) Religions sometimes use war, violence, and terrorism to promote their religious goals,

2) Religious leaders contribute to secular wars and terrorism by endorsing or supporting the violence, and

3) Religious fervor is exploited by secular leaders to support war and terrorism.

Amartya Sen adds that political leaders frequently use religious differences to initiate or perpetuate violence: [12]

"Although the wars [in Iraq and Afghanistan] were ostensibly initiated to counter terrorism, religious differences are stressed just as often by American politicians and pundits as the reasons to continue the violence."[13]

What nonsense.

(1) Atheism is a religion just as much as Christianity is a religion. I hate how Dawkins, et al., always refuse to see that.

(2) Yes, when jihadists who want to kill Americans in the name of Allah are the enemy, of course religion is going to be discussed as part of the discussion of war. That is not the same as saying Americans and American politicians are advocating violence in support of or in furtherance of their own personal religion.