Jake Peavy?

he gone.

I know there are a lot of names that can be thrown out for a #5 spot. Just bring this up since I saw it on MLB Traderumors this morning. They also mentioned us and the Padres as nice matches.

I for one would like to see us bring in someone with more possible upside to flip at the deadline, but I guess this wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

He'd come as a cheap alternative, probably no more than 1 year, $3mm + incentives. He also has always been known for his bulldog mentality. Figure he'd be a good clubhouse guy - you'd be getting yourself a $3mm pitching coach as much as an innings eater.

Again, don't think he's the high upside of a Chatwood or whoever else that maybe you hit on, but I think he fits the mold.

What say you Sox Talk?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)
I'd have no problem with him coming in to eat some innings for this season on a one year flyer type of deal.

I'm not sure they should sign him. The emphasis on next year should be building innings and experience for the youngsters. Plus Shields isn't going anywhere yet. Maybe if Rodon can't go but I think they should use Danish, covey or someone like that who may contrubute to the bullpen at a later date.

1. Rodon

2. Giolito

3. Lopez

4. Shields

5. Fulmer

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)
I'd be fine with it- he'd probably offer a lot of advice for Kopech/Giolito/Lopez/Fulmer. If we end up in the playoff hunt and he's a liability, we can always trade him or DFA him

I hated Jake Peavy's personality and wonder if some of the worst parts of Sale's personality were things he picked up from Peavy. All talk.

My thoughts are that Rodon won’t be ready at the outset of the season and fulmer will likely fall to a bullpen role. Sprinkle in a few injuries and kopech not up til later in the year? I think signing a better version of holland makes a whole bunch of sense.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 06:23 PM)
My thoughts are that Rodon won’t be ready at the outset of the season and fulmer will likely fall to a bullpen role. Sprinkle in a few injuries and kopech not up til later in the year? I think signing a better version of holland makes a whole bunch of sense.

Peavy had a 5.54 ERA in 2016 as a 35 year old pitching in San Francisco. If he's a better version of Holland it's just luck.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 05:34 PM)
Peavy had a 5.54 ERA in 2016 as a 35 year old pitching in San Francisco. If he's a better version of Holland it's just luck.

I'd rather they give those innings to a young guy who could possibly figure things out in the majors and become an asset. We might get lucky.

Plus I doubt Peavy would want to come back here. It's cold and dreary and he's a southern/California guy.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
I'd rather they give those innings to a young guy who could possibly figure things out in the majors and become an asset. We might get lucky.

Plus I doubt Peavy would want to come back here. It's cold and dreary and he's a southern/California guy.

I still think "the best starter we can find" is a perfect rule 5 draft pick.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 07:13 PM)
I guess the question would be...What's the upside? What's the best case scenario here?

He didn't pitch at all in 2017, and in 2016 he was BAD...in the NL....In San Fran. I know he'll come cheap, but what are the odds he has enough value in July to spin him for something? I mean that's the main reason you're signing him, right?

Again, just don't see the upside in that type of move.

I'd offer him a million dollars and throw him in the bullpen out of ST, how's that? Think he's going to be game for that?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
The Sox aren't making the playoffs, they're going to be as bad as they were this past season

If they hold Abreu and Garcia I think there's a good chance they're moderately better. Jiminez looks like he's going to be a monster. Moncada may struggle some but he's here for a full year and that's going to improve offense right there. Hopefully Anderson's troubles are past him and he's a better player. The catchers are decent and could continue getting better. Lopez and Giolito and Fulmer is at least more promising than anything we had in our rotation last year, and we're already used to Rodon being missing. The only part right now that is clearly worse is the bullpen, but you have 100% got to expect we'll bring in some people there, if for no reason other than to try to find the next Kahnle and Swarzak.

They trade those 2 and yeah, there's 2 key positions where we're now substantially worse, balancing out the ones where we should expect some improvement.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)

I think they will give fulmer every opportunity to start. At least through the end of May.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
Strongly disagree. This is a team that was above .500 in September, and the young guys are only getting better.

I'd be shocked if we made the playoffs with the current state of the team. Our bullpen is a massive question mark, and it will likely take some time for our young players to adjust to the major leagues. I think we could be a little better in 2018, but .500 would be best case scenario in my mind.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 09:31 PM)
Strongly disagree. This is a team that was above .500 in September, and the young guys are only getting better.

A bottom feeder team playing well when the pressure is off in September is fool's gold if you're thinking it will progress from there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
I hated Jake Peavy's personality and wonder if some of the worst parts of Sale's personality were things he picked up from Peavy. All talk.

I don't think this is true at all. Wasn't it Chris Sale's former college coach that said he was always fired up on the mound?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 09:31 PM)

Decent chance that if there is a really a trade market for Avi, that both Avi and Abreu go out the door this winter. That changes the whole equation.