This Chicago is Not My Kind of Town

greg775

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:04 AM)
you need to step away from TV news and get XM radio for your truck.

OMG. Hearing about the 11 year old child who died doesn't affect your heart? Seeing the grandmother cry doesn't affect you? Realizing a young girl has to leave the world for this reason makes you blast me?? Wow.

Love this part of the story ...

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy blamed weak gun laws for the spurt of holiday violence.

"There has to come a tipping point where this changes," McCarthy said then of the violence. "The illogical nature of what's happening here -- that government can intercede and prevent this from happening is overwhelming. And I refuse to think otherwise in a great country like America that we can continue to allow this to happen -- not just on a state, but on a federal level."

p.s. The truck line is unacceptable. Do you want me to send you an accounting of what I drive and my annual income? My spending habits? Sad.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
OMG. Hearing about the 11 year old child who died doesn't affect your heart? Seeing the grandmother cry doesn't affect you? Realizing a young girl has to leave the world for this reason makes you blast me?? Wow.

Love this part of the story ...

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy blamed weak gun laws for the spurt of holiday violence.

"There has to come a tipping point where this changes," McCarthy said then of the violence. "The illogical nature of what's happening here -- that government can intercede and prevent this from happening is overwhelming. And I refuse to think otherwise in a great country like America that we can continue to allow this to happen -- not just on a state, but on a federal level."

p.s. The truck line is unacceptable. Do you want me to send you an accounting of what I drive and my annual income? My spending habits? Sad.

Dude, you seriously need to stop listening to the news. get books on tape for all i care. If the news makes you like this, stop listening.

As for McCarthy's weak gun laws statement, he can kiss my ass. I swear he craps his pants every time he thinks of anyone other than a cop with a gun. I would bet big money that 99% of those shooters used illegally obtained guns and have records a mile long and should have been in jail and not ABLE to commit those shootings to begin with. but the political gasbags won't put those guys in jail, instead prefer to bust minor drug users and waste resources on seat belt laws and crap. Rahm's comments actually made a little more sense, "Everybody says, 'So what are you going to do?' As if there's a single thing that's going to resolve this problem," Emanuel said. "It is a communitywide problem, which requires a communitywide solution.".

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:24 AM)
Dude, you seriously need to stop listening to the news. get books on tape for all i care. If the news makes you like this, stop listening.

As for McCarthy's weak gun laws statement, he can kiss my ass. I swear he craps his pants every time he thinks of anyone other than a cop with a gun. I would bet big money that 99% of those shooters used illegally obtained guns and have records a mile long and should have been in jail and not ABLE to commit those shootings to begin with. but the political gasbags won't put those guys in jail, instead prefer to bust minor drug users and waste resources on seat belt laws and crap. Rahm's comments actually made a little more sense, "Everybody says, 'So what are you going to do?' As if there's a single thing that's going to resolve this problem," Emanuel said. "It is a communitywide problem, which requires a communitywide solution.".

I liked Rahm's statement, too.

But damn ... little kids just want to be little kids and live and play. To die at 11 years old is just ridiculously sad. That kid would have better off never being born. She has to exit the earth at 11 because of a stray f***ing bullet? Just beyond sad to me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:30 PM)
I liked Rahm's statement, too.

But damn ... little kids just want to be little kids and live and play. To die at 11 years old is just ridiculously sad. That kid would have better off never being born. She has to exit the earth at 11 because of a stray f***ing bullet? Just beyond sad to me.

Would it have been better if she got hit by a car? drowned in a pool? It sucks any way you look at it. I see where the grandma demanded that anyone who knew something to come forward. Good luck with that. Something about snitches and stitches comes to mind...

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:32 AM)
Would it have been better if she got hit by a car? drowned in a pool? It sucks any way you look at it. I see where the grandma demanded that anyone who knew something to come forward. Good luck with that. Something about snitches and stitches comes to mind...

No offense, but you seem insensitive. Drowning or getting hit by a car would be a lousy accident. Unless the driver was DUI, then it would be manslaughter. But to think of some bastard firing a bullet into the window and knowing how happy the punk is to learn he actually hit and killed somebody just sickens me.

When I grew up in the city of Chicago (103rd southside) we didn't have to lock our doors at night. People had each other's backs. Now people are just shooting each other left and right each and every weekend. It shouldn't be this way.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 12:00 AM)
No offense, but you seem insensitive. Drowning or getting hit by a car would be a lousy accident. Unless the driver was DUI, then it would be manslaughter. But to think of some bastard firing a bullet into the window and knowing how happy the punk is to learn he actually hit and killed somebody just sickens me.

When I grew up in the city of Chicago (103rd southside) we didn't have to lock our doors at night. People had each other's backs. Now people are just shooting each other left and right each and every weekend. It shouldn't be this way.

And when you grew up it was happening twice as often as it does now. Based on that standard I think you should start melting people's locks down and selling them for scrap.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
And when you grew up it was happening twice as often as it does now. Based on that standard I think you should start melting people's locks down and selling them for scrap.

