David Robertson

Jose Abreu

Now that he's healthy, he looks to be pretty unhittable. If he keeps it up, his trade value will obviously increase. Say it's the all-star break, and he's top-5 in the AL in saves with a sub-2 ERA, improved peripherals, etc. What could he fetch in a trade?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 14, 2017 -> 11:17 PM)
If the Sox are serious about this rebuild crap you trade him now. Immediately while he's this hot.

Agreed. You just absolutely force a team into trading for him in the 2nd week of April.

Anywho, I said it in the game thread but DRob continuing to be nasty is the best thing that could happen for this rebuild. If he can keep his numbers pretty great for a few months then he can really net us something good come June or July.

Greg, why not wait until there are more bidders in June/July? Supply and demand.

Sure, the Mariners or Giants, etc., could use him, but they're not ready to overpay just two weeks into the season. Not to mention they have a good structure in terms of defined roles for now with Putnam pitching well again and Jones finding his old form.

Let's all start throwing out random trade packages, because f*** it.

Robertson to....

Nationals for SS Juan Soto and OF Andrew Stevenson

Giants for 1B Chris Shaw and OF Bryan Reynolds

Rangers for C Jose Trevino, RHP Alex Speas, OF Jairo Beras

Mariners for OF Brayan Hernande and 3B Joe Rizzo

Cardinals for C Carson Kelly and OF Magneuris Sierra

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Well Miller and Chapman yielded elite prospects each.

On the other hand, Melancon, who might be a better comp., yielded a young reliever and a lottery prospect. But he was a pure rent.

There are several teams who clearly need someone now. I know pre June trades are unusual, but some team should step to the plate. Robertson is having a great year, but he's also been a very good pitcher for several years and has another year left.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Apr 14, 2017 -> 11:44 PM)
Cardinals have said publicly they're concerned about the bullpen. Deep pockets. Decent farm.

Give me Carson Kelly and some other decent prospect and I'll be very happy. Yadier signing 3-year extension really blocks Kelly, and both are tremendous defensively, so you can't move either off of their position.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 14, 2017 -> 11:28 PM)
Let's all start throwing out random trade packages, because f*** it.

Robertson to....

Nationals for SS Juan Soto and OF Andrew Stevenson

Giants for 1B Chris Shaw and OF Bryan Reynolds

Rangers for C Jose Trevino, RHP Alex Speas, OF Jairo Beras

Mariners for OF Brayan Hernandez, 3B Joe Rizzo

I know I have fallen out of the loop as far as prospects are concerned, but I like to think I pay enough attention to know a prospect or two from each team, and if Robertson continues pitching like this, then none of these packages are worthwhile. Aroldis Chapman, as a walk year free agent, was used to acquire Gleyber Torres, one of the best prospects in the game. The Yankees also got a huge haul from the Indians for Andrew Miller, who is on a similar contract to that of Robertson. If Robertson appears to be one of the 5-10 best relievers in the game come June or July, the Sox are getting legitimate top prospects for him.

If these are all very good prospects, then I apologize.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 04:24 AM)
Greg, why not wait until there are more bidders in June/July? Supply and demand.

Sure, the Mariners or Giants, etc., could use him, but they're not ready to overpay just two weeks into the season. Not to mention they have a good structure in terms of defined roles for now with Putnam pitching well again and Jones finding his old form.

Because he's nasty, unhittable (right now). He's gonna have 7 blown saves by the all star break, you wait. Personally I'm not a rebuild guy. I'm saying IF THE SOX are serious about this rebuild crap, you deal him now. Some team can get him for the whole season and right now he looks like the greatest reliever of all time. We've seen this before. He is excellent. But he also will lose it. He blows a lot of saves traditionally and the blown saves are coming. So many teams need a closer. Trade him now for 4-5 prospects, 1-2 prize prospects.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Apr 14, 2017 -> 11:44 PM)
Cardinals have said publicly they're concerned about the bullpen. Deep pockets. Decent farm.

They would also be a market for Frazier if he'd get his act together. Peralta is terrible.

