Sox acquire Thyago Vieria

ChiSox59

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The #WhiteSox have acquired minor-league pitcher Thyago Vieira from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for international signing bonus pool money. https://t.co/ZMxIHPEJcM

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/931205448421789714

He was selected to compete for the World Team at the All-Star Futures Game in Miami, where he threw 0.2 scoreless IP.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/931205628760031233

Vieira, who currently is rated by @MLBPipeline as the No. 8 Prospect in the Mariners organization, pitched for Team Brazil at the 2013 World Baseball Classic.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/931205860809986049

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Nice move. As others, I don't expect us to compete for Otani, so taking advantage of that market in this way is nice to see.

Burr and now Vieria are the types of players I like seeing added.

Even the SS we added from the Rangers is a decent prospect. That kid was a 7 figure signing bonus and is still young.

Nice move. As others, I don't expect us to compete for Otani, so taking advantage of that market in this way is nice to see.

Just give away all the international money to Otani's suitors for more warm bodies.

Not sure how much the sox have left in pool money but most they can give ohtani is 300k. So any money they have over that is free game.

On twitter, the prospect guys are loving this trade for white sox which is nice to hear.

His k rate is surprisingly low to me for this kind of arsenal, but I'm so excited for our pitching coordinators and Cooper to work with him.

This guy could be Kahnle 2.0, and was in AAA last year so may be on our bullpen this year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
He's also got a power curve. If he figures it out command wise, him and Burdi at the back end of the pen.....oh my.....

Very solid move

From MLB.com

"Scouting grades: Fastball: 80 | Curveball: 55 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

Signed out of Brazil in 2010, Vieira made his stateside debut as a starter in '13 but shifted to bullpen the following year at Class A Clinton with the hope that it could accelerate his development. Instead, the right-hander's control problems worsened, ultimately limiting him to just 51 2/3 innings over 35 appearances from 2014-15. Vieira made huge strides in '16, however, turning in a breakout campaign in the Class A Advanced California League and then impressing in the Arizona Fall League. Building on that success in Double-A earned Vieira a spot on the World Team roster in the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game, where he showcased his triple-digit heat to a national audience.

Vieira owns the best fastball among Mariners farmhands, sitting consistently at 97-100 mph and touching 102. His power curveball in the low 80s has come on strong in the last year, giving him the requisite two pitches to profile as a late-inning arm in the big leagues. The right-hander also has made gains with his control, though his overall efficiency, especially in terms of getting ahead of hitters, leaves much to be desired.

Vieira has the makings of a future closer in the big leagues, though he'll face stiff competition for the role with a slew of other hard-throwing Mariner relievers ahead of him on the depth chart. Regardless, he's poised to make an impact at the highest level soon than later."

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Not sure how much the sox have left in pool money but most they can give ohtani is 300k. So any money they have over that is free game.

While this is technically true, but providing more signing money to the teams that are the most likely and competitive to sign him they are decreasing their chances each day. We are not suitors for the guy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
While this is technically true, but providing more signing money to the teams that are the most likely and competitive to sign him they are decreasing their chances each day. We are not suitors for the guy.

The way I see it, if we still have $300k we have enough to get our lottery ticket, but we also just gave another team more tickets. Yeah, we could still have a chance, and thats worth keeping, but getting something back for lessening that chance is fine by me.

I would like for them to keep $300k, make a nice pitch to him and at least try. Unless of course teams come to us and offer good prospects for our remaining space.

Edited by soxfan2014

The guy is losing millions by not waiting a couple years to come over later. He wants to come and has said he's not as worried about money. Most he can get from a team is 3.5 million. Mariners only have 1.5 million anyway.