Apparently he doesn't remember all the stories like this in the early 90s back when Chicago was "safe"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sandifer

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
Apparently he doesn't remember all the stories like this in the early 90s back when Chicago was "safe"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sandifer

Jesus. I hadn't heard of that. What a mess.

But hey, at least it's all limited to like 3 neighborhoods, amiright? #suburbswithnocrime

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
Jesus. I hadn't heard of that. What a mess.

But hey, at least it's all limited to like 3 neighborhoods, amiright? #suburbswithnocrime

I was just 6 months older than that kid. I remember when that was all happening, I just couldn't believe a kid my age was living like that. It really gave me new appreciation for my "boring" suburban upbringing.

They found the kid on my birthday.

I also remember sitting in my SUV before a Sunday afternoon Bulls playoff game. We were parked in a small lot on the northside of the old Stadium. We were going to eat a little lunch in the car and drink a beer before the game. But a couple of "lazy" cops wouldn't walk past us quick enough. About five minutes later we heard a car backfire or something, then all hell broke loose in the courtyard of the high rises across the street. I saw older kids grabbing younger kids and running for cover. Those "lazy cops" were running towards the gun fire. Respect. The off duty Chicago cop that ran the parking lot chewed our asses out for not ducking when the shooting started. We kept staring out the windshield. I realized my kids would have no idea to run and take cover under the same conditions. They were just so removed from that sort of crime.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
Chicago is a war zone. This is very very very unacceptable and sad. 47 people shot over the weekend? God help us all. What a world we live in.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/21/justice/chic....html?hpt=hp_t2

I know this will destroy your view of the world but you should read this article.

Imagine living in a place where homicides have been reduced by more than half in the past two decades, where robberies are less common than they've been in nearly half a century, where car theft is at levels not seen since "The Dick Van Dyke Show" was still in production.

Actually, that's where Chicagoans do live. I was only pretending to talk about Indianapolis. Those developments have all occurred right here.

Right now, the city is getting national as well as local attention for outbreaks of bloodshed, which reinforce its reputation as the murder capital of America. In terms of total homicides, it may be. But that figure fails to account for population.

In the overall rate of violent crime, Chicago ranks 19th—slightly worse than Minneapolis and better than Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Nashville. It has half as much violent crime, per capita, as Detroit or Oakland, California.

Even when it comes to homicide, Chicago is enjoying, relatively speaking, a golden age. In 1992, it had 943 murders—2.6 per day. Last year, it had 415—1.1 per day. Two decades ago, such progress was the stuff of dreams.

In 2013, the murder rate (homicides per 100,000 residents) was the lowest it had been since Lyndon Johnson was in the White House. So far, the homicide total for 2014 is 206, a bit below last year's pace.

http://reason.com/archives/2014/07/21/the-...nce-in-chicago/

I know they put the murders in statistics, but what about shootings? Without trying to be insensitive, in Chicago at least, most shootings are gang related, and it seems a good percentage don't die and many of the people who are killed are innocent bystanders. These gang members aren't exactly expert marksmen.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
Yeah, I mean Greg shouldn't be such a woman about these things, but at the same time it's f***ed up that 80 people get shot and 14 killed in a 48 hour period.

My cousin is a Chicago cop and threw out an email to the family that he had to take an FBI weapons course and was being sent to the West Side to fight the gangs, after years of being based in the Gold Coast. My brother fired back some statistics from Switzerland which is where he lives, where 11 people are murdered per year in the entire country.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
My cousin is a Chicago cop and threw out an email to the family that he had to take an FBI weapons course and was being sent to the West Side to fight the gangs, after years of being based in the Gold Coast. My brother fired back some statistics from Switzerland which is where he lives, where 11 people are murdered per year in the entire country.

Guess what Switzerland doesn't have though...

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Even Italy only has a fourth of the gun murders per capita that the USA does. You're literally more likely to die by gun homicide in the USA than you are in Palestine (we're a lot less likely to get killed by missiles, though, so there's always that). Twice as likely to die by gun homicide here than in the Congo.

No two places are directly comparable, but we are a buttload more violent (particularly, violent w/ guns) than anywhere else that fancies itself as "developed" or "modern" in the world. Our loose gun laws are the very reason that people can say gangs are some strange, incomprehensible, not worth including in any estimate thing because they just always have guns.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
Even Italy only has a fourth of the gun murders per capita that the USA does. You're literally more likely to die by gun homicide in the USA than you are in Palestine (we're a lot less likely to get killed by missiles, though, so there's always that). Twice as likely to die by gun homicide here than in the Congo.

No two places are directly comparable, but we are a buttload more violent (particularly, violent w/ guns) than anywhere else that fancies itself as "developed" or "modern" in the world. Our loose gun laws are the very reason that people can say gangs are some strange, incomprehensible, not worth including in any estimate thing because they just always have guns.

Chicago has 'loose' gun laws?