That said, I'm not convinced that they are serious contenders. They may sell some in July.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 12:16 AM)
Because he's nasty, unhittable (right now). He's gonna have 7 blown saves by the all star break, you wait. Personally I'm not a rebuild guy. I'm saying IF THE SOX are serious about this rebuild crap, you deal him now. Some team can get him for the whole season and right now he looks like the greatest reliever of all time. We've seen this before. He is excellent. But he also will lose it. He blows a lot of saves traditionally and the blown saves are coming. So many teams need a closer. Trade him now for 4-5 prospects, 1-2 prize prospects.

nobody's trading right now....not even realistic at this point.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 12:16 AM)

I get what you're saying, but nobody will pay a lot for a closer in April. There hasn't been time for injuries, bad seasons, established pennant races, etc.

I think we just have to cross our fingers and hope he somewhat holds this form for a couple of months.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 12:12 AM)
I know I have fallen out of the loop as far as prospects are concerned, but I like to think I pay enough attention to know a prospect or two from each team, and if Robertson continues pitching like this, then none of these packages are worthwhile. Aroldis Chapman, as a walk year free agent, was used to acquire Gleyber Torres, one of the best prospects in the game. The Yankees also got a huge haul from the Indians for Andrew Miller, who is on a similar contract to that of Robertson. If Robertson appears to be one of the 5-10 best relievers in the game come June or July, the Sox are getting legitimate top prospects for him.

If these are all very good prospects, then I apologize.

Every name except the Rangers OF are in each team's top 10 current prospects, but none of them are top 50 prospects or so in baseball (since you quoted before my Cardinals addition). Yes, definitely less than Chapman or Miller got, but Robertson is also not even close to their levels. Yeah, he's lights out now, but no one is going to trade for him under the assumption he will be unhittable.

Just trying to be realistic about a guy we all thought needed to be attached to a large chunk of cash to trade this offseason prior to his what, 4 appearances this year?

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 14, 2017 -> 11:20 PM)
Agreed. You just absolutely force a team into trading for him in the 2nd week of April.

Anywho, I said it in the game thread but DRob continuing to be nasty is the best thing that could happen for this rebuild. If he can keep his numbers pretty great for a few months then he can really net us something good come June or July.

:lol:

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
You don't play baseball games for the sole purpose of trading your players. Why don't we just enjoy baseball and root for the Sox for awhile

Sadly, sometimes you do have to play baseball with a primary purpose of trading your good players, when your plans for trying to win with those players have failed so miserably. Wouldn't it have been nice if the owner and his current management team could have figured out a way in the past several years to make the kinds of decisions that would have resulted in success on the field which would have avoided the need to discuss having to trade these players now?

Based on your consistent commentary on the matter, you are obviously content with any form of baseball, winning or losing, as long as it has the White Sox stamp on it. That's fine for those who set the bar as low as you seemingly do, but for those who would like to return to the ranks of the winning, you should probably pull back on the criticism of those who don't share your willingness to tolerate the lack of winning of this franchise.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 07:46 PM)
You don't play baseball games for the sole purpose of trading your players. Why don't we just enjoy baseball and root for the Sox for awhile

Because the Sox have told us they've started this pathetic slow rebuild. So we have to take them at their word and tell Hahn he needs to trade David ASAP and he blew it by not dumping Q this past offseason.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 10:07 PM)
Based on your consistent commentary on the matter, you are obviously content with any form of baseball, winning or losing, as long as it has the White Sox stamp on it. That's fine for those who set the bar as low as you seemingly do, but for those who would like to return to the ranks of the winning, you should probably pull back on the criticism of those who don't share your willingness to tolerate the lack of winning of this franchise.

That's a very nice way of telling El Rockin to shut up. Kidding. El Rockin you must remember is the best Sox fan alive. I'm serious. This guy sees the current product, wants it to win, roots for it to win and thinks its postseason bound. Hats off to El Rockin.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)

Is it not possible to enjoy baseball while discussing the potential future trades? I know I'm enjoying White Sox baseball.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)

You're allowed to enjoy baseball any way you want but so is everyone